Blender in carry on?

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
Blender in carry on?

I tried searching but didn't really see this addressed. Is there any kind of blender that I would be able to bring in a carry on? I would love to be able to make breakfast smoothies on the road, so it would only need to be powerful enough to handle fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries... whatever I can find at the concierge lounge, and then some flax seed).
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
I tried searching but didn't really see this addressed. Is there any kind of blender that I would be able to bring in a carry on? I would love to be able to make breakfast smoothies on the road, so it would only need to be powerful enough to handle fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries... whatever I can find at the concierge lounge, and then some flax seed).
You forgot to mention the rum!

I have often checked a blender, but I haven't tried to carry one on. I would guess that it would be up to the capriciousness of the TSO if the blades constituted a weapon. There is no specific regulation against, and the blades are clearly less than 4 inches.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:52 am

Shouldn't be a problem, but that is again just me as a TSO. I've never seen one stopped, but you never know who might have an issue with it. I hear at MCO there is an army of new people working out, so be wary any of you folks flying through there.

You should be good.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by Iworkhere
I hear at MCO there is an army of new people working out
So this group will look totally buff, compared to the ones before?
(Sorry, after brief image of a cp aerobics class, I just couldn't help myself.)

About the blender:
May help if you can verify that neither it nor its parts are on the prohibited list, and the carrier agrees.

Several years ago I needed to travel with a 12V DC power source (plastic box with jumper cables outside, sealed battery inside, fits easily under seat.) For reasons I won't go into here, flying with it was by far the cheapest solution to the problem. Was surprised, but thrilled, to find they were NOT on the prohibited list. Bought my ticket after checking that WN and SJC's then "shift security officer" concurred I could fly with it.

This did not matter to SJC TSOs, who shied from it like skittish horses. No point making the trip if it wasn't with me, so back to the ticket counter to get my checked bag back. WN supervisor instantly said "That is a permitted item and you can bring it on the plane" and walked me back through the cp waving badge as needed. (One of many reasons I love WN.)

Since probably the only questionable part of a blender is the blade, I'd carry it fully assembled to look as normal and recognizable as possible. Not that it makes any actual difference, but to least challenge any lukewarm intellects you may encounter. Smoothies on the road sounds greatgood luck!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by YCTTSFM

... probably the only questionable part of a blender is the blade, I'd carry it fully assembled to look as normal and recognizable as possible.
What if said blender has a "liquify" function?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
What if said blender has a "liquify" function?
Some can liquefy anything!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:21 pm

you can pick up a cheap blender anywhere for 10 bucks. why take a chance?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I'm in different cities every week, and don't want to spend $10 every time I want to blend something. Ideally I'd like to find a small, personal-sized one that I could use every time I travel
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:33 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Blender as carry-on: TSA takes the blades, lets you keep the rest. Good luck blending.

Sample size = 1 (one attempt and one power-hungry TSO & TSA). The fact that a fist, broken glass bottle, vocal tract implying a threat, etc. present a greater threat seems to elude the agency that represents the will of 300 million or so US citizens)
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:41 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
Is there any kind of blender that I would be able to bring in a carry on?
You could tell them you're organising a mixer.

Sorry it had to be said. Hope it all goes smoothly.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Suggestion...

Here's a blender you can take with you:

Bass-O-Matic

Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:03 am
Original Poster

I already have a very small blender where the blades (maybe 1.5" long) are built into the bottom of the cup, and it doesn't come apart (big pain for cleaning, but that's another story). However, if I wanted to cut someone or something, I'd first have to fit it into the cup and get it to the bottom (does that make sense?). To me, that doesn't seem like a security risk, but my guess is that TSA might feel differently...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by 4444
you can pick up a cheap blender anywhere for 10 bucks. why take a chance?
Not necessarily. I once bought the last blender in Bangkok, since there were none to be found in Ko Tao.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Plus, if I'm just going between the airport, office, and hotel, it's not usually feasible to find someplace to buy a blender. Hotel gift shops don't typically sell them that I know of
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You could try that "Bullet" thing they advertise on TV - seems to work well (on TV). Of course remember to take it out of the box - you don't want the screeners to see a box with the word 'bullet' written on it. They might think you're trying to bring a real bullet on board.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.