Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

(Business) DL: YVR-PVG CA$2450 / US$1790 ai r/t

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM

A pretty unbelievable price, but severe restrictions may make it hard to utilize. Even if you can't find the deal for US$1790, there are many dates where this is available for US$2000/CA$2800.

Fare Basis:ZLX71PDH

PERMITTED MON/TUE/WED/FRI/SUN ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

PERMITTED 23DEC 15 THROUGH 30APR 16 ON THE OUTBOUND
TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO
EARLIER THAN 10 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND
TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH
DIRECTION AT THE GATEWAY IN AREA 3 AT USD 100.00 EACH.

7 DAY ADV PURCHASE

Sample Itin:
Mar 22 - Apr 5 YVR-SEA-PVG-LAX-YVR
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:01 am

I'm just learning bit by bit here, and one of the newest things is that there is a big difference in business class depending on the plane being flown.

So I looked it up, I found 2/7 to 2/17 YVR to LAX on Alaska, std recliner seat on 737, then Delta to PVG, full lie flat seat on 777. The fare is $1770.

So then one would look up the Delta 777s, or put the flight number into seat guru, etc., or post a question here as to how comfortable the seats are, right?

Sounds like a great deal. I'm in San Diego and am scratching my head as to how something like this would work for me. I'm going to HKG on frequent flyer miles next year anyway, so it doesn't matter. But I suppose I could fly to YVR, take this flight with a stopover on the way back in LAX for an extra $100(?), then collect my bags and come home to SD ?

OK thanks for indulging my thinking out loud here. Am I on the right track ?

Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by albert436

Sounds like a great deal. I'm in San Diego and am scratching my head as to how something like this would work for me. I'm going to HKG on frequent flyer miles next year anyway, so it doesn't matter. But I suppose I could fly to YVR, take this flight with a stopover on the way back in LAX for an extra $100(?), then collect my bags and come home to SD ?

OK thanks for indulging my thinking out loud here. Am I on the right track ?

If you are checking bags, then the only way that dropping the LAX-YVR segment could work would be to put in a stopover in LAX. If you just make LAX a connection then theoretically you could get rerouted in an IROPS situation.

The problem is that I'm not sure that a stopover in LAX is allowed as the rules say the stopover can only be at "the gateway in area 3." "Gateway" in this instance means the place you land or depart from just before the TPAC crossing and Area 3 means Asia/Pacific.

You can try to force a stopover in LAX and see what you find, but I'm not sure it will work.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:59 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 18sas
The problem is that I'm not sure that a stopover in LAX is allowed as the rules say the stopover can only be at "the gateway in area 3." "Gateway" in this instance means the place you land or depart from just before the TPAC crossing and Area 3 means Asia/Pacific.

You can try to force a stopover in LAX and see what you find, but I'm not sure it will work.
Seriously LAX would work as DL is using SEA as hub, and unless you find a way back from PVG that does NOT involve SEA, I don't see a way to route via LAX @:-)

You could fly to YVR and come back to SAN from SEA, which would also solve luggage problem. Great price for the route ^
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:18 am

Hi -

Checking bags will not be an issue. You have to claim your bag when you clear customs. Just exit the terminal with your bags without rechecking them.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:56 am

Ahhh, very interesting. ^

About LAX, the thing is that the flights I looked at with that low fare used Alaska to go from SEA to LAX first. That was just how it popped up and wasn't my choosing. Which is why I figured LAX might be an option.

Thanks everyone, and now back to the main topic.

Looks like it is the 777-200ER/LR on the long segment. The reviews of the business class seats are mixed, the most common negative comments having to do with the beds being narrow and hard, and not having storage space. Still has got to beat flying coach for 14 hours, right? And the price seems good too.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by albert436
Looks like it is the 777-200ER/LR on the long segment. The reviews of the business class seats are mixed, the most common negative comments having to do with the beds being narrow and hard, and not having storage space. Still has got to beat flying coach for 14 hours, right? And the price seems good too.
Don't listen to the naysayers. The 777 is a perfectly fine way to fly across the ocean. Especially if you get 7A or 7D which have more privacy and extra storage space.

It was DLs original flat bed business class product, so there have been some advancements since they were first conceived, but you'll be plenty comfortable.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Don't listen to the naysayers. The 777 is a perfectly fine way to fly across the ocean. Especially if you get 7A or 7D which have more privacy and extra storage space.

It was DLs original flat bed business class product, so there have been some advancements since they were first conceived, but you'll be plenty comfortable.
DL is also offering pajamas on the LAX-PVG route, if that makes things any better.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Haven't experienced DL's lie flat, but have plenty of experience with UA's 777 - and with same mixed reviews.

But I'll take middle seat in Biz over extra legroom coach any day of the week, it's that much better.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:04 pm

Thanks everyone for contributing to my understanding and education.

^
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
DL: YVR-PVG/SHA USD $1,788 RT in J.

Valid thru end of schedule. Prices in P on the North America leg, Z on the long haul.

CAD $2,470 RT (USD $1,788 RT).
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
What are some sample dates? The cheapest thing I saw was $2,148. Still good...
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
What are some sample dates? The cheapest thing I saw was $2,148. Still good...
9/23 - 10/3 for example. $1,791 USD via Google Flights, book thru Delta.

It appears to also be available out of YYJ.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I'm in Seattle and this would be a great mileage run to start off the year. I cannot find anything for ~1700USD, but I do see ~2100USD.

I would book this in a heartbeat if it wasn't for stupid visa requirements. What Visa's must you get to enter China as a US citizen?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, EK, FB, SPG
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I'm in Seattle and this would be a great mileage run to start off the year. I cannot find anything for ~1700USD, but I do see ~2100USD.

I would book this in a heartbeat if it wasn't for stupid visa requirements. What Visa's must you get to enter China as a US citizen?
You can get a tourist visa from the consulate or embassy through the visa agencies or do it with a physical visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.