Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

BA: YVR -> FCO/LHR/AMS/DUB/MXP + more, 747 flat bed US$2200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, UA

Most appear available from November onward. If you book direct through BA, remember price quoted is in Canadian $.

http://goo.gl/flights/St0Z

Last edited by 18sas; Aug 16, 2016 at 10:08 pm
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:41 am

Do you know if the AARP discount for BA would work with an ex-Canada fare?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cpmed43
Do you know if the AARP discount for BA would work with an ex-Canada fare?
it does not, AARP is American and only works on US departures.

CARDOFFERC promo code will give you the same discount CARDOFFERU gives you for ex-US departures, though.

also just FYI, YVR-LHR is operated by an A380 in the summer

Last edited by Smiley90; Aug 14, 2016 at 2:00 am
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
*A Match $2250 YVR-MAD,AMS,DUB,MUC,FRA etc on AC & LH

Google flights: found many EU cities for $2267 now thru mid-june 2017 on AC & LH flat-beds. My dates were 9/15-10/6 YVR-YYZ-MAD-MUC-YVR books via LH. Looks like Skyteam is matching too.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
you can also route YVR-LAX-LHR-xxx-JFK/LHR-LAX-YVR for more mileage and all on AA numbers if you prefer
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kylesuo
Most appear available from November onward. If you book direct through BA, remember price quoted is in Canadian $.

http://goo.gl/flights/St0Z
I believe that if you're using google flights from the US, then the quotes are in USD. I'm not able to find flights from Canada for anything under CAD28xx. are you sure of those prices? of course airline sites will always quote in the departure country's currency.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Smiley90
you can also route YVR-LAX-LHR-xxx-JFK/LHR-LAX-YVR for more mileage and all on AA numbers if you prefer
Excellent suggestion ^
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
As another poster noted this is USD not Canadian. The base fare is US$1450ish and with the ++ you are looking at US$2160 or so. So no Canadian discount to be had on top of that. MPM is generous, +1200 miles for any routing via the US, so LAX or DFW and the AA 77W is indeed an option.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
Deal done?

Don't see anything from Yvr to Lhr for less than 3600cad anytime this year. Guessing deal has been pulled already?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BenSenise
of course airline sites will always quote in the departure country's currency.
Not all sites do. For example, united.com quotes in your preferred currency (and charges based on your credit card billing address) regardless of origin/destination. And aa.com appears to always quote in USD as well (unless you change your home country). So far, WestJet is the only North American airline I've found that changes the quote based on country of departure.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:16 pm
Suspended

deeman: I'm still seeing CAD2818 when i click on the OP's google flights link.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not all sites do. For example, united.com quotes in your preferred currency (and charges based on your credit card billing address) regardless of origin/destination. And aa.com appears to always quote in USD as well (unless you change your home country). So far, WestJet is the only North American airline I've found that changes the quote based on country of departure.
You are absolutely right. I wasn't awake yet when I wrote that. I was really thinking of BA which shows CAD for Canadian departures. I suppose you might be able to change that but I've never looked since CAD is what I have in my bank account.

Last edited by BenSenise; Aug 14, 2016 at 12:27 pm Reason: looks like i picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
deeman: I'm still seeing CAD2818 when i click on the OP's google flights link.

You are absolutely right. I wasn't awake yet when I wrote that. I was really thinking of BA which shows CAD for Canadian departures. I suppose you might be able to change that but I've never looked since CAD is what I have in my bank account.
Very correct bensenise. I guess I was hoping for that elusive yvr to lhr deal!!
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by deeman
Very correct bensenise. I guess I was hoping for that elusive yvr to lhr deal!!
i have found that flying premium cabin to LHR is often more than it costs to continue onwards to europe because of the UK passenger whatever tax you get hit with when you fly in biz or F with the endpoint being in the UK.
remind me to spend some time in London when it costs me $500 more just to leave the airport. no thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
i have found that flying premium cabin to LHR is often more than it costs to continue onwards to europe because of the UK passenger whatever tax you get hit with when you fly in biz or F with the endpoint being in the UK.
remind me to spend some time in London when it costs me $500 more just to leave the airport. no thanks.
It isn't an arrivals tax, it's a departures tax. This means you can land in the UK without having to pay the tax so long as you depart from outside the UK when taking your return flight. This can be handy if you want to visit London and somewhere in continental Europe as you can do an open jaw - fly in to London and then out from a non-UK airport.

As an example:

YVR-LHR outbound and LHR-YVR return would attract the tax
YVR-LHR outbound and FRA-LHR-YVR return would not attract the tax

Last edited by mrow; Aug 15, 2016 at 6:33 am Reason: Added example
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mrow
It isn't an arrivals tax, it's a departures tax. This means you can land in the UK without having to pay the tax so long as you depart from outside the UK when taking your return flight. This can be handy if you want to visit London and somewhere in continental Europe as you can do an open jaw - fly in to London and then out from a non-UK airport.

As an example:

YVR-LHR outbound and LHR-YVR return would attract the tax
YVR-LHR outbound and FRA-LHR-YVR return would not attract the tax
Exactly. You can however spend <24 hours in London and avoid the tax. I've managed a 23 hour 45 minute layover on an award booking.

However, the tax is irrelevant (mostly) on cash fares. BA have much higher fares on flights to/from LHR not necessarily because of the tax, but because any direct flight is much more desirable and has much less competition than a connecting option.

i.e. BA have to price a FRA-LHR-YVR keenly, because they are competing with a FRA-YVR direct flight on Lufthansa and/or Air Canada as well as connecting options such as KL or AF - accordingly they need to entice travellers with lower fares...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.