Wiki Posts
Search

foreign currency question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: none yet
foreign currency question

I know that it is lawful to take out $10000 USD from the USA. However, I want to know how much, for example, EURO one can take out FROM THE USA. Is this on top of the $10000 USD or otherwise.

thanks
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A total of $10K USD or equivalent.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I believe it 10k in USD value. So, you'd have to know the current exchange rate to correctly judge this. If you're not sure, I'd certainly declare it.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
You can take any amount of money you wish out of the USA. It doesn't matter what the currency form is nor what type of monetary instrument (cash, checks, money orders, foreign currency).

If you are taking out or bring in more than $10,000 USD (or its foreign equivalent) you simply have to file FinCen Form 105 (Currency Reporting Form).

There is no restriction on how much you can transport (in USD or foreign currency or other monetary instruments), save the form.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:41 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

For Europe is it Euro 10K...?! or still USD...?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:42 am

$10K or equivalent - like all the others answered

BUT why would anyone want to take Euro from the US?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

For Europe is it Euro 10K...?! or still USD...?
"Europe" is a vaguely defined geographical area on the west end of the Eurasian continent, made up of many different countries and cultures, it's not a country.

In any case, for many countries which joined the EU thing, the limit for import/export of cash is 10,000 euros without declaring it. You can bring a billion in or out if you have it and you want to, as long as you declare it.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by lmu2009
I know that it is lawful to take out $10000 USD from the USA. However, I want to know how much, for example, EURO one can take out FROM THE USA. Is this on top of the $10000 USD or otherwise.

thanks
There is no limit, it's unlimited. However $10K USD or equivalent is the max without reporting it, the currency doesn't matter.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by alanR
$10K or equivalent - like all the others answered

BUT why would anyone want to take Euro from the US?
If someone is trying to illegally move money (not declared), the Euro is a currency some are using to launder money because of the 500 EUR note. A 200 note also exists.

The 500 EUR note makes it much easier to illegally transport currencies between nations, including to/from the US. With the exchange rate, the notes are worth a bit over $700 USD as of today. Why carry 7 $100 USD notes when you can carry one 500 EUR note?

Hope no one minds the image - just including it for those unfamiliar with the look of Euro notes.

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; Jun 28, 2009 at 9:13 am
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
The forms for the US are here:
http://www.fincen.gov/forms/files/fin105_cmir.pdf

The limit is $10k or equivelant.
All you have to do is declare the money. However the same goes for the country of destination (most likely). All of Europe (fbtr from the North pole to Malta and from Greenland to Moscow) has the same requirement. Switzerland however being the exception.

However, our fiends at the TSA are going to make your life miserable if they find out. They classify large amounts of cash as being suspect. And their definition of large is way below $10k

Hey, somebody should try an bring through 100 million in whatever currency where that is $100 and see what the TSA says
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by bankops
The forms for the US are here:
http://www.fincen.gov/forms/files/fin105_cmir.pdf

The limit is $10k or equivelant.
All you have to do is declare the money. However the same goes for the country of destination (most likely). All of Europe (fbtr) from the North pole to Malta and from Greenland to Moscow) has the same requirement. Switzerland however being the exception.

However, our fiends at the TSA are going to make your life miserable if they find out. They classify large amounts of cash as being suspect. And their definition of large is way below $10k

Hey, somebody should try an bring through 100 million in whatever currency where that is $100 and see what the TSA says
Zimbabwe currency?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
1 = 17,105 Department

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Zimbabwe currency?
Don't you know the old travel joke "How do you become an instant millionare?"

A: Go to Vietnam and change $59 into Dong.

Bring a grocery bag, in small bills you get a pile the size of a shoebox.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by bankops
I thought about that myself - bring some zimbabwean money through, but piles and piles of it, that totals up to about 500 bucks, lol. It would be fun, though it's a huge waste of time.. but it's fun to make those TSA folk look ignorant.

I've used a 500 euro note before (in Italy), it's quite fun looking at the reaction of the cashier. They really touch it for like 10 seconds before accepting it, and take a good look at you in the eyes.. lol
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:41 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
It doesn't matter what the currency form is nor what type of monetary instrument (cash, checks, money orders, foreign currency).
Just to be clear, it only applies to bearer instruments.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:42 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
You can take any amount of money you wish out of the USA. It doesn't matter what the currency form is nor what type of monetary instrument (cash, checks, money orders, foreign currency).

If you are taking out or bring in more than $10,000 USD (or its foreign equivalent) you simply have to file FinCen Form 105 (Currency Reporting Form).

There is no restriction on how much you can transport (in USD or foreign currency or other monetary instruments), save the form.
PhoenixRev is correct as it is greater than $10k u.s. and not $10k or greater. use the links provided by others for fincen form 105 and present the form to the cpb officer but do be prepared for a few questions .

now, under no circumstances do you offer, volunteer or otherwise provide any information to the tsa about the currency you are transporting as it is not their job to pursue anything along those lines. i don't care what the tsa says bout their sop says or the tso tells you-they are wrong and in violation of the law. it is simply mission creep as you deal with cpb when transporting currency in amounts greater than $10k u.s (see the instructions section of fincen form 105

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.