Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Amtrak photo contestant arrested by Amtrak police

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak photo contestant arrested by Amtrak police

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Private companies can arrest people in the land of the free?
Because some police officers are very brave!. Always ready to do more than their job.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:27 pm

Oh how I wish I happened to be the guy taking pictures of the photographer being arrested in Penn Station! I would SO win that contest.

Old Jan 5, 2009, 5:06 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Ari
We only have one side of the story, but it sounds like some (albeit minimal) excessive force was used.
With malicious intent, as is to be expected.

Edit: has a police officer in the US ever been charged criminally, or even disciplined, for this kind of thing?

Last edited by ralfp; Jan 5, 2009 at 5:34 pm
Old Jan 5, 2009, 5:51 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfp
With malicious intent, as is to be expected.

Edit: has a police officer in the US ever been charged criminally, or even disciplined, for this kind of thing?
With handcuffing backwards, I don't know. For other intentional handcuffing mishaps, I imagine in many cases, when a large jury verdict comes down against a department for excessive force, the officers involved are disciplined. There are several such cases.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Superguy
Amtrak's heavily subsidized by the government, so I wouldn't necessarily call them private.

That said, I'm not sure where they derive legal authority to have police. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on here would have that answer.
All railroads usually have a police force, the freight carriers have them. So it's nothing new. Railroad police have been around since the 1800s during the days of train robberies.

That being I said, in my off time, I'm a bit of transportation geek, I like planes... but I have a bigger thing for trains. Of course, I love to take photos, so back in December, I decided to head into downtown Boston to fill up my CharlieCard and of course get some photos of trains.

Of course, I've many a problem involving South Station and the MBTA and Amtrak and their over zealousness for photography equating it with terrorism.

Personally, most of my co-workers and me don't mind phototaking, the skycaps tend to whine that it's illegal. There's nothing we can do to you for taking photos... but if you walked straight up to an X-ray and snapped a photo... I'd take that as a bit weird.

Now... I want to enter that contest!

Last edited by LoganTSO; Jan 6, 2009 at 6:53 pm
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I hope he takes them to the bank. This is despicable.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Wouldn't surprise me if some laws are made up on the spot.
When it comes to "security", pretty much all the laws are made up on the spot. It Keeps Us Safe.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, I believe that Amtrak is the owner - and almost certainly the primary operator - of NYP station. That may be sufficient to have the platforms considered Amtrak Property with respect to the scope of the laws.

That doesn't excuse the actions of the Amtrak cop, but at least they are in their jurisdiction enforcing a law that doesn't really exist.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:34 pm

Well, Amtrak seems to be pretty notorious for harassing people with cameras. Wouldn't surprise me if some laws are made up on the spot. I think it'd hard to prove trespass if doing nothing illegal, especially if the person has purchased a ticket.
Assuming that the guy's story is true, it's pretty clear that the cop knew that it was legal to take photos. If he thought it wasn't, he would have cited the guy for failure to obey a lawful order.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Private companies can arrest people in the land of the free?
Freight companies have "railroad police" who have many of the same powers as government law enforcement personnel. It's a weird little corner of the world, perhaps left over from when railroads ran through lots of places that had no law enforcement to speak of. If Amtrak has the same railroad police, they can definitely arrest people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_police

There's this rail crossing near my BART station in the SF area that every couple of months has the railroad police staking it out. They then pull over lots of cars and issue tickets, I don't know for what. I noticed because one railroad police vehicle had followed a car to the BART parking lot and was issuing the citation there.

Just think, a private corporation with police powers. Fabulous.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boghopper
Freight companies have "railroad police" who have many of the same powers as government law enforcement personnel. It's a weird little corner of the world, perhaps left over from when railroads ran through lots of places that had no law enforcement to speak of. If Amtrak has the same railroad police, they can definitely arrest people.
It's almost as bad as "off-duty" cops working as rent-a-cops while in uniform, i.e. police officers taking bribes to selectively protect certain people. Talk about a potential conflict of interest.

If a rent-a-cop cop's employer assaults a customer, does the rented cop arrest the employer (and get fired), or the arrest the victim (and thus violate his/her duty as a law-enforcement officer)?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:45 pm

I hope that he sues these clowns too??

What did the Circus have to do with this? I love the Circus and the Clowns, they make me . Leave the clowns & circus out of your crazy comments, if you must attack the Amtrak Police, do so, but again leave the clowns out of this
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by harpodamann
What did the Circus have to do with this? I love the Circus and the Clowns, they make me . Leave the clowns & circus out of your crazy comments, if you must attack the Amtrak Police, do so, but again leave the clowns out of this
Hey, it's just another example of Homey D. Clown being held down by the Man!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:24 pm

Hey, it's just another example of Homey D. Clown being held down by the Man!
Thx 4 da good laugh
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Colbert Report takes on Amtrak photo debacle

Stephen Colbert devoted an entire segment last night to this incident. It's the second segment of the episode...I don't know how to link to the second segment specifically, but once the episode starts, you can click on the progress bar to the second segment...about 8:50 into the episode.

It's worth the watch as a high profile show skewers Amtrak's hypocrisy:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/55853/the-...009#s-p1-sr-i0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.