Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Shoes Not Allowed In Bins-Must Be On Belt! (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shoes Not Allowed In Bins-Must Be On Belt! (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Thumbs down Shoes Not Allowed In Bins-Must Be On Belt! (Merged Threads)

Proceeding through security at DCA today (DL/CO gates), there was a barker yelling out "NEW RULE - SHOES ARE NOT ALLOWED IN BINS - PUT THEM ON THE BELT BY THEMSELVES WITH NOTHING IN THEM".

This was met with the predictable results. One person had her sandal get "lost" in the machine... in my case, the result was the my shoes pushed the bin of the person in front of me, dumping all her stuff onto the belt and into my shoes & bin as stuff exited the machine. It also ended up taking longer as a result. You'd think that people would apply a bit of common sense and allow shoes in bins (or at least lightweight sandals)... but no, this is TSA we're talking about.

Add this to the Clear idiocy (end of the line, folks), and DCA has become a real mess.

Does DCA have a new FSD or something that wants to mark his territory? That's the only explanation I can see.
Old May 9, 2009, 9:57 am

My response is that if they are willing to personal responsibility for any damage done to my shoes, then fine. Otherwise, they stay in the bin.

The proffered reasoning is to keep the bins cleaner. With all the extra personnel right now, you would think that some could be used to clean the bins instead of doing gate searches. Overall, that would promote more health and safety.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by ND Sol
The proffered reasoning is to keep the bins cleaner. With all the extra personnel right now, you would think that some could be used to clean the bins instead of doing gate searches. Overall, that would promote more health and safety.
Right. And if the shoes are on the belt presumably they'll need somebody to keep that clean as well, or are they going to insist that we place them "soles up."

Old May 9, 2009, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Bull. Doesn’t happen often, but every once in a while I’m wearing really good Italian shoes. No way am I going to let them get munched in the machine.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by ND Sol
The proffered reasoning is to keep the bins cleaner.
The prior system transferred dirt from shoe bottoms to the bottom inside of the bin.
The new system transfers dirt from the shoes to the belt, then to the bottom outside of the next bin, until the bins are stacked, then the dirt falls off and lands. . . on the bottom inside of the same bin.

There must be a SSI reason for doing this. . .
Old May 9, 2009, 11:44 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Push back. Put shoes in the bin anyway.

Shoes belong on passengers' feet, not in the x-ray.

They can go to hell on this matter.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:52 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

And I went through security in SEA about 10 minutes ago and the bins are labeled inside them where you should put your shoes. Don't ya love it?
Old May 10, 2009, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Proceeding through security at DCA today (DL/CO gates), there was a barker yelling out "NEW RULE - SHOES ARE NOT ALLOWED IN BINS - PUT THEM ON THE BELT BY THEMSELVES WITH NOTHING IN THEM".

This was met with the predictable results. One person had her sandal get "lost" in the machine... in my case, the result was the my shoes pushed the bin of the person in front of me, dumping all her stuff onto the belt and into my shoes & bin as stuff exited the machine. It also ended up taking longer as a result. You'd think that people would apply a bit of common sense and allow shoes in bins (or at least lightweight sandals)... but no, this is TSA we're talking about.

Add this to the Clear idiocy (end of the line, folks), and DCA has become a real mess.

Does DCA have a new FSD or something that wants to mark his territory? That's the only explanation I can see.
Never underestimate the level of TSA stupidity.
Old May 10, 2009, 4:13 pm

I've been through a few European airports that request that shoes not be placed in the bins. I suppose it is because no one wants their nice handbags and baby's toys, etc, getting grimy from what's on the bottom of your shoes. Makes sense to me. Course it'd be better if our feet weren't getting grimy from what's on the terminal floor, too....
Old May 10, 2009, 4:20 pm

You would think the easiest way to go would be to buy different colored bins for the shoes.
Old May 10, 2009, 5:43 pm

New policy, nationwide, starting on the 13th (along with a couple of other things).

Nothing can be inside of shoes, still, and all shoes must go directly onto the x-ray belt, soles-down. Shoes are no longer allowed to be run through the x-ray machine inside of bins. We are to advise passengers to remove shoes from the bins, or, lacking that, to remove them ourselves and place them onto the belt.

Apparently, DCA decided to get a jump start on it.
Old May 10, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
The war on shoes gets larger
Old May 10, 2009, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
New policy, nationwide, starting on the 13th (along with a couple of other things).

Nothing can be inside of shoes, still, and all shoes must go directly onto the x-ray belt, soles-down. Shoes are no longer allowed to be run through the x-ray machine inside of bins. We are to advise passengers to remove shoes from the bins, or, lacking that, to remove them ourselves and place them onto the belt.

Apparently, DCA decided to get a jump start on it.
It will be interesting to see when, if at all, tsa.gov is updated to reflect this. I did a quick look around and found a photo on this page which shows a pair of shoes in a bin.

If, as Dean says, this isn't scheduled to go into effect until the 13th, then they've got some time to effect the change ...
Old May 10, 2009, 7:19 pm

I can't wait to see what happens when someones shoes get destroyed because the shoe laces get tangled in the belt or high heels snap.
Old May 10, 2009, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by magellan315
I can't wait to see what happens when someones shoes get destroyed because the shoe laces get tangled in the belt or high heels snap.
better yet-when a <insert absurdly hight amount of money here as it's a government contract that paid for it> x-ray machine becomes a paperweight due to said shoe laces getting tangled in the machine where the "owner's manual" specifically states that shoes should be placed in a "protective bin" so to prevent the shoelaces from damaging said machine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.