Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Saudia business: FCO-CGK under 500 Euros one way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saudia business: FCO-CGK under 500 Euros one way

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:22 am

CMB - MAN was up for grabs some months ago around 490gbp
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
GVA - KUL was also pretty cheap late last year...
Basicy cities where they operate with a narrow body plane from Europe to Saudia Arabia...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by jfkeze
GVA - KUL was also pretty cheap late last year...
Basicy cities where they operate with a narrow body plane from Europe to Saudia Arabia...
They literally seem to be giving away the seat on this one at under 1000 Euros.
Any clue what the GVA KUL fares were last year? I am thinking of a spontaneous trip - KUL would be a better destination as there are numerous Air Asia destinations ex-KUL.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Many
The cheapest GVA-KUL with SV is now well over 2000 EUR.
They have killed all el cheapo fares involving narrowbodies except the MXP/FCO-CGK one.
Better act quick to use this one before it gets killed too.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: EY plat, TK plat, UA 1K, AF plat, AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by bodory
The cheapest GVA-KUL with SV is now well over 2000 EUR.
They have killed all el cheapo fares involving narrowbodies except the MXP/FCO-CGK one.
Better act quick to use this one before it gets killed too.
IST-CGK is available all year long for about 800EUR OW and 1150EUR RT and
IST-KUL 750EUR OW and 1050EUR RT right now
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
They literally seem to be giving away the seat on this one at under 1000 Euros.
Any clue what the GVA KUL fares were last year? I am thinking of a spontaneous trip - KUL would be a better destination as there are numerous Air Asia destinations ex-KUL.
I paid 865 euro GVA-KUL last February. Excellent experience. Would do it again without hesitation.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by janwillem
I paid 865 euro GVA-KUL last February. Excellent experience. Would do it again without hesitation.
It amazes me how a lot of people poo poo the other MEA’s when for these ridiculously low prices you get a bed, decent food and lots of luggage. And if you do a few of them usually enough miles for a free flight.
People..... just booze up in the lounges and sleep on the plane.

Oh and use these flight to actually go somewhere
ubiest and ElJudioErrante like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by RVH85
Are those the flights in a 2-3-2 setup?
2-2-2
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Apparently QR has some C flights CGK-DOH-MXP for about 1k USD if you want to get back in style, too.
bodory and mattspod like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Reporting in after completing the Saudia business class trip.

Flights.
Europe to Jeddah and return.
Was comfortable. A320 with excellent legspace. Good food service. Nothing offered to drink with a meal (except water)
Good entertainment system for the short flight. Smiling happy faces for cabin attendants.

Jeddah to Jakarta and return
Excellent 777-300 hard product. Good cabin staff. No complaints.

Lounge in Jeddah.
Extremely long layover on the way back. 8+ hours.
The toilets were horrendously dirty. (At least they were not as horrible as the ones outside the lounge that were unusable.)
Temps must have been set to 12 degrees C. It was FREEZING. They could not help - saying that there were no temperature controls - and that people complained about this all the time.
Food: served promptly at 8pm. Pasta. Beef stroganoff. Desserts. Bland. Edible but thats about all I have to say.
What was shocking was that in the middle of the night, a Saudia representative came and started waking people up saying they were not allowed to sleep in the lounge.
I attempted to politely remind him he was randomly waking up people and not waking up some (call me crazy, but he was waking up non- Caucasian, non Arab people only...)
Losing my temper would have got me nowhere. Welcome to the authoritarian mentality of the middle east...

Airport
Its a bit out of the 1960s. A lot of warm staff, locals and migrant South Asian labor.
But not an airport you would ever want to remember. Two or three bad eating places in the waiting area (that had people sitting on the floor because there was not enough sitting space.)
Did not look very hygienic...

The new terminal apparently will open in Q2 to domestic flights and end of the year for full operations.
Then again, apparently they say this every passing year.

Bottom line - for 1000 Euros in business, 150% flying blue miles and one roundtrip getting you 100 XP points - I'd say it was worth it.
I just hope they change their flight schedules to allow for better connections on the return... aside from this and the nut in the lounge going around waking up people in the middle of the night - I'd say it was a good investment.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thanks for the detailed report!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:18 am

Unfortunately this fare no longer exists.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by bodory
Unfortunately this fare no longer exists.
In the last years, the cheap fares ex-MXP, FCO and IST have popped up and disappeared all the time. I think it's just a matter of patience before they appear again.

For those who are by the way interested in my trip report FCO-RUH-CGK, you can read it here and check pictures of the SV hard product, food, Riyad Airport and lounge etc.

Java in J: Indonesia With Saudia, Singapore and Garuda in Business Class

Until Jeddah's new terminal is fully operational Riyadh is by far a more pleasant and easier place to transit (although don't get your hopes up too high as it's still small and boring - Dubai it is decidedly not!). Yet as gottaluvNW remarked I would also do it again in a heartbeat for the right price as it's worth the Flying Blue XP - and I arrived in Asia well rested without any hangover my biggest complaint was also the lack of pro-active drinks service! I can't wrap my head around why it's so hard to come around through the cabin and ask people what they want for a drink - even if all you have are juices and sodas.
bodory and kbl like this.

Last edited by Romanianflyer; Jan 8, 2019 at 8:54 am
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Platinum
Seems like your link is not working, was curious reading up on this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
The link is working for me..! Otherwise, here are the links to the individual installments:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30283523-post19.html - FCO-RUH on the narrowbody plane
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30288023-post20.html - RUH and the Alfursan Lounge
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30289540-post23.html - RUH-CGK on a Saudi widebody

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.