Wiki Posts
Search

Terrified 2-year old at WTMD in LAS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:05 am
Suspended

(sigh)

The correct procedure is:

An adult is permitted to either carry infants or walk with the child through the WTMD. If it's a toddler, such as the case here, then the TSO should have permitted the parent to hold the toddler's hand and both pass through the WTMD together. The only catch here is that if the WTMD alarms, then both the adult and toddler must undergo secondary screening (after being given a second opportunity to clear the WTMD).

I think what happened in this case was that most TSOs want to isolate the cause of any alarms as much as possible. It's easier to do this when you know exactly who alarmed the WTMD. Still, the TSO in this case should have exercised discretion and allow the parent to walk through with the child.

Whenever I man the WTMD, I always leave it up to the parent. I ask them how they want to do it. I do this because the parent knows better than me if Little Johnny or Little Sally is going to take off on them (in either direction) if allowed to walk through alone. Otherwise, I play a game with the little 'uns by having them do the high-five drill (up high, on the side, down low----too slow). This distracts the child long enough for the parent to pass through and take it from there. Works like a charm every time and makes it a little more enjoyable for everyone concerned. Other times, I'll have the child stand in my place and motion the parent through the WTMD and then make a big deal that he's going to steal my job, he'd better get going before my boss decides to hire him in my place, etc. (depends on the age of the child). Point is that there's room for discretion and making it less terrifying for young children who don't understand why they have to pass through the WTMD.

Just to share some insight, usually, it's the opposite of what the OP reported. In many cases, it's the parent who insists that the child walk through alone even after I explain that they can come through together.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by birdstrike
At the risk of being accused by some posters here of giving ideas to the terrorists. @:-) Has no one though that explosives could have been surgically implanted in some orphan child?

Oh, wait!
It could also be the adult who is a suicidal terrorist who has explosives sewn inside him/her and is using the child as a diversion! The possibilities are endless!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:13 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Bart
(sigh)

An adult is permitted to either carry infants or walk with the child through the WTMD. If it's a toddler, such as the case here, then the TSO should have permitted the parent to hold the toddler's hand and both pass through the WTMD together. The only catch here is that if the WTMD alarms, then