Wiki Posts
Search

Seizing kid's toothpaste

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Seizing kid's toothpaste

Traveling out of GGG the other day (the only commercial traffic there is three American Eagle flights daily), I noticed a TSO doing a bag check on a toddler's backpack. The kid looked to be about two or three.

The TSO finds a round can-looking container of children's toothpaste in the backpack and says, "This is too big!" Those guys are thorough.

So mom and dad are given the choice of taking it to the car or tossing it. They agree to tossing it.

I feel much safer now.

Now, a question to TSA employees who post here. Do you ever just look the other way when you find something like that, or would you get in big trouble from Kipland?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
How stupid. PLEASE get rid of this agency now. Makes me .....sick.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
does...

tsa employ any under weight, under 50, without attitude employees??
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker
Traveling out of GGG the other day (the only commercial traffic there is three American Eagle flights daily), I noticed a TSO doing a bag check on a toddler's backpack. The kid looked to be about two or three.

The TSO finds a round can-looking container of children's toothpaste in the backpack and says, "This is too big!" Those guys are thorough.

So mom and dad are given the choice of taking it to the car or tossing it. They agree to tossing it.

I feel much safer now.

Now, a question to TSA employees who post here. Do you ever just look the other way when you find something like that, or would you get in big trouble from Kipland?
Are you asking this question only because it was found in a childs backpack? Would you still ask that same question if the over limit toothpaste was in the parents bag?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Haveaniceday
Are you asking this question only because it was found in a childs backpack? Would you still ask that same question if the over limit toothpaste was in the parents bag?
The question was for TSA employees. Are you one?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:43 pm

So, you want to know if any TSA employee has every let a potential explosive through security just because it was packed in a child's luggage?

Yeah, and if a TSO answered in the affirmative, then the next response from somebody would be, "Oh, so let's just dress Osama up like a 5 year old and give him a Sponge Bob backpack, he'll get right through the "security circus".

Ha, ha, ha....
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmspa
Yeah, and if a TSO answered in the affirmative, then the next response from somebody would be, "Oh, so let's just dress Osama up like a 5 year old and give him a Sponge Bob backpack, he'll get right through the "security circus".
Yep, I knew that was coming! Thanks for getting it off your chest. ^^^
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
So, you want to know if any TSA employee has every let a potential explosive through security just because it was packed in a child's luggage?

Ha, ha, ha....
Heh.

Given the fact that insurgents have started using mentally retarded individuals as human bombs in Afghanistan and Iraq I'm not surprised that the TSA hasnt been lenient on this... And no I'm not touching the whole politics behind that but I just wanted to mention its not as simple as the complainers and naysayers would like us to believe.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Oh, my! And exactly how many of these have you detected? And the next step is to throw the suspect material in the trash can? What a joke of an agency.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by vassilipan
Oh, my! And exactly how many of these have you detected? And the next step is to throw the suspect material in the trash can? What a joke of an agency.
Whats the point of this post besides to ..... about how you hate TSA?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:47 pm

I didn't answer your question, I asked you a question. Would you still ask the same question if the 'toothpaste' was in the parents bag?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Haveaniceday
I didn't answer your question, I asked you a question. Would you still ask the same question if the 'toothpaste' was in the parents bag?
Yes, because the whole toothpaste scare is beyond retarded.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes, because the whole toothpaste scare is beyond retarded.
The question is just to videomaker.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So, you want to know if any TSA employee has every let a potential explosive through security just because it was packed in a child's luggage? ...
Potential explosive?

Toothpaste is toothpaste. Shampoo is shampoo. Water is water.

Version 1.0 of the War on Liquids was due to the fear of binary explosives being mixed in flight...that threat was undermined by the facts, so now

Version 2.0 of the War on Liquids is due to the fear of pre-mixed binary explosives being brought on board...that threat has also been undermined by the facts, so now

how about we invest in existing technology to scan all containers for the presence of restricted chemicals, stop the War on Liquids, and return some sanity to the checkpoint?

By the way, if you want to find some real potential explosives, you might want to start looking inside cargo...but of course, Kippie doesn't think any cargo is dangerous, right...Trusted Shippers
Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
how about we invest in existing technology to scan all containers for the presence of restricted chemicals, stop the War on Liquids, and return some sanity to the checkpoint?

By the way, if you want to find some real potential explosives, you might want to start looking inside cargo...but of course, Kippie doesn't think any cargo is dangerous, right...Trusted Shippers
Got anything in mind for the scanning device? Hate to tell you this but short of taking samples of the item and running it through a device there is nothing out there capable of doing what you want with any sort of accuracy... Not that I test those sort of things for a living or anything ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.