Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

FL captain arrested in PHF bound for BOS flight this early morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Good grief for AirTran captain has been arrested as charge of assaulted & battery with TSA. So he was on their way out of PHF-BOS in the this early morning around 7am in EST time. It was not inappropriate for trying to assaulted with TSA. So here the link:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-lo...,3243463.story

Good riddance for AirTran Captain will be eventually fired from the job and it will be disciplinary actions against his job.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Actually, I'd be more inclined to start a legal assistance fund for this captain.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Sounds very troubling. Things have gone very wrong when the security that is supposed to protect airline employees and travelers turn on them instead.

Isn't it sad when we fear those who are supposted to work for us and protect us?

Your papers please, comrade! If you don't comply to our every whim, we're going to arrest you!!

The start of the U.S.S.A. is at hand.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I give this Captain ^ ^

It will be interesting to find out what he did and why, but if more people started battering these idiots, perhaps their attitude would change.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:05 am

Now, I am highly inclined to side with the captain, but at this point there is no info on what supposedly happened.

However, in the news article the police said they were not involved and everybody keeps quiet. Maybe TSA overstepped their boundaries and arrested the pilot on their vigilante crusade?

This said, I wonder if we will have a competition between FAMs and TSA soon if TSA keeps trying to seep into other fields.. Could be fun to have a TSO powertripping inflight and then brought down by an FAM (in my opinion the far more competent force).
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:14 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Well if I were betting for the winner of a fist-a-cuffs, I would bet on the 6-4 230lb tweenty-two year Marine Corps veteran pilot over any TSA member I have ever seen.

It will be interesting to see what other info comes out. I find it interesting that this brouhaha happened at the checkpoint (or so it seems from the article) yet the pilot was not arrested until he was already in the cockpit.

Are there not always at least some (or one) real cops (LEO) at the checkpoint to deal with problems? Why did they wait for him to walk to the gate and board before arresting? Did it take that long to get stories straight?

I'd like more details.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:14 am

His middle name is "Wayne" so that means he is guilty.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:47 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by N830MH
but, I physically pushes her at the metal detector. .

In most states that is assault...

While many of us are not a fan of the TSA's overall way of doing business, I don't think many of us would randomly assault a TSO for asking us to do something that is commonly known procedure (please note- I do not condone the procedure or TSA logic of taking off the shoes, but it is a well advertised procedure and other than to bin or not to bin we all know it is coming)

To digress-The only time I have ever had to get testy with a TSAer was not at an airport but during (or "just after") Hurricane Ike, when some TSA tool in civies, but wearing his hat and TSA jacket, tried to tell me I couldn't ford the road to get back to my property. Without using English profanity he was promptly told where he could stick it. I was legally armed, he was not; my property stayed intact.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Interesting that nobody will admit to arresting him. At some point soon there probably has to be an affidavit file detailig the charges & justification for arresting him.

And no bail hearing?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Interesting that nobody will admit to arresting him. At some point soon there probably has to be an affidavit file detailig the charges & justification for arresting him.

And no bail hearing?
No, not yet. I haven't hear any person who gotten out of the jails to get his bail or no bail to be set. It's up to the judge to says something for him.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:49 am

Programs: CO/DL
I do not have to hear any more details about what actually happened to know that I side with a 22yr Marine Corp veteran and airline captain over one of TSA's smurfs

One notable exception would be if the Capt was intoxicated, no excuse for trying to fly a planeload of passengers and putting them in danger if he was.

Still, the thought of a smurf being knocked down is most amusing

If it turns out to be anything other than the pilot being intoxicated I would also be inclined to contribute to a defense fund for the Capt^
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by TSA Spokesmouth in the Daily Press
to protect the safety of our officers ... verbal abuse ... of any kind are not tolerated," according to an e-mailed statement from Lauren Gaches, an agency spokeswoman.
How much you want to bet he made a constitutionally protected comment on TSA's social & economic value? Quarters anyone?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

And no bail hearing?
yup and something just doesn't add up
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by TSA Spokesmouth in the Daily Press
"to protect the safety of our officers ... verbal abuse ... of any kind are not tolerated," according to an e-mailed statement from Lauren Gaches, an agency spokeswoman.
And just how is the safety of TSO's compromised through verbal abuse (note I am not talking about threats as the Spokesmouth in the article specifically lists threats separately from verbal abuse)?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
No, I didn't assaulted with TSA officers but, I physically pushes her at the metal detector. I was arguable with her where I didn't want take off the shoes. Because I am never hidden the shoes explosives at all. So I will be more respectable with TSA is doing their job. That's why I didn't have any capable follow the specific rules.
ehhh, that sounds like assault and/or battery. I'm not saying the person did or did not deserve it, but that sure sounds like assault and/or battery to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.