Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

JL:ORD NRT CGK r/t P/E ($2073, ai)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive

Only looking at beginning of December and using as a points run for EXP closeout. I didn't try to fancy it up at all, since I'm trying to keep as direct as possible and as short as possible. Downside [or maybe not so bad]? Either gonna have all day in CGK or an overnight in NRT, depending on routing; YMMV [literally & figuratively]. This represents a 20% discount to CX [better clubs/onboard food] who doesn't have PEY on the HKG-CGK leg; timing takes about as long.

Earns 29,680 EQP (AA; and 19,790 EQM) ~ 7.0 cpp.

Anybody know if you can hit balls at CGK airport golf course without membership?

PS: For those DFWers, DFW - CGK (on new JAL 78X metal), earns 30,141 EQP (AA; and 20,094 EQM) ~ 6.9 cpp.

Last edited by CaptRobPhD; Oct 8, 2015 at 8:47 pm Reason: Updated DFW option...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD
Only looking at beginning of December and using as a points run for EXP closeout. I didn't try to fancy it up at all, since I'm trying to keep as direct as possible and as short as possible. Downside [or maybe not so bad]? Either gonna have all day in CGK or an overnight in NRT, depending on routing; YMMV [literally & figuratively]. This represents a 20% discount to CX [better clubs/onboard food] who doesn't have PEY on the HKG-CGK leg; timing takes about as long.

Earns 29,680 EQP (AA; and 19,790 EQM) ~ 7.0 cpp.

Anybody know if you can hit balls as CGK golf course without membership?

PS: For those DFWers, DFW - CGK (on new JAL 78X metal), earns 30,141 EQP (AA; and 20,094 EQM) ~ 6.9 cpp.
Ckg direct ?? or via hkg/pek??
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:39 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Check out some of the Premium Economy fares from Canada to CGK...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm

Ahh would have booked this in a second if it was in J. Still a good fare though!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
There's a golf course near the airport that I've played before. I stayed at the Sheraton and they made tee times for me before I arrived. Good course. Didn't use the driving range.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Both DFW and ORD options through NRT for JL codeshare.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by LGA
Check out some of the Premium Economy fares from Canada to CGK...
sample dates and website?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

JAL website, multiple dates (out & back).
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:50 am

I just made this trip. Paid a tiny bit more (booked a few weeks ago), but booked it with a 4 night stopover Tokyo. (I also had to pay $20 for the call center ticket since I couldn't get the website to book the 5 hour turn in CGK) Great trip little trip and JAL has a pretty good PE product IMO. (although if I wasn't doing this to finish out EXP, I don't know if I would have paid the premium for PE it since their economy seats are pretty good on the 777-300ER and 787s.) My trip was:

5 Oct - CMH-ORD (H) ORD-NRT (E) - I needed to be in Tokyo for Wednesday through Friday
10 Oct - NRT-CGK (E) CGK-NRT (E)
11 Oct - NRT-ORD (E) ORD-CMH (H)

I did the 5 hour turn at CGK. As far as I am concerned there is little reason to stay in Jakarta. Jakarta is pretty hazy (with the burns going on), polluted, and extremely congested - and the place isn't the cleanest or easiest place even on a good day. I had to explain why I was spending only 5 hours in Indonesia to the immigration officers (which was not as easy as it normally has been) and involved the first officer calling over another to question me about what I was doing. (I normally don't mention miles runs or anything of the sort, but when I mentioned it to the second officer, he seemed to understand and told the first to let it go - Just the luck of the draw I guess) I suppose I could have gone to the transfer desk, but wanted to park myself in the Ibis for a few hours to take a nap and shower. JAL is currently putting PE passengers in the JAS lounge, which isn't too bad, but the one shower stall in the place is pretty grungy. (IMHO) - The budget Ibis isn't that great either, but for a taxi ride and ~$20 for the room, it is much more comfortable than the hot terminal at CGK. (if you don't need a shower or sleep, you might consider just staying airside and going to the lounge after getting your ticket and stamp, if you have the option.)

Overall, a very doable trip for a miles run and adding the CGK leg actually reduced the cost of the flight to Tokyo for me. (I personally find long legs are easier since I seem to be OK once I settle into a seat - and this one has a 13, 11, and two 8 hour legs) I should earn ~29,068 EQP and ~52,796 RDM with the PLAT bonus and the Asia RT bonus promo. (Be forewarned that the miles don't post for at least a few days if you purchased on JAL stock. My 5 October miles just posted this morning (12 October).) Not the most economical miles/points run, but for going to Tokyo anyway, this is a pretty good option.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Dang, I missed Asia bonus--just registered! Thus, great news x2!

Last edited by CaptRobPhD; Oct 12, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.