Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No ID secondary - "Show me your ID"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
As I said - I must be the only person who agrees with the heightened security in the US. But yes - I feel safer.
It is a pity, because you are not safer. US security is off in an imaginary world of it's own that has little or no consideration of your safety.

That may be why you are the only one left supporting it.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL-2MM, NW, AA, AS, NZ, AM
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
As I said - I must be the only person who agrees with the heightened security in the US. But yes - I feel safer.
...You and millions more of lemmings feel safer...that's what counts, you feel safer...well, you ain't.

TSA-Making The Throngs Feel Safe While The Tewowists Think.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is a federal law on the books which makes it a crime for any government agent to read, copy or otherwise examine the written contents of a person's papers, documents, etc. without a warrant (I think a customs search is exempt, though).

The law was posted on here a couple years back, and I can't find that post, otherwise I would have re-posted it numerous times when a similar incident is reported.

The TSA can search your stuff for prohibited items - they cannot read your documents. If they attempt to do so, you should stop the search (taking away the papers if necessary), and call for a GSC and/or screening manager.

If we had the CFR number that covers this issue, it would be easier so you can quote it when forbidding the screener from reading your stuff.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Andy1369
WHAT?!

They actually put your name and seat assignment?! This freaks me out really badly. You may think it's harmless, but what if they keep a record? HOW IS THIS EVEN THEIR BUSINESS?! JUST GIVE YOU A SECONDARY - DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME DOWN!

I'm so pissed. I called DCA's TSA department to ask about this also today - looks like the guy lied to me! He said if someone forgot their ID, the ID checker would just put down what the flight # is for survey purposes, NO personally identifiable information at all whatosever.

Sorry if I seem overreactive or really upset, but this just freaks me out. Why put your name on a "list" if you don't have ID? What's the point?
Simmer down Andy. As stated before, those forms for the 'I refuse to show my ID to the government' secondarys are all about the airlines ID check and nothing about the shady passengers who hate the government. No passengers names are writen down on the form. TSA has even stopped putting down passengers names for all SSSS checks.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
You can get blown up by a stupid terrorist as well as a smart one.
Can you provide more details of these explosive passports being carried by criminals/terrorists who try to hide them from the TSA ?

I'm really, really scared now.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 3:29 pm

Don't give them the wallet in the first place

What I would have done is simply kept my ID inside my wallet, and my passport in my pocket. If asked to empty my pockets, the wallet and passport would have remained in my hands at all times, and I would have refused any request to inspect them. TSA can inspect most things I am carrying, but there are limits. They can't require me to remove all of my clothing. And they can't inspect my wallet. I refuse. I believe a judge would back me up on that. And I certainly wouldn't have answered a bunch of nosy questions. Let's assume for purposes of this discussion that this is a thin wallet that obviously contains only cards and papers and does not contain metal.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by AisleSitter
What I would have done is simply kept my ID inside my wallet, and my passport in my pocket. If asked to empty my pockets, the wallet and passport would have remained in my hands at all times, and I would have refused any request to inspect them. TSA can inspect most things I am carrying, but there are limits. They can't require me to remove all of my clothing. And they can't inspect my wallet. I refuse. I believe a judge would back me up on that. And I certainly wouldn't have answered a bunch of nosy questions. Let's assume for purposes of this discussion that this is a thin wallet that obviously contains only cards and papers and does not contain metal.
In order to determine that there is no metal in your thin wallet it would need to be inspected by a TSO.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Haveaniceday
In order to determine that there is no metal in your thin wallet it would need to be inspected by a TSO.
If the WTMD didn't alarm, then no reason to inspect. If the WTMD alarmed but the HHMD didn't on the pocket containing the wallet, then no reason to inspect.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 6:26 pm

My question to erictank is this: how does the security guy know the passport is not stolen when he finds it? He needs to check it. How does the security guy know that the person presenting themselves is not, for example, an escaped convict (who simply says "I have no ID to escape detection".
The TSO is not a law-enforcement officer. He has no authority to do what you want him to. Referral of OP to a LEO for refusing to show ID to TSA is, IMO, a criminal abuse of authority, as is obtaining his personal information without his consent when he satisfied the established measures for no-ID screening.

How does he (the screener) know YOUR driver's license isn't stolen, or faked? How does he know YOU aren't an escaped convict?

A person presents themselves as having no ID. Then a form of ID is found. Protestations are made which could be interpreted by a reasonable person as "hey! Don't look too closely... I have something to hide".
Or else, "Get bent, fascist pigs, I'm following your own published rules - you'd better, as well."

