Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

birth certificate for 6mo old for domestic travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold

I know the airline's official policy is to require a birth certificate but it seems that most ppl are not asked to show one. I requested a birth certificate for our 6 month old son last month, they haven't begun processing it until this week(long story). We're flying to SFO on saturday. Should we be worried about not having the birth cert by then?
Old May 13, 2008, 6:59 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by hull22
I know the airline's official policy is to require a birth certificate but it seems that most ppl are not asked to show one. I requested a birth certificate for our 6 month old son last month, they haven't begun processing it until this week(long story). We're flying to SFO on saturday. Should we be worried about not having the birth cert by then?
You should be fine as long as you are not crossing the national borders.
Old May 13, 2008, 7:01 pm

I'd venture a guess that most 6 month olds areobviously under 2 and could be a child without any issue.
Old May 13, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gj83
I'd venture a guess that most 6 month olds areobviously under 2 and could be a child without any issue.
Careful though, the TSA is involved so anything is up in the air. The kid might have to go solo through the wtmd and require secondary screening.

Last edited by purpleskiesfly; May 13, 2008 at 7:24 pm
Old May 14, 2008, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly
Careful though, the TSA is involved so anything is up in the air. The kid might have to go solo through the wtmd and require secondary screening.
Hope you caught the smiley...... My son was flying at about 2 months old, and has actually NEVER been asked for a birth certificate. We got an Ohio ID card for him at about 2yrs, but never used it.... Even now, at 13, he has never been asked for any ID, and he is on a plane 3x/year, most recent about 4 weeks ago..... Of course, he is with me or Mrs. INY when he travels...
Old May 14, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
For the OP, the b/c is only needed when traveling for free as a lap baby. In practice, nobody is going to harrass you about a 6 month old. But, if he's a big boy like ours, you might be asked about it when he's 18-months. That said, one of the particularly snarky airlines about this has been Southwest.

Originally Posted by wb8iny
Hope you caught the smiley...... My son was flying at about 2 months old, and has actually NEVER been asked for a birth certificate. We got an Ohio ID card for him at about 2yrs, but never used it.... Even now, at 13, he has never been asked for any ID, and he is on a plane 3x/year, most recent about 4 weeks ago..... Of course, he is with me or Mrs. INY when he travels...
Children under 18 don't need ID to fly if they are flying with an adult companion.

Children under 18 traveling alone (or with other minors) must have their own photo ID.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I've never been asked for a BC for domestic travel for either of my sons, now 4 and 2. In fact, when I asked airline personnel about bringing a copy, they recommended against, presumably just to avoid the chance that I would lose it during my travels and be at risk for some form of identity theft.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by jonesing
For the OP, the b/c is only needed when traveling for free as a lap baby. In practice, nobody is going to harrass you about a 6 month old. But, if he's a big boy like ours, you might be asked about it when he's 18-months. That said, one of the particularly snarky airlines about this has been Southwest.

Children under 18 don't need ID to fly if they are flying with an adult companion.

Children under 18 traveling alone (or with other minors) must have their own photo ID.

True about Southwest; they usually won't let you do OLCI with a lap child. You need to show up at the airport and present that birth certificate.

My under 18 year old children and stepchild travel alone frequently. At their ages, they are not required to have picture ID.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Really? I didn't think so. Care to cite a source? Is this a TSA requirement, or an airline requirement?
Old May 14, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Quote:

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Really? I didn't think so. Care to cite a source? Is this a TSA requirement, or an airline requirement?
Right... this doesn't pass the giggle test. If the rest of us don't need ID to fly, why would such a requirement be applied to UM's ?
Old May 14, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
True about Southwest; they usually won't let you do OLCI with a lap child. You need to show up at the airport and present that birth certificate.
couldn't you just check in, then call and tell them you have a lap child??

although I guess it doesn't really matter, because you'll get to preboard anyways.

incorrect. i recently took my cousin to the airport (she's 12), and the only ID needed by TSA was mine, to use the gate pass.
Old May 14, 2008, 5:01 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
As many have said, he doesn't need a birth certificate to fly. But the airline can in principle require a birth certificate to fly for free as a lap child. That said, it's highly unlikely anyone would ask to see that, especially for a 6-month old who is clearly under the age of 2.
Old May 14, 2008, 5:02 pm

This was all pre-9/11, but I was required to show a birth certificate both times I flew as an unaccompanied minor.
Old May 14, 2008, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by sammy0623
couldn't you just check in, then call and tell them you have a lap child?
although I guess it doesn't really matter, because you'll get to preboard anyways.
Actually, although I'm on Skyteam airlines most of the time, that is exactly how it works..... They make an annoucement (or on the screen) that if you are traveling with a lap infant to let them know, I assumed so that they would have the correct number of "souls on board"... I suppose if the "infant" was of questionable size, they could press further, but as others have mentioned only Southwest seems to be real anal about that. Anyway, if you don't declare him/her, and it isn't listed on the BP, I assume they simply direct you back to the GA.
Old May 14, 2008, 6:10 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wb8iny
..... They make an annoucement (or on the screen) that if you are traveling with a lap infant to let them know, I assumed so that they would have the correct number of "souls on board"...
Moreover, they have to make sure they put you somewhere on the plane that has four (4) oxygen masks for three (3) seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.