Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

FL captain arrested in PHF bound for BOS flight this early morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FL captain arrested in PHF bound for BOS flight this early morning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HH-Diamond, MR-Silver
"A pilot approached the checkpoint. I spoke to him, but he did not speak back," Bell's complaint says. "As he was putting his items in the tray, I tried to reposition his items before they went through the X-ray. The pilot them squeezed my hand very tight and shoved my hand back away from the tray that his items were in. I then called to make a complaint."

Did everyone notice that the first thing Ms. Bell complained about was that she spoke to the pilot and "he did not speak back." This is definitely an ego/power situation as Ms. Bell probably didn't receive the "respect" she felt she deserved.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyman182
"A pilot approached the checkpoint. I spoke to him, but he did not speak back," Bell's complaint says. "As he was putting his items in the tray, I tried to reposition his items before they went through the X-ray. The pilot them squeezed my hand very tight and shoved my hand back away from the tray that his items were in. I then called to make a complaint."

Did everyone notice that the first thing Ms. Bell complained about was that she spoke to the pilot and "he did not speak back." This is definitely an ego/power situation as Ms. Bell probably didn't receive the "respect" she felt she deserved.
Something I have found is that silence drives some TSAers crazy. I have gotten the extra treatment by not responding to "good morning" (it's not a "good morning" when I have to experience the TSA).

There something noticeably absent from her account.

She claims she "spoke to the pilot." Okay, that could mean she only said "Good Morning" or something innocuous like that.

If I were the pilot's attorney, here's the point I would pounce on: Usually, when people or agencies want to make the point of them "just doing their job" to the traveling public (and playing victim), they will say they said something like (in this case) "I'm going to re-arrange your items."

Her account didn't say that, so I'm going to want to know exactly what she said. She likely just said something like "good morning" or "hello," something not directly related to grabbing the pilot's items.

She also said she talked to the pilot, and THEN he put his items in the bin. So, it was likely that she did not say anything related to grabbing the pilot's property. The part she mentioned about the pilot not talking back to her is her trying to position the pilot having a foul mood.

Now, if I'm the pilot's attorney, I would also ask the TSAer whether she is aware of the rampant burglary issues with the TSA screening process.

I agree with an earlier poster....a situation that got out of control by the idiocy of both parties.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
Something I have found is that silence drives some TSAers crazy. I have gotten the extra treatment by not responding to "good morning" (it's not a "good morning" when I have to experience the TSA).

There something noticeably absent from her account.

She claims she "spoke to the pilot." Okay, that could mean she only said "Good Morning" or something innocuous like that.

If I were the pilot's attorney, here's the point I would pounce on: Usually, when people or agencies want to make the point of them "just doing their job" to the traveling public (and playing victim), they will say they said something like (in this case) "I'm going to re-arrange your items."

Her account didn't say that, so I'm going to want to know exactly what she said. She likely just said something like "good morning" or "hello," something not directly related to grabbing the pilot's items.

She also said she talked to the pilot, and THEN he put his items in the bin. So, it was likely that she did not say anything related to grabbing the pilot's property. The part she mentioned about the pilot not talking back to her is her trying to position the pilot having a foul mood.

Now, if I'm the pilot's attorney, I would also ask the TSAer whether she is aware of the rampant burglary issues with the TSA screening process.

I agree with an earlier poster....a situation that got out of control by the idiocy of both parties.
Is all that part of the criminal complaint, or is it media release? I can't seem to find it anywhere. If it's part of the criminal complaint, is that all of it?

The attorney can only really go after what's alleged in the complaint. If TSA doesn't go into full detail in a media release there's not much the pilot's attorney can do with that.

I'd like to see the full complaint (police report) before I make any judgments.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by law dawg
Is all that part of the criminal complaint,....
Yes.

Read page four of this thread.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
Dean, there may be a point to it, but that doesn't mean that it's permitted to do so. There's a security concern here, and I don't mean aviation security. There are TSOs who steal. You know that. And, of course, I don't mean you or the people who you supervise --you're one of the good guys. There are times when my carry-on bag is full and I'm not wearing a jacket. I'll put my ($2,000) watch, my ($300) pen, my ($500) cellphone and any other metallic objects in the bin with my shoes (sometimes I'll put them in my shoes).
You have a $2,000 watch? Why am I not hanging out with you letting you buy me expensive whiskys?

I really need to upgrade the monetary quality of my friends......

Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
Yes.