There was an EXCELLENT article a while back on the fallacy of "It's okay, if you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?" Let me see if I can find it again... Got it. Go here: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=998565 The paper should be free to download from any of several sites listed on that page. It's well worth reading.

As a fellow passenger I would feel uncomfortable with the action of the OP - and I distinguish this case because the OP was actually carrying ID.
That's okay - quite frankly, your comfort with someone who's following the established rules is not a prerequisite for his getting through the secondary groping and getting on the plane without showing ID. Nervous? YOU can get off the plane, no one's stopping you. He did what he was supposed to do. Your irrational paranoia about it is simply not relevant.

Sometime catching convicts / terrorists etc involves a little bit of luck. This could have just been one of those times.

Regards

lme ff
Except for the whole "ID =/= security" bit... OP was subjected to the requisite retaliatory screening for refusing to show ID, which screening ascertained that he was not in possession of any dangerous items such as bottled water, skin lotion, or 3.5oz of toothpaste. He did not alarm ANY monitors. In short, he satisfied the no-ID screening requirements. TSA's legitimate interest in and (reputedly-legitimate) authority over him ENDED RIGHT THERE. Personally, I'd be okay with sitting next to Osama Bin Laden on a commercial aircraft, if he actually cleared the screening process the general public is so enthusiastic about. Of course, I'd be making a call to the FBI to meet him at the arrival gate as soon as I recognized him, but if he's not carrying anything which can threaten the aircraft, what's the problem?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

What I would have done is simply kept my ID inside my wallet, and my passport in my pocket. If asked to empty my pockets, the wallet and passport would have remained in my hands at all times, and I would have refused any request to inspect them.
They physically removed the passport from my hand when I removed it from my pocket. I said no and was basically given the DY...T treatment. My DL was in my bag and they took it out during the examination of my bag. The only other thing in my pocket was cash, and they did not require me to relinquish it.

I did not alarm the WTMD and I was not given a HHMD. I was given a physical pat-down, which is consistent with my experience with other secondaries. The big difference in this case is that the pat-down included my pockets, not just my ankles, arms and torso, and they did ask me to remove everything from my pockets to show them. As I said above, I was not given an option to maintain possession of my passport at that point.

As to the form that was filled out, it was the same form this weekend at EWR as it was in IAH and SEA (where I've seen them fill it out). It is a single page and has about 10 check-boxes for the "why" part of the event, including no id, expired, damaged, etc. They copied my name off the BP and put it on the form. They've done this every time I had a No ID event.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
They copied my name off the BP and put it on the form. They've done this every time I had a No ID event.
To me, there exists no legally-justifiable reason to copy down your name from your B/P in a No-ID situation.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Did the private, contracted ID checkers do the same thing?

They physically removed the passport from my hand when I removed it from my pocket. I said no and was basically given the DY...T treatment. My DL was in my bag and they took it out during the examination of my bag. The only other thing in my pocket was cash, and they did not require me to relinquish it.

I did not alarm the WTMD and I was not given a HHMD. I was given a physical pat-down, which is consistent with my experience with other secondaries. The big difference in this case is that the pat-down included my pockets, not just my ankles, arms and torso, and they did ask me to remove everything from my pockets to show them. As I said above, I was not given an option to maintain possession of my passport at that point.

As to the form that was filled out, it was the same form this weekend at EWR as it was in IAH and SEA (where I've seen them fill it out). It is a single page and has about 10 check-boxes for the "why" part of the event, including no id, expired, damaged, etc. They copied my name off the BP and put it on the form. They've done this every time I had a No ID event.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:37 pm

They physically removed the passport from my hand when I removed it from my pocket. I said no and was basically given the DY...T treatment.
I assume "they" is TSA. Then that's assault and battery. They can deny you entry, but nothing gives you the right to assault you. Inspection is done by consent. Consent does not include inspection of papers. Once an assault occurs, I'd call the police.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:57 pm

I assume "they" is TSA. Then that's assault and battery(emphasis added). They can deny you entry, but nothing gives you the right to assault you. Inspection is done by consent. Consent does not include inspection of papers. Once an assault occurs, I'd call the police.
Really? How so and in what jurisdiction? Please provide links to the relevent statute(s).

TB
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerminalBliss
Really? How so and in what jurisdiction? Please provide links to the relevent statute(s).
Isn't the simple definition of assault an action that causes fear of harmful or offensive action on the part of the victim?

Battery is touching in the furtherance of an assault.

If a TSA screener physically removed an ID from my grasp, I would say that counts as assault and battery.

I'm sure a lawyer or LEO will chime in here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.