Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLL - "TSA Plunders Boy's Disney Toys"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by United737522
<SNIP> It is the same reason toy weapons aren't allowed on school campuses.
I’m 41 and took toy cap guns to school all the time. Then there was my famous Star Wars laser rifle I made out of PVC pipe. This Zero Tolerance crap is turning out a generation of wimps that need to be coddled by crisis counselors every time Something Bad™ happens.

Back OT, I tried to find an image of what this toy looked like without any luck. In this day and age, I can’t think of anything more benign that a toy "gun" from Disney.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I hope the sobs are happy
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
Ah, badgelicking. Always predictable in this type of discussion.
Ah, avoiding the question. Always predictable when the other side knows they're wrong. So I'll ask again; do the rules apply just to those without cute little faces and family tragedy? If the big issue here was what was done with toys after being confiscated, then I would say you all need to grow up (TSA included) and really ought to pick your battles. However, it's not based on the replies here.

Family breaks rules. Gets toys confiscated. End of story. Nothing different from when I forgot the water stuffed in the side of my backpack last week.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:27 pm

Ah, avoiding the question. Always predictable when the other side knows they're wrong. So I'll ask again; do the rules apply just to those without cute little faces and family tragedy? If the big issue here was what was done with toys after being confiscated, then I would say you all need to grow up (TSA included) and really ought to pick your battles. However, it's not based on the replies here.

Family breaks rules. Gets toys confiscated. End of story. Nothing different from when I forgot the water stuffed in the side of my backpack last week.
What rules? It was a toy. The "sword" was made of rubber and had the POTC logo imprinted on the side. It flopped around when you took it out of its case. I'm sure that a successful hijacking could be made with that! Um... I guess you could use it as a whip, kinda.

The last time I flew out of MCO for pleasure (been there plenty of times for business, but haven't really wandered around the stores then) that kind of thing was being sold inside the security area. I miss my country.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:28 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Family breaks rules. Gets toys confiscated. End of story.
You skipped: TSA plays with toy after confiscating it.

That is the issue. The confiscation (or voluntary surrender) is not the issue. Please get with the program.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I’m 41 and took toy cap guns to school all the time. Then there was my famous Star Wars laser rifle I made out of PVC pipe. This Zero Tolerance crap is turning out a generation of wimps that need to be coddled by crisis counselors every time Something Bad™ happens.
Agreed. This "me" generation (I believe that's what they are calling them) is out of control. This is where we are now-a-days for many reasons. It's not something we have to like, but until it gets changed there's nothing you can do.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by magellan315
This isn't about the TSO's confiscation of the toys. Its the fact that mother caught them in a public area playing with the toys they confiscated.
Must’ve been some young whippersnapper TSOs; once they grow up a little they’ll move on to rapping and dancing through the WTMD.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
You skipped: TSA plays with toy after confiscating it.

That is the issue. The confiscation (or voluntary surrender) is not the issue. Please get with the program.
IF that was the issue; the article would not be titled as it is; there would be more than one line devoted to it in an entire full page article; multiple posts on here would be irrelevant to the discussion. Since all of the above are true, it could not conceivably be about that.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a TSA supporter these days. I think government needs to step aside now.

I don't see why it is such an issue if they played with the toys. Unprofessional? YES. Petty? YES. Seriously...
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

It has nothing to do with the smiling face or the family tragedy. I don't even care that they were playing with the toy after confiscating it. My outrage has everything to do with the fact that the TSO confiscated what was clearly a toy. There was zero chance of mistaking the souvenirs for a weapon, as the video in the OP shows.

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<SNIP> The last time I flew out of MCO for pleasure (been there plenty of times for business, but haven't really wandered around the stores then) that kind of thing was being sold inside the security area. I miss my country.
I don’t usually frequent Disney Stores, but isn’t there one outside the checkpoint in MCO? It would be a hoot if these things were being sold there.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:39 pm

What rules? It was a toy. The "sword" was made of rubber and had the POTC logo imprinted on the side. It flopped around when you took it out of its case. I'm sure that a successful hijacking could be made with that! Um... I guess you could use it as a whip, kinda.

The last time I flew out of MCO for pleasure (been there plenty of times for business, but haven't really wandered around the stores then) that kind of thing was being sold inside the security area. I miss my country.
No Disney stores inside of security, btw. Not to mention I am 99% sure the sale of those items are prohibited in the airport.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:07 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IF that was the issue; the article would not be titled as it is; there would be more than one line devoted to it in an entire full page article; multiple posts on here would be irrelevant to the discussion. Since all of the above are true, it could not conceivably be about that..
I think that is the main objection around here, is what I meant.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me

What "rules" are you blathering about? A partial answer to your question would be that war on water rules, for instance, do not apply to liquids for the baby, so seems clear to me TSA "rules" you are so beholden to, in many circumstances apply just to those "without cute little faces."

No Disney stores inside of security, btw. Not to mention I am 99% sure the sale of those items are prohibited in the airport.
I'm 100% certain you are right about no Disney stores inside security at MCO. Doubt you are correct about an airport wide prohibition on plastic swords, or on the whole spectra of play items that could, potentially, be used as weapons. Airports and their stores have to concentrate on the snow globe threat.
Common sense might tell you that a pair of 4" surgical scissors (allowed by your hallowed rules) is a better weapon, though still not credible as a hijacking weapon, post 9/11.

This whole piece reminds me of the puff story about the items taken by TSA and stored in a large basement room at BUF, IIRC. (Apparently the TSA don't get to play with confiscated items there.) TS"O" proudly showed off a star wars light sabre that had been "voluntarily surrendered" by some poor sap. I guess TSA didn't want to be responsible for a starship-jacking.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:10 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
I guess TSA didn't want to be responsible for a starship-jacking.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wait until this goes green on Fark.com at 5:17 p.m. this afternoon.

Comments there will make this thread look like a conversation to The Queen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.