Read page four of this thread.
That's part of the complaint but may not be all. That's just the media version of what's happened. It didn't link the actual report, which is what I'd like to see to determine if there is more of an explanation.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by red456
Originally Posted by ElPasoPilot
......Heck, I should have had a field day with the TSO in Toledo who claims he had no choice but to "resolve" the zipper in my fly after he hit it with the wand and it beeped. No belt, ordinary pair of blue jeans. Idiot probed the full length of my freakin' zipper with his hands looking for prohibited objects. That's way too much contact.
You should have immediately called for a supervisor before you allowed the screener to touch you. Tell the supervisor what happened and demand to be re-wanded the correct way in the presence of the supervisor. Then you should have filed a complaint.
exactly right. the wand is not, repeat, not to touch you or it will beep. i get my orthopedic shoes wanded every time and i watch the screener like a hawk. on several occasions, "i beeped due to contact" where i immediately told the screener to stop what they were doing, and try again without having the wand touch my shoes. once i even got a bummed out look from the screener along the lines of "i was trying to catch you but you caught me" when i told him that it beeps just like when you test it by hitting your hand with it so please wand me without contact
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:18 am

Is all that part of the criminal complaint, or is it media release? I can't seem to find it anywhere. If it's part of the criminal complaint, is that all of it?

The attorney can only really go after what's alleged in the complaint. If TSA doesn't go into full detail in a media release there's not much the pilot's attorney can do with that.

I'd like to see the full complaint (police report) before I make any judgments.
No complaint text, but Mr. Karnath is scheduled to appear on July 29th.

http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g...do?index=index

search:
Newport News General District Criminal Court
Case GC09006637-00
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by goalie
exactly right. the wand is not, repeat, not to touch you or it will beep. i get my orthopedic shoes wanded every time and i watch the screener like a hawk. on several occasions, "i beeped due to contact" where i immediately told the screener to stop what they were doing, and try again without having the wand touch my shoes. once i even got a bummed out look from the screener along the lines of "i was trying to catch you but you caught me" when i told him that it beeps just like when you test it by hitting your hand with it so please wand me without contact

Unfortunately, this was a few years back, on one of those days where I was running late to a flight for a business meeting that I did not have the option to miss, so I got stuck with the DYWFT line.

I had not yet been enlightened by Flyertalk. As a typical uneducated traveler, I knew it was wrong, but did not have enough knowledge of the TSA limits, nor of a formal complaint process. Seriously, I think most people think these guys are LEOs, not wannabes. It would be different today.

(In a way it was almost humorous. TSA dude says "It's OK, I'm gonna use the back of my hand," before he runs it up and down my fly. Like that makes a difference.)
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by ElPasoPilot
No complaint text, but Mr. Karnath is scheduled to appear on July 29th.

http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g...do?index=index

search:
Newport News General District Criminal Court
Case GC09006637-00
Thank you for the link.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:49 am

Is the TSA even pursuing this? Looks to me like Bell is personally going after Karnath. Based on what I've read, I'd even further speculate that it was such a BS non issue incident that her supervisor didn't want to get involved nor anyone else from TSA ... maybe she was just too personally pissed to let it go and pursued it outside the scope of her TSA employment?

Besides, wouldnt someone besides Bell be listed as the complainant if the TSA were trying to put their weight behind it? And wouldnt they be tacking on other charges (interfering, etc)?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by WalkinBackToTexas
Is the TSA even pursuing this? Looks to me like Bell is personally going after Karnath. Based on what I've read, I'd even further speculate that it was such a BS non issue incident that her supervisor didn't want to get involved nor anyone else from TSA ... maybe she was just too personally pissed to let it go and pursued it outside the scope of her TSA employment?

Besides, wouldnt someone besides Bell be listed as the complainant if the TSA were trying to put their weight behind it? And wouldnt they be tacking on other charges (interfering, etc)?
If the TSA wanted to press charges the FBI would be the prosecuting agency (FBI investigates assaults on federal employees for the most part). This is not to say they won't in the coming days, because they're never on scene. That would be forthcoming, if it is.

Of course, the individual can still file individual charges with a local agency.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Obviously, the TSA did not file the charges, as it is in State court. That doesn't preclude them from further involvement though, as there is no double jeopardy for seperate jurisdictions.

They could, conceivably, await the results of the A&B case to see if it will fly in District Court.

Personally, if the facts are basically as presented, I'd hate to see a pilot's career ruined over a non-performance related lapse in judgment.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Of course, the individual can still file individual charges with a local agency.
Which is what appears to have happened in this case.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
Obviously, the TSA did not file the charges, as it is in State court. That doesn't preclude them from further involvement though, as there is no double jeopardy for seperate jurisdictions.

They could, conceivably, await the results of the A&B case to see if it will fly in District Court.

Personally, if the facts are basically as presented, I'd hate to see a pilot's career ruined over a non-performance related lapse in judgment.
While I see your point, I also believe that 99.9999% of pilots would press charges if the situation were reversed. Lay hands on a pilot? <gasp>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.