Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AB from $2200 various USA-various Europe/TLV in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AB from $2200 various USA-various Europe/TLV in J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Check your credit card. I believe US credit cards are refundable if the airline goes under, and its not a matter of insurance. Debit cards are different. This can be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy for an airline in financial trouble, however, as credit card companies won't just give the money to an airline they view as a financial risk since are holding the bag. That creates cash flow problems for the airline, etc. If this is important for you, confirm my understanding and I have no idea what Euro credit card rules are on this issue.

As for AB, what are the earnings for an Aadvantage member for this fare and any thoughts on how it compares to AA's biz cabin?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by work2fly
That's not the only option. Assuming your credit card doesn't provide the type of coverage you need, there may be other third party providers that are cheaper than Orbitz.

Would hate to see the airline go under after the window for a chargeback closes.
FWIW, the one time I had to actually use my Allianz travel insurance I found the company responsive and that it was pretty easy to get the refund I sought.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Lufthansa is probably going to buy them, so I doubt there is much to worry about.

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Saga class on Icelandair is domestic F. Condor J is just 2x2x2 recliners. AB has flat beds and judging from the reviews some really good cuisine too.
Condor isn't recliners, they have angle flats. Not as nice as beds, but still nice. Their J soft product is true J too.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Is this deal still live?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:48 pm

Still bookable on the AirBerlin site.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Check your credit card. I believe US credit cards are refundable if the airline goes under, and its not a matter of insurance. Debit cards are different. This can be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy for an airline in financial trouble, however, as credit card companies won't just give the money to an airline they view as a financial risk since are holding the bag. That creates cash flow problems for the airline, etc. If this is important for you, confirm my understanding and I have no idea what Euro credit card rules are on this issue.

As for AB, what are the earnings for an Aadvantage member for this fare and any thoughts on how it compares to AA's biz cabin?
Yes used chase reserve, and from what I understand, I am covered if they suddenly go out of business.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
LH expected to purchase AB assets -- they'll likely keep the carrier flying so as to provide for a smooth transition to LH ops.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

These are great fares to get to Europe during the summer in comfort. Their product as someone said, is really solid. I would recommend looking up some trip reports.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I think people are over reacting a little. There's no evidence that AB is in any sort of evident insolvency. They're still operating all their flights.
I have been following AB's situation for a long time and nobody really expects them to go under any time soon. The sheiks just sent another credit in May to the tune of 350mio Euro.

I don't know what their strategy is exactly, but I assume Etihad would like to get at least some of their money back at some point.
Lufthansa would also not be happy, if AB went belly-up, because than the slots might be grabbed up by the likes of Ryanair. In the long run LH would like to take over AB, just without the debt.

So don't worry too much, AB will still be flying for some time. Their product is solid and their service people are usually very friendly, especially when you fly in C.

AZ is a different story, but I don't know enough about the situation in Italy.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:45 am

Can anyone please post a link for a dummy like me? AB website on mobile is not proving fruitful. Thank you.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It's gone up to $2776 with most of the avail in August - not much left in July.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Does not book in J

So I purchased tickets to Milan from LAX just so I could get the extra distance, but plan on going to Oktoberfest. When I booked the tickets, I noticed this does not book in J, but rather books in I. It's all the same rewards, extra the cabin bonus is less
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:48 am

I kinda wish this forum had a rule to supply a link or screenshots of how to get the deal in the OP.

A lot of folks using terms and software that are not obvious to casual deal seekers.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Bobjoylove
I kinda wish this forum had a rule to supply a link or screenshots of how to get the deal in the OP.

A lot of folks using terms and software that are not obvious to casual deal seekers.
Use Google Flights. The AB flights aren't every day so you have to poke around with dates. Here's an example: https://goo.gl/flights/UJ2Y
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just got an email from orbitz that my tickets were cancelled??? Can they do that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.