Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man detained for his writings.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
This reminds me of an incident in October 2001, where someone wasn't allowed to fly because of the book he was reading (An Edward Abbey novel, Hayduke Lives! about a radical environmentalist who blows things up.)

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/10....godfrey.shtml
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by n4zhg
Plus the fact that if the traveler had been named "Tom Clancy" this would not have happened.
Correct. Tom Clancy probably never flies commercial airlines!

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2009, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by n4zhg
If people would remember that the government is NOT here to help you, life would be a lot harder for the power geeks that inhabit the system.
Even though I spent just under a decade working for the Federal Government, I agree with this statement and have taught this principle to my children. The government is not your friend. Never call them or voluntarily get them involved in your affairs. It's going to come back to bite you every time.

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by goalie

i'm wondering if their lips moved while they were reading it?

Not only was your response before mine but it was also funnier. Bad goalie, bad!

Mike
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
This reminds me of an incident in October 2001, where someone wasn't allowed to fly because of the book he was reading (An Edward Abbey novel, Hayduke Lives! about a radical environmentalist who blows things up.)

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/10....godfrey.shtml
There was also a SS agent on the Presidential detail that was given a hard time because he was reading a book printed in Arabic.

All this crap can be considered a violation of a "Fundamental Civil Right" under federal jurisprudence and will put the violator in a world of hurt. Cardboard box housing and spouses selling themselves for food type of hurt.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Even though I spent just under a decade working for the Federal Government, I agree with this statement and have taught this principle to my children. The government is not your friend. Never call them or voluntarily get them involved in your affairs. It's going to come back to bite you every time.

Bruce
I worked for the IRS for just under 10 years. I know exactly what government does, and they do it without lubrication or a kiss.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
And making any judgement regarding the content is indefensible. What next - certain books or papers are to be banned from airports ? Debt of Honor (Clancy) and Storming Heaven (Brown) probably at the top the list. The Koran is OK though, mustn't offend anyone.

If the screeners keep up these egregious abuses the courts might (finally!) be forced to smack them down. Not before time.
Sophistry, again. Saying one likes an author is a judgment true, but not an offensive one. As for reading, a normal human cannot avoid reading something placed in front of them if there are written words on it. Impossible.

Lets try and be a little realistic folks, you cannot demand that the TSO’s not react as any normal human does.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by Ari
They probably read it in Officer Barbrady's style.

LOL! Too funny!

(South Park aficionados know Officer Barbrady is illiterate)
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
Lets try and be a little realistic folks, you cannot demand that the TSO’s not react as any normal human does.
As a "normal human", if I see a fellow PAX reading a book I recognise or have read, I keep my comments to myself. It is called respecting another person's privacy, a concept that TSA just does not seem to get.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon

The problem is that TSO's are not reacting like any normal human.

Most people know to mind their on business and just do their jobs. I don't comment on how a person appears or anything about their possessions.

For TSO's if it's not WEI or a prohibited item then not much needs to be said or commented on.

TSO's are responsible for the hostility many have for your agency. Don't think we want to get chummy with any of you.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:28 pm

This is clearly overreaching. What would trigger any screeners to feel the urge to browse through literature? It gives the impression that these are well read people who are very studious and engage in creative thinking and writings.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
My first post ever in the TS&S forum was because of the violation I felt when the TSA started asking questions about my journal articles I had with me when I passed through security. They have a lot of math in them, as is the norm for any economics article, and TSA started asking what all that stuff was about.

I am sad to hear that all this time later, TSA and the First Amendment still seem to be at odds.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by cparekh
My first post ever in the TS&S forum was because of the violation I felt when the TSA started asking questions about my journal articles I had with me when I passed through security. They have a lot of math in them, as is the norm for any economics article, and TSA started asking what all that stuff was about.

I am sad to hear that all this time later, TSA and the First Amendment still seem to be at odds.
As a mathematician, I share your concerns even though I never had this type of encounter.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I've had TSOs comment on the books/movies that I had in my bag and it never struck me as a problem. Human nature.

But it would strike me as weird if they started leafing through them.

Mike
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
I've had TSOs comment on the books/movies that I had in my bag and it never struck me as a problem. Human nature.

But it would strike me as weird if they started leafing through them.

Mike
I couldn't help but laugh last Thursday afternoon in TPA when the screener doing a bag check on my sons bag opened up both his "Finding Nemo" and "The Wild" dvd cases, pulled out the dvds and lifted them up in the air reflecting light off them as if they were something he had never seen before. So yes it can be wierd but it was also just plain funny to watch, he had a LOT of people staring at him as he held those DVD's up in the air as it was so ridiculous looking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.