Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
We start our double PTY run tomorrow (MIA-LAX-SFO-JFK(n)-MIA-PTY(n)-MIA-EWR-DFW-YVR(n)-LAX-SFO-JFK-MIA-PTY(n)-MIA-JFK-SEA(3n)-MIA) Feel free to say hi to Mrs. 110pgl and myself. I will be the one limping/wheelchair pre-boarding. (Foot surgery, but on the mend.)
WOW
That's a run all right... I'll be right behind you both. LAX-JFk, etc tomorrow eve
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Meh.
LAX-JFK flight was great. Actually got some sleep.
aa200 JFK-MIA delayed to 10:00 just as I got to the gate.
Now it's been delayed to 12:33. Notice popped up as I was typing 10:00.
[edit: No it hasn't. That was Tripit helpfully informing me that my connecting flight is departing before I arrive MIA.]
GA booked me on an alternate flight MIA-PTY, as time travel has not been invented yet. Looks like I'll miss that one too. Should be interesting to see what happens next.
At this rate, I'll be on a shrimp boat. Do they have business class?

Last edited by Cat Man Do; Jun 11, 2016 at 6:50 am
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Update: Incredibly helpful agent in the AA lounge rebooked me on a later JFK-MIA flight and a tomorrow-morning MIA-PTY flight, with a hotel voucher (theoretically, anyway - I have to get that in MIA).

The delay was MX.

Oh, and she comped me into the Flagship lounge too.
Drink suggestions?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Update: Incredibly helpful agent in the AA lounge rebooked me on a later JFK-MIA flight and a tomorrow-morning MIA-PTY flight, with a hotel voucher (theoretically, anyway - I have to get that in MIA).

The delay was MX.

Drink suggestions?
Jameson.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:50 pm

Lga - dfw - pty

Been lurking for a while but figured I'd finally post! So much to learn from everyone here.

Was supposed to be on the same flight as Cat Man Do but once I heard it was delayed I called the desk and they were able to book me LGA-DFW-PTY in F and J codes respectively.

Hopefully when it posts I'll have 3x eqm on those legs!

Happy MRing everyone
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Cat Man Do

The delay was MX.

Drink suggestions?
I was on AA200 too but wasn't worried about the delay since I booked the 6PM MIA-PTY. But now there's lightning, so if they ground flights, you might have gotten pretty lucky with the scheduling and comped hotel.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:08 pm

Funny side story...

Leaving MIA this am for LAX (to SFO to JFK to MIA to PTY)... Flagship checkin... "why would you do that?". All I said was 'Mileage Run'. She smiled knowingly and said oh i understand and grabbed all our BPs.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
Has anyone done this MR and credited to Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan? Just planning ahead!!!!!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by The_Just
Has anyone done this MR and credited to Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan? Just planning ahead!!!!!
Many have.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Thinking about doing one more of these before the FF program changes. I'm seeing about 900 ex lax right now, what's the sweet spot for prices? 6-700ish is what I would like to target.

I also see the wiki says all JFK-MIA legs are on the 757; the google flights link I just had up (sunday morning I think it was) had it on a 777.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
...I also see the wiki says all JFK-MIA legs are on the 757; the google flights link I just had up (sunday morning I think it was) had it on a 777.
I think the update in the wiki about the 757 is incorrect. We are flying in about 2 hours on 767 to MIA and will do it again later this week.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
Want the data

Originally Posted by hiima
Many have.
I'm sure that many have, but in this thread only the AA EQM and RDM have been posted as well as BA Tier points.

Anybody have any confirmed numbers for the AS Mileage Plan?

Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by The_Just
I'm sure that many have, but in this thread only the AA EQM and RDM have been posted as well as BA Tier points.

Anybody have any confirmed numbers for the AS Mileage Plan?

Thanks.
Do the math, you'll get the eqm and rdm according to your booking code guaranteed.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by BThumme
Thinking about doing one more of these before the FF program changes. I'm seeing about 900 ex lax right now, what's the sweet spot for prices? 6-700ish is what I would like to target.

I also see the wiki says all JFK-MIA legs are on the 757; the google flights link I just had up (sunday morning I think it was) had it on a 777.

$950's seem to be the best i was able to get. I have 3 booked in july before the change. I'ts been awhile since I've gotten flights in the $700's
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I think the update in the wiki about the 757 is incorrect. We are flying in about 2 hours on 767 to MIA and will do it again later this week.
yea 772 8:05am and 5:45am 767 and I know there is a 757 also

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.