FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   FLL - "TSA Plunders Boy's Disney Toys" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/980000-fll-tsa-plunders-boys-disney-toys.html)

mkt Jul 29, 2009 12:22 pm

FLL - "TSA Plunders Boy's Disney Toys"

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...sney-Toys.html

A choice quote:

Edge said she became even angrier when she claims that not long after the TSA officers had confiscated the items, she saw the officers playing with the toy sword and gun.
However, there is a happy ending.

The story does have a happy ending. Disney officials sent Jeremiah replacement toys after they heard about the incident.
Disney, you are a class act.

Boggie Dog Jul 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by mkt (Post 12142240)
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...sney-Toys.html

A choice quote:

However, there is a happy ending.

Disney, you are a class act.

Perhaps an act that TSA should try emulating.

magellan315 Jul 29, 2009 12:40 pm

And I am sure that the TSA will take appropriate action against all TSO's involved.:rolleyes:

GoGiants Jul 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Where would the TSA bashers be if he hijacked a toy plane with that toy gun???

All kidding aside, this is certainly not new. I had the same thing happen with my son in 1986. We tried to take the unrealistic "Pirates of the Caribbean" wooden gun through MCO security and were stopped. We were told we had to check it. Luckily, our Peoples Express pilot overheard the conversation and was allowed to take for us. He had to keep it in the cockpit and walk us out of the terminal after our arrival in EWR.

mikeef Jul 29, 2009 12:50 pm

I believe MKT has the appropriate response:

10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10

I am interested, however, to see how the TSA blog would address this. In fact, I think I'm going to make a post there now.

Mike

United737522 Jul 29, 2009 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by magellan315 (Post 12142341)
And I am sure that the TSA will take appropriate action against all TSO's involved.:rolleyes:

Why? This was clearly not the TSA's fault. Stupid people trying to bring toy weapons onto a plane. It is the same reason toy weapons aren't allowed on school campuses. The stupid broad should have put them in their checked baggage. Rules are rules, the fact he has a sad story doesn't make him exempt.

Pfft... I don't even know why this is news.

ralfp Jul 29, 2009 12:51 pm

If Disney toys are "Realistic Replicas of Firearms" (closest thing on the prohibited items list), then God help you if you have pictures of REAL guns.

Even worse, imagine the consequences of taking video & sound recording of a firearm on board (e.g. most movies).

Spiff Jul 29, 2009 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by GoGiants (Post 12142368)
Where would the TSA bashers be if he hijacked a toy plane with that toy gun???

Where would all the TSA apologists be if there weren't magic for them to believe in???

mikeef Jul 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 12142444)
Where would all the TSA apologists be if there weren't magic for them to believe in???

OMNI P/R.

Mike

harpodamann Jul 29, 2009 1:07 pm

It is a lethal weapon :mad: I have seen the damage and DEATH that it has brought and the pain that it has brought to :mad: Watch the films, you will see the hurt that it causes ^^ TSA you may have saved lives and a plane from crashing to the ground ^^^

mkt Jul 29, 2009 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 12142444)

Ironic choice of words since Disney saved the day ;)

Spiff Jul 29, 2009 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by harpodamann (Post 12142505)
It is a lethal weapon :mad: I have seen the damage and DEATH that it has brought and the pain that it has brought to :mad: Watch the films, you will see the hurt that it causes ^^ TSA you may have saved lives and a plane from crashing to the ground ^^^

I've seen that movie too.... Was it Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle or Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke?

United737522 Jul 29, 2009 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by harpodamann (Post 12142505)

Your sarcasm is really proving your point. :rolleyes: (see, more sarcasm)

So what, the rules should just apply to those without cute little faces and family tragedy?

wildcatlh Jul 29, 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by United737522 (Post 12142551)
Your sarcasm is really proving your point. :rolleyes: (see, more sarcasm)

So what, the rules should just apply to those without cute little faces and family tragedy?

Ah, badgelicking. Always predictable in this type of discussion.

magellan315 Jul 29, 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by United737522 (Post 12142401)
Why? This was clearly not the TSA's fault. Stupid people trying to bring toy weapons onto a plane. It is the same reason toy weapons aren't allowed on school campuses. The stupid broad should have put them in their checked baggage. Rules are rules, the fact he has a sad story doesn't make him exempt.

Pfft... I don't even know why this is news.

This isn't about the TSO's confiscation of the toys. Its the fact that mother caught them in a public area playing with the toys they confiscated. That's the problem, makes you wonder what else some of these same TSO's may have taken home with them after confiscating them.