Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/IB ALG-LAX rt Business $1500-1900

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA/IB ALG-LAX rt Business $1500-1900

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: LH*HON, UA*1K,
I am just in ALG right now!

I came today on Iberia from MAD now connection to EK to DXB in F.
Two separate tickets.
I had everything at check in Madrid, including a timatic printout. I was flying business to ALG + BA emerald. So I though I have everything that would make them spend a little more time. I couldn’t be more wrong. They told me no visa no fly. Bla bla bla. Then I just went to the gates with my mobile boardingpass, no one cared and I took the flight ??? Iberia is a Crazy Company. Anyways if you do it - only with hand-luggage!
In Algiers I walked straight to a Swissport agent and they arranged everything. Boardingpasses very friendly but I don’t think they are happy about transit people.

So it’s possible but don’t do with Iberia, they give a .... about everything even the supervisor was not helping at all. He said I don’t care what timatic says you don’t fly without visa...

Now I will enjoy my EK F
Calchas and linz36 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I kept our CAI-LHR-LAX-(MEX) AA J fares instead of refunding and using the IB fare via LAX. The AA fare was full J and so allowed easy upgrade to F of AAs 77W on LHR-LAX for just 25k miles each. It’s now dead so time to move on for the next trip.
The more I look at some of the other fares discussed here, the more I think they could provide some advantages over the IB fare (as cheap as it is). First, it’s hard to get the IB fare to work to its full potential (the free LAX-JFK roundtrip) due to restrictions on I class availability on JFK-LAX-JFK, especially if you are flying with 4 or more pax. Second, if you are on the west coast, but not LAX you have some positioning costs.
That is why I am looking again at the AA D fares that were mentioned upthread. There is a ALG-SEA one on AA, D fare so it allows easy upgrade on AA LHR-LAX-LHR to F. It’s a bit more than the IB fare but if i add up all the plusses and minusses it seems to come out slightly ahead.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by DrSE
I am just in ALG right now!

I came today on Iberia from MAD now connection to EK to DXB in F.
Two separate tickets.
I had everything at check in Madrid, including a timatic printout. I was flying business to ALG + BA emerald. So I though I have everything that would make them spend a little more time. I couldn’t be more wrong. They told me no visa no fly. Bla bla bla. Then I just went to the gates with my mobile boardingpass, no one cared and I took the flight ??? Iberia is a Crazy Company. Anyways if you do it - only with hand-luggage!
In Algiers I walked straight to a Swissport agent and they arranged everything. Boardingpasses very friendly but I don’t think they are happy about transit people.

So it’s possible but don’t do with Iberia, they give a .... about everything even the supervisor was not helping at all. He said I don’t care what timatic says you don’t fly without visa...

Now I will enjoy my EK F
Wow ! Just, wow !!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Is this still live?
IAANN likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:08 am
Suspended

Has anyone done this?

1. Is VISA FREE transit being allowed?

2. How long roughly does it take and what's the MCT?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Has anyone done this?

1. Is VISA FREE transit being allowed?

2. How long roughly does it take and what's the MCT?
Forgive me for the directness ... but have you actually read this thread at all?
jmail1, allset2travel, AJO and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
Forgive me for the directness ... but have you actually read this thread at all?
Yes, opinions seem to be all over the place about what is and is not allowed. There's another thread in the Africa forum that contradicts parts of this, and I emailed Swissport and was told visa free transfer is fine. Trying to gather as many data points as possible.

Also concerning info from SOME but not ALL people in this thread about carrier not wanting to board people TO Algeria even if they have onward connecting tickets to a 3rd country on another booking.

I am trying to book CDG-ALG on AF connecting to the IB/BA/AA fare in the OP ALG-MAD-LHR-LAX-JFK-MAD-ALG then on landing in ALG the second time, connect a few hours later on AZ to FCO. I want to make sure that if I book this, AF will let me board in CDG, and that AA or IB let me board on my way back to ALG. Swissport (theoretically) confirmed that there will be no issue in transit and one of their agents will walk me through to the transit area/security, but who knows.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Yes, opinions seem to be all over the place about what is and is not allowed. There's another thread in the Africa forum that contradicts parts of this, and I emailed Swissport and was told visa free transfer is fine. Trying to gather as many data points as possible.

Also concerning info from SOME but not ALL people in this thread about carrier not wanting to board people TO Algeria even if they have onward connecting tickets to a 3rd country on another booking.

I am trying to book CDG-ALG on AF connecting to the IB/BA/AA fare in the OP ALG-MAD-LHR-LAX-JFK-MAD-ALG then on landing in ALG the second time, connect a few hours later on AZ to FCO. I want to make sure that if I book this, AF will let me board in CDG, and that AA or IB let me board on my way back to ALG. Swissport (theoretically) confirmed that there will be no issue in transit and one of their agents will walk me through to the transit area/security, but who knows.
Well, you are somewhat out on the wild frontier with these ex-sandpit fares so the only way to approach them is with an adventurous spirit and a walletful of Avios to rescue you if things go a bit Pete Tong
allset2travel likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fitch
Well, you are somewhat out on the wild frontier with these ex-sandpit fares so the only way to approach them is with an adventurous spirit and a walletful of Avios to rescue you if things go a bit Pete Tong
I booked CDG-ALG with a four hour connection to ALG-MAD(overnight)-JFK-LAX(stop)-LHR-MAD(overnight)-ALG, figure I might as well apply for a multi entry visa then I'll have no issue boarding in CDG, and I can stop in ALG for a bit on the back on of the trip before continuing ALG-LGW with Avios. Will report here when I travel in Oct/Nov. Great fare (if all goes smoothly), see a new place, visit friends in LA and get over the hump to ExecPlat.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Governing rule for this is Resolution 701 (Inadmissible passengers and deportees) 2.8.
2. Inadmissible passengers.
[...]
2.8 If the inbound carrier is unable, whether because of law, government regulations or inability of the passenger to pay, to collect the required fare from the inadmissible passenger, that carrier shall prorate the outstanding amount of fare amongst all carriers having participated in inbound carriage in proportion to their participation in inbound carriage, and in accordance with procedures provided in the IATA Revenue Accounting Manual; all carriers participating in the outbound carriage, which have not participated in the inbound carriage, shall receive their full transportation charges from the outbound ticket in accordance with normal interline revenue accounting procedures.
So who is a carrier who "participated in inbound carriage"?
1.4 “PARTICIPATING IN INBOUND CARRIAGE” means all carriers (including the inbound carrier) involved in an inadmissible passenger's continuous through journey from last point of stopover or point of origin, as the case may be, to the place at which admission to a country or onward carriage is refused to the passenger;
So I see no reason why AA shouldn't cough up.

NB, BA & AA may have agreed between themselves different rules. This is just the default provision that applies between IATA members.
I eventually modified my trip and added a stopover in MAD (3days) on my way to ALG. Would you know by any chance where I could find the Resolution 701 stating the visa should be checked at the last stopover ? I fear they might ask me the visa anyway and I would like to be prepared to react ...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Resolution only deals with inadmissible passengers and deportees and the liability of the airlines involved. It doesn’t say “visas must be checked”. I’m just setting out a reason why a carrier might want to check documents. It is in the IATA Passenger Services Conference Manual.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
@Calchas, as I said before really interesting stuff and a useful reminder that what seems an obvious fact to the layman is often completely wrong !
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: LH*HON, UA*1K,
Quick update
I’m in ALG again came from DXB with EK in F.
Check in in Dubai took 2 minutes no problems with TWOV.
When I arrived in ALG 2 Swissport Ladys where already waiting with my onward boardingpass and a sign with my name. Emirates called the station before. The process took 5 minutes in total which is amazing.
You can clearly see the difference between a quality airline like Emirates and a .... (sorry) arrogant airline like Iberia. The check in supervisor should be fired. He had one job and he failed. A computer would do his job better!
just my opinion
Calchas and linz36 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Hey there, is there any way to get the Iberia fare (around US$1425-1500) with two JFK stops?
For example,
ALG-MAD-JFK-LAX
And return?
I'd like to try and get 600 TPs on the fare if possible at one time.
Otherwise seems like the $1825 AA/BA fares will get 600TPs.

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Hey there, is there any way to get the Iberia fare (around US$1425-1500) with two JFK stops?
For example,
ALG-MAD-JFK-LAX
And return?
I'd like to try and get 600 TPs on the fare if possible at one time.
Otherwise seems like the $1825 AA/BA fares will get 600TPs.

Thanks for any help!
this has been covered time and again. The IB fare is ALG-JFK, despite the thread title. In this case, it would price as either the sum of ALG-JFK + JFK-LAX returns, or as ALG-LAX return, contingent upon how you search in ITA Matrix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.