Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Air Travel affected by my arrest warrant?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GypsyFlyer
Is Big Brother watching? More importantly, does Big Brother care about a speeding ticket?

Yes...yes. Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:40 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by GypsyFlyer
Can a speeding ticket in PA affect my ability to fly from Virginia to Minnesota? Is Big Brother watching? More importantly, does Big Brother care about a speeding ticket?
A speeding charge and subsequent failure to pay warrant are misdemeanor crimes which seldom, if ever get entered into NCIC, which is the computer system that would be used to run a wanted check on you. One of the requirements for entry of a wanted person is a recognition the issuing agency is willing to extradite you for prosecution. As misdemeanor warrants are not valid across states lines, Pennsylvania authorities are limited to the state if they want to extradite.

I really do not believe anyone outside of the original issuing jurisdiction even knows you exist.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Vas is right, The short answer is no you don't need to worry about a traffic warrant affecting your travel. A warrant for speeding will not be entered in the National Crime Information Center files. Avoid PA, until the ticket is paid or you may be arrested and made to post bail in that state. The more important issue is that your license may be suspended by your state upon notification by PA that you have an unpaid ticket. That means that you will be driving under suspension until the ticket is paid and warrant quashed. You will have to apply for reinstatement in your home state, file an SR-22 and tell your insurance company that your license has been suspended. If you are pulled over, and driving on a suspended license regardless of where you are you can count on going to jail, and having your car impounded.

You may also experience repercussions with the rental car companies, since they occasionally check DMV files for valid licenses of renters.

BTW, cops love to catch drivers under suspension. Remember that means having your car and your person
searched incident to arrest. . . if you have anything that can be considered contraband, you will be charged
with that too.

Get this fixed. And soon. . .

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Last edited by Dresden; Mar 31, 2008 at 8:12 pm
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
When you get a traffic citation in PA you have to respond within 10 days. This is what didn't happen and why the warrant was issued. PA citations do not have a hearing date generated automatically. You can plead guilty or not guilty by mail, though either way you have to come up with the original fine (and in fact an extra 5 bucks if you plead not guilty)....
Um, it is now $7. I found this out last week.

OT: How in the hell are speed traps legal??? Why was the guy next to me not pulled over and I was? He was driving slightly in front of me the whole stretch of road.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:25 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
As of now the OP still has one post. He/she must be locked up now.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:32 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by honeytoes
Um, it is now $7. I found this out last week.

OT: How in the hell are speed traps legal??? Why was the guy next to me not pulled over and I was? He was driving slightly in front of me the whole stretch of road.
The majority of cops exist to raise revenue and basically serve no other purpose (just look at education and training standards). But in the end as cops I know have said "They caught you" simple as that.

As for the OP it depends on what the jurisdiction wants to do. I had a ticket in a small town that I never paid, and they never entered into the NCIC system; then they dumped after ~ten years. I managed to get two Top Secret and SCI US and NATO security clearances, official passports, and have other “checks” run while the ticket was unpaid and it never showed. And now it is gone (I called to check one day when the statute of limitations had run out).

So "It depends" on what that agency wants to do with the information. In the end it might be best to clear it up, but your choice. Maybe PA has deferred adjudication and you can have ticket dismissed (if it is not too late to get it since you missed the show date). As for the TSA they probably have more tickets than you and I combined

Ciao,
FH
Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by Dresden
The more important issue is that your license may be suspended by your state upon notification by PA that you have an unpaid ticket. That means that you will be driving under suspension until the ticket is paid and warrant quashed. You will have to apply for reinstatement in your home state, file an SR-22 and tell your insurance company that your license has been suspended.
Been there, done that, with the state of NC suspending my license for a speeding ticket that I got in WV. Of course, I didn't realize that this was even possible until I got the suspension letter from NC five months after I paid the ticket. Lesson learned - regardless of what it might cost, if the offense is one that would get your license suspended in your home state, be prepared to take it to court in the jurisdiction where the offense allegedly occurred.

And yes, it really jumps your insurance rates, and not to mention in NC at the time there was no such thing as "occupational privileges" for a DMV suspension...so just get it fixed before you cause yourself any mroe consternation.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:17 am

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
i seriously doubt that a warrant for a speeding ticket is gonna raise a whole lot of eyebrows.
but in this day and age who knows?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
why don't you call the court and explain to them what happened. They should be able to strike the warrant as long as you pay them.

my friend had unpaid speeding tickets in California, got pulled over with a suspended license and the cop, for some reason, said he could go after mentioning all that to him. So YMMV on this one...
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:11 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
As the OP's question has been sufficiently addressed, we'll close this thread to further off-topic discussion and squabbling.

----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.