FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   BA: YVR -> FCO/LHR/AMS/DUB/MXP + more, 747 flat bed US$2200 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1784606-ba-yvr-fco-lhr-ams-dub-mxp-more-747-flat-bed-us-2200-a.html)

kylesuo Aug 14, 2016 1:25 am

BA: YVR -> FCO/LHR/AMS/DUB/MXP + more, 747 flat bed US$2200

Most appear available from November onward. If you book direct through BA, remember price quoted is in Canadian $.

http://goo.gl/flights/St0Z

cpmed43 Aug 14, 2016 1:41 am

Do you know if the AARP discount for BA would work with an ex-Canada fare?

Smiley90 Aug 14, 2016 1:53 am

Originally Posted by cpmed43 (Post 27061400)
Do you know if the AARP discount for BA would work with an ex-Canada fare?

it does not, AARP is American and only works on US departures.

CARDOFFERC promo code will give you the same discount CARDOFFERU gives you for ex-US departures, though.

also just FYI, YVR-LHR is operated by an A380 in the summer

travelsavant Aug 14, 2016 1:53 am

*A Match $2250 YVR-MAD,AMS,DUB,MUC,FRA etc on AC & LH

Google flights: found many EU cities for $2267 now thru mid-june 2017 on AC & LH flat-beds. My dates were 9/15-10/6 YVR-YYZ-MAD-MUC-YVR books via LH. Looks like Skyteam is matching too.

Smiley90 Aug 14, 2016 2:10 am

you can also route YVR-LAX-LHR-xxx-JFK/LHR-LAX-YVR for more mileage and all on AA numbers if you prefer

BenSenise Aug 14, 2016 10:00 am

Originally Posted by kylesuo (Post 27061380)
Most appear available from November onward. If you book direct through BA, remember price quoted is in Canadian $.

http://goo.gl/flights/St0Z

I believe that if you're using google flights from the US, then the quotes are in USD. I'm not able to find flights from Canada for anything under CAD28xx. are you sure of those prices? of course airline sites will always quote in the departure country's currency.

NA-Flyer Aug 14, 2016 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 27061449)
you can also route YVR-LAX-LHR-xxx-JFK/LHR-LAX-YVR for more mileage and all on AA numbers if you prefer

Excellent suggestion ^

stephem Aug 14, 2016 10:35 am

As another poster noted this is USD not Canadian. The base fare is US$1450ish and with the ++ you are looking at US$2160 or so. So no Canadian discount to be had on top of that. MPM is generous, +1200 miles for any routing via the US, so LAX or DFW and the AA 77W is indeed an option.

deeman Aug 14, 2016 11:43 am

Deal done?

Don't see anything from Yvr to Lhr for less than 3600cad anytime this year. Guessing deal has been pulled already?

mahasamatman Aug 14, 2016 11:45 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise (Post 27062788)
of course airline sites will always quote in the departure country's currency.

Not all sites do. For example, united.com quotes in your preferred currency (and charges based on your credit card billing address) regardless of origin/destination. And aa.com appears to always quote in USD as well (unless you change your home country). So far, WestJet is the only North American airline I've found that changes the quote based on country of departure.

BenSenise Aug 14, 2016 12:16 pm

deeman: I'm still seeing CAD2818 when i click on the OP's google flights link.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27063284)
Not all sites do. For example, united.com quotes in your preferred currency (and charges based on your credit card billing address) regardless of origin/destination. And aa.com appears to always quote in USD as well (unless you change your home country). So far, WestJet is the only North American airline I've found that changes the quote based on country of departure.

You are absolutely right. I wasn't awake yet when I wrote that. I was really thinking of BA which shows CAD for Canadian departures. I suppose you might be able to change that but I've never looked since CAD is what I have in my bank account.

deeman Aug 14, 2016 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise (Post 27063419)
deeman: I'm still seeing CAD2818 when i click on the OP's google flights link.

You are absolutely right. I wasn't awake yet when I wrote that. I was really thinking of BA which shows CAD for Canadian departures. I suppose you might be able to change that but I've never looked since CAD is what I have in my bank account.

Very correct bensenise. I guess I was hoping for that elusive yvr to lhr deal!!

BenSenise Aug 14, 2016 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by deeman (Post 27063482)
Very correct bensenise. I guess I was hoping for that elusive yvr to lhr deal!!

i have found that flying premium cabin to LHR is often more than it costs to continue onwards to europe because of the UK passenger whatever tax you get hit with when you fly in biz or F with the endpoint being in the UK.
remind me to spend some time in London when it costs me $500 more just to leave the airport. no thanks.

mrow Aug 15, 2016 6:32 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise (Post 27064514)
i have found that flying premium cabin to LHR is often more than it costs to continue onwards to europe because of the UK passenger whatever tax you get hit with when you fly in biz or F with the endpoint being in the UK.
remind me to spend some time in London when it costs me $500 more just to leave the airport. no thanks.

It isn't an arrivals tax, it's a departures tax. This means you can land in the UK without having to pay the tax so long as you depart from outside the UK when taking your return flight. This can be handy if you want to visit London and somewhere in continental Europe as you can do an open jaw - fly in to London and then out from a non-UK airport.

As an example:

YVR-LHR outbound and LHR-YVR return would attract the tax
YVR-LHR outbound and FRA-LHR-YVR return would not attract the tax

craigthemif Aug 15, 2016 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mrow (Post 27066520)
It isn't an arrivals tax, it's a departures tax. This means you can land in the UK without having to pay the tax so long as you depart from outside the UK when taking your return flight. This can be handy if you want to visit London and somewhere in continental Europe as you can do an open jaw - fly in to London and then out from a non-UK airport.

As an example:

YVR-LHR outbound and LHR-YVR return would attract the tax
YVR-LHR outbound and FRA-LHR-YVR return would not attract the tax

Exactly. You can however spend <24 hours in London and avoid the tax. I've managed a 23 hour 45 minute layover on an award booking.

However, the tax is irrelevant (mostly) on cash fares. BA have much higher fares on flights to/from LHR not necessarily because of the tax, but because any direct flight is much more desirable and has much less competition than a connecting option.

i.e. BA have to price a FRA-LHR-YVR keenly, because they are competing with a FRA-YVR direct flight on Lufthansa and/or Air Canada as well as connecting options such as KL or AF - accordingly they need to entice travellers with lower fares...