Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

I have a 1 gallon ziploc bag (not 1 quart) ... Will TSA seize my toiletries ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100

Technically speaking I'd be breaking the 3-1-1 rule, however the contents within will not exceed the limits of the suggested 1 quart bag.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by paule123
Technically speaking I'd be breaking the 3-1-1 rule, however the contents within will not exceed the limits of the suggested 1 quart bag.
Depends on the TSO/airport/time of day/phase of the moon.

Really difficult to tell.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: United Platinum
I had the larger bag soon after all this nonsense began. I was scolded, given a dirty look, and could see the agent spinning the arbitrary yes/no wheel in her head. I got the yes and could pass. Best of luck!
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mrs Flies has been using the gallon size ever since Kippie declared war on toothpaste because she is convinced that this is the correct size. I've seen her in action as recently as last month. She takes it out of her carryon and places it in a bin, usually folded over once. She makes no attempt to "artfully" or otherwise conceal the size. It's probably not filled with any more stuff than would fit in the official quart-size Freedom Bag.

Another technique to use is the two-bag scenario, which has been posted elsewhere here on FT.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by paule123
TSA sez your 3.4 oz bottles must fit comfortably in the kwart baggie. If placed in a gallon baggie, your little bottles will be far too comfortable and might explode out of joy.

"Please keep in mind that these rules were developed after extensive research."

"I have a 1 gallon ziploc bag (not 1 quart) ... Will TSA seize my toiletries ?"

Remember, PV assures us TSA never 'siezes' anything. That would be stealing. They only throw things in the trash can after you "voluntarily abandon" it.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Research" = Kippie and his Idiot buddies smoking dope and throwing feces at a wall and each other to see what sticks.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA seized a kids Disney World Pirates of the Caribbean plastic sword because it was considered a "replica".

I give you 40/60 on your gallon bag.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
I say do it. Use your one-gallon bag with a set of bottles which would obviously fit in a quart bag, have them seize it and then call a local news outlet and see if they want the story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.