Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AC : YYZ -> SFO for $1087 CAD in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC : YYZ -> SFO for $1087 CAD in J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG
I'm pretty new to the forums - so i apologize in advance if this question seems elementary - but why are people looking at this as a mileage run? Best I can tell - you'd be getting ~ 4K miles flown (+50% J class bonus) for ~1,200-1,400 USD for a r/t.

Wouldn't the YYZ/YUL/YVR/YYC - CMN/RBA/RAK be better for mileage run? I that J fare was ~2K USD for ~14K miles flown and potentially upto 4 legs on AC's new J pod's. Just curious as to why this transcon is generating a decent amount of interest (outside of regular flyers of this route.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No one is looking at this as a mileage run.

It's just a premium fare deal.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aba_bab
I'm pretty new to the forums - so i apologize in advance if this question seems elementary - but why are people looking at this as a mileage run? Best I can tell - you'd be getting ~ 4K miles flown (+50% J class bonus) for ~1,200-1,400 USD for a r/t.

Wouldn't the YYZ/YUL/YVR/YYC - CMN/RBA/RAK be better for mileage run? I that J fare was ~2K USD for ~14K miles flown and potentially upto 4 legs on AC's new J pod's. Just curious as to why this transcon is generating a decent amount of interest (outside of regular flyers of this route.
Let me start by welcoming you to Flyertalk. You're absolutely correct that this doesn't fall under the traditional definition of a mileage run. The roundtrip would net you 8,000-10,000 miles and you're spending $820 USD out of pocket which means the CPM is around 12 cents.

One of the things to keep in mind for premium fares are that the rules are more relaxed, we're looking at fares that are significantly less than what you would historically find. Different people have different rules for what makes a good premium fare (i.e. the fare cost around $50 per hour or flight). The general rule I work from is: if a business class fare is twice the cost of the normal economy fare then it is a good deal. This happens to be the case for this fare and is certainly a welcome announcement compared to the 4x-6x it would normally cost over economy when booking direct with AC.

You'll realize when you do enough flying that sometimes the logic of the cheapest fare no longer makes sense and you'll find ways to either upgrade the fare cheap (i.e. ToD upgrades on United) or in this case jump on the opportunity to get "cheap" J fares when they're available. Try doing several 13-15 hours trans pacific flights in middle seat in economy and you'll see what I mean!

Hope this provides insight into the thought process.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG
aah- got it - thanks guys. I had misinterpreted the conversation initially as a cheap fare to try out AC's widebody J class/ or mileage run.

I understand the context better now. Thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.