Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Shoes Not Allowed In Bins-Must Be On Belt! (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shoes Not Allowed In Bins-Must Be On Belt! (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 11:17 am

Ugh. I have very small feet. The last time I went through an airport that made me put my shoes on the belt directly, my sneakers got caught in the machine, munching the laces as a result. I was told then that my shoes were "too light" and I needed to do something to "weigh them down". I replied that this is why I put them in the bin. No response.

What am I supposed to do now? Just hope that every time I go through security my shoes don't get destroyed?
Old May 13, 2009, 11:36 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
New policy, nationwide, starting on the 13th (along with a couple of other things).

Nothing can be inside of shoes, still, and all shoes must go directly onto the x-ray belt, soles-down. Shoes are no longer allowed to be run through the x-ray machine inside of bins. We are to advise passengers to remove shoes from the bins, or, lacking that, to remove them ourselves and place them onto the belt.

Apparently, DCA decided to get a jump start on it.
So what exactly happens if a passenger disregards the new policy and places his shoes in a bin. At many airports there is no TSA employee near the infeed belt to remove them. Will the X-ray operator pull the shoes and re-scan them? Will I be sent back through the WTMD? Will my feet get a pat-down?
Old May 13, 2009, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I’ve got one better; what if I put my shoes inside my carryon before it goes in the machine?
Old May 13, 2009, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Is TSA writing your physics textbooks now?

Tell the former Aussie gov't with their "Be alert but not alarmed" fridge magnets* and the current gov't's "If you see something, say something" TV scare campaign.

*Oh how I wish I was making that up, but they actually sent fridge magnets to every household in Australia.
I wish the TSA would send fridge magnets to every household, that would be cool.

(note: I am in the direct mail industry and we could use a boost right now)
Old May 13, 2009, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I’ve got one better; what if I put my shoes inside my carryon before it goes in the machine?
Bag check!

Yes, it does seem rather incongruous that you can have shoes stuffed to the gills in your carry-on, but the ones on our feet have to come off and be segregated from everything, including a bin.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MrMan
I thought the reason for shoes outside the bin is reduce the number of bins having to be brought back from secure side
This is probably the only logical argument I have seen on this whole stupid rule. Of course that only makes me want to go out of my way to see just how many bins I can use per trip.

I was somewhere in the last week or two (can't remember where, maybe BWI) and had a TSO standing at the end of the belt yelling at people to remove their own bins and stack them on the cart for him. He was standing RIGHT THERE doing nothing but yell at us to do his job. Normally I might actually do that if the bins are backing up, but once he start to yell there wasn't a chance in hell that I would do that.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mudfish
I was somewhere in the last week or two (can't remember where, maybe BWI) and had a TSO standing at the end of the belt yelling at people to remove their own bins and stack them on the cart for him. He was standing RIGHT THERE doing nothing but yell at us to do his job. Normally I might actually do that if the bins are backing up, but once he start to yell there wasn't a chance in hell that I would do that.
While the yelling isn't the best customer service ... I can (almost) see the procedure from his point of view. All you need to have is one TSO who accidentally picks up a non-empty bin (hey, TSOs make mistakes occasionally) and now you've got an accusation of theft. Or, you have a TSO who picks up an empty bin that a passenger thinks isn't empty (hey, passengers make mistakes occasionally, too), and now you've got another accusation of theft.

On the other hand, if passengers are the only ones to touch the bins between when they take them out of one stack and when they put them onto the other stack, then you've removed either of those scenarios from play. (And, of course, the scenario no-one wants, where a bad TSO picks up a non-empty bin and pockets the contents.)

But the tone of voice with which that policy is executed makes a difference.
Old May 13, 2009, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
1000 questions per day will Make their Shift

Originally Posted by txrus
Shoes 'CANNOT' go in the bins. Shoes 'MUST' be placed flat on the belt.
Pax should pretend to be genuinely concerned and pretend to believe there is a reason for their OCD madness and ask, with a straight face, "Am I supposed to put them in toe first or heal first or sideways?"
Old May 13, 2009, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mudfish
This is probably the only logical argument I have seen on this whole stupid rule. Of course that only makes me want to go out of my way to see just how many bins I can use per trip.
I think my personal record is 4, I don't think I've quite managed to hit 5 yet. One for the shoes, one for the camera bag, one for the laptop, and one for the camcorder.
Old May 13, 2009, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
My laptop and shoes fit in one bin, so I had either 2 or 3 items go through screening. Now I have 3 or 4, it doesn't make sense but I not going to throw a fit over it like I saw a guy do at ATL on Monday morning in the elite line.
Old May 13, 2009, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
but, as asked by others before as well....

whaddabout dem ebil ter'wrist shooze in carry on luggage? i know lots of folks who change their shoes after the a/c has reached crusie (i.e. coming from work and you would rather put on your sneaks as opposed to wearing your work shoes)

extra, extra
read all about it.
tsa at its best
extra, extra

personally, i'd like to see a pax revolt a national level....

tso: you have pax take your shoes off
pax: i have diabetes
tso: so you can't take your shoes off?
tso: what's that got to do with your shoes?
tso: so that means you can't take off your shoes?

you can see how the conversation would go with the pax simply saying "i have diabetes" and each subsequent response from the tso violating the ada and hippa

could be fun....
Old May 13, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Stoopid, Stoopid rule! Just when I was starting to like TSA.

Well, Ok, maybe not like, but at least tolerate.
Old May 13, 2009, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tonypct
Stoopid, Stoopid rule! Just when I was starting to like TSA.

Well, Ok, maybe not like, but at least tolerate.
tolerate?

you feeling all right? methinks thou needest a tootsie-pop to come back to your senses
Old May 13, 2009, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
What am I supposed to do now? Just hope that every time I go through security my shoes don't get destroyed?
If you put your shoes soles down, but then covered them with an upside down bin, I wonder what TSA would say? You are complying. If doing less work by having people use less bins is their goal, it ruins that idea tho.
Old May 13, 2009, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codex57
If you put your shoes soles down, but then covered them with an upside down bin, I wonder what TSA would say? You are complying. If doing less work by having people use less bins is their goal, it ruins that idea tho.
Then you would be accused of using the super-secret code that airline crew uses to tell the x-ray operator of their bags coming through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.