Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

BA ams-lhr-mct-lhr PE £413

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA ams-lhr-mct-lhr PE £413

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Just took this flight. Both directions, they refused to upgrade with points, and said I would have to pay the difference to J if I wanted to.
Refused when? Would you not be able to book it, then go back to your EC account and upgrade?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:45 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Just took this flight. Both directions, they refused to upgrade with points, and said I would have to pay the difference to J if I wanted to.

Flight was still fine - just a headsup.
Well upgrades to J are based on availability via EC. You can't do it at the airport. You sound like you expected it to be guaranteed?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold

Flight was still fine - just a headsup.
Did you book this as part of a BA flight + hotel package? If so then you can't UuA...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by travelwithross
Well upgrades to J are based on availability via EC. You can't do it at the airport. You sound like you expected it to be guaranteed?
It never gave me the ability to upgrade online, it always told me to call and ask.

I called when I booked, they told me to check weekly for upgrade availability which I did. Closer to the date of departure, I checked daily, and then asked at the airport when I arrived, since there were still seats available. Did not purchase as part of a flight/hotel package, just bought the tickets through this deal.

I wasn't expecting an upgrade, just surprised they wouldn't let me use the points despite the fact that the seats were going to go empty.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
It never gave me the ability to upgrade online, it always told me to call and ask.

I called when I booked, they told me to check weekly for upgrade availability which I did. Closer to the date of departure, I checked daily, and then asked at the airport when I arrived, since there were still seats available. Did not purchase as part of a flight/hotel package, just bought the tickets through this deal.

I wasn't expecting an upgrade, just surprised they wouldn't let me use the points despite the fact that the seats were going to go empty.
This is the way BA operates. You can always upgrade by paying the fare difference, but because seats are empty doesn’t mean BA will open them for redemptions.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
Did you book this as part of a BA flight + hotel package? If so then you can't UuA...
It can be done:

Upgrade flights on BA Holiday booking

Palmer
mickeyjaw likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
FYI, it's cheaper to go from Barcelona.

Just booked BCN-MCT WT+ return for £298.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
FYI, it's cheaper to go from Barcelona.

Just booked BCN-MCT WT+ return for £298.
Do you have any example dates for that? The cheapest I can see is £497...

Last edited by mickeyjaw; Oct 22, 2017 at 6:28 am Reason: Stupid autocorrect
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:22 am

Do you have any example dates for that? The cheapest I can see is £497...
https://www.kayak.co.uk/flights/BCN-...t=bestflight_a

Shows at £307, but go into Iberia site, play around with changing flights (get the LGW or LTN final leg, for example) and you can get it for sub-£300.

Possible to do one night stay, too, meaning just 24hrs in Muscat.

It's an Iberia Premium Economy Promotional fare (despite all the flights being on BA), accessible direct from the carrier's site.
There's a business promo fare, too, at about £799 e/w. So a 240TP mixed CW (redeye) & WT+ (daytime) run could be achieved for £950 total.

When that promo is pulled, that'll be the end of it.

Note: it's not Avios upgradable.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:40 am

OK never mind. Was hoping it was available as BA prime to get double avios.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:46 am

OK never mind. Was hoping it was available as BA prime to get double avios.
Would still be eligible:
"Fly with us before 31 December 2017 and you’ll collect double Avios on every British Airways flight, including services with a BA flight number on our partner airlines American Airlines, Finnair and Iberia."

Here's an example in November: https://www.kayak.co.uk/flights/BCN-...eturn=20171127

Lots of other availability, too.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:49 am

Would still be eligible:
"Fly with us before 31 December 2017 and you’ll collect double Avios on every British Airways flight, including services with a BA flight number on our partner airlines American Airlines, Finnair and Iberia."

Here's an example in November: https://www.kayak.co.uk/flights/BCN-...eturn=20171127

At least, that's my understanding of it. My booking is an 075 ticket (not 125), but all flights are BAxxxx, so I'd call that "BA flight number". Should be eligible [for double Avios promo 2017] (although not for me, as I'm flying in January, after the cut-off point).

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Oct 22, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold

Yeah, but I booked for February. No extra miles. But even so a nice deal. Fare is available from all of Benelux and BCN (AFAIK) and includes AUH, BAH, MCT, DXB and DOH (those are the ones I tested). Opted for MCT in the hopes that the new terminal will be open by then.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:51 pm

Hmmm... I'm still not convinced that an IB codeshare qualifies for the double Avios promotion if it's on an IB flight number. From the T&Cs:

Qualifying Flights

4) Subject to Clause 6, a Qualifying Flight is a published or corporate negotiated net fare flight in any selling class or cabin, with: (i) a BA prefix on a BA long-haul or short-haul operated service to any destination on the BA global network or (ii) a BA prefix on a transatlantic flight between Europe and North America operated by BA, American Airlines (AA), Iberia (IB) or Finnair (AY) between the Europe, Norway, Switzerland and North America, Mexico and Puerto Rico (iii) any OpenSkies service from Paris Orly to Newark or New York JFK (iv) all domestic and regional BA (operated by SUNAIR of Scandinavia) flights within Europe. The promotion does not apply to travel on flights operated by any other BA franchisees, codeshare partners or oneworld Alliance members.
That wording would seem to imply it needs to be a BA flight number (prefix) but all the flights I can see on the Iberia website have an IB number/prefix even when operated by BA...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:08 pm

Hmmm... I'm still not convinced that an IB codeshare qualifies for the double Avios promotion if it's on an IB flight number. From the T&Cs:

That wording would seem to imply it needs to be a BA flight number (prefix) but all the flights I can see on the Iberia website have an IB number/prefix even when operated by BA...
You may be correct, based on those terms.

Although I'm not 100 per cent sure... oddly, the booking I've made directly from the IB site has given all the flight prefixes as BA ones within the BA app (while others I've made separately with Finnair and AA show as AY and AA, respectively).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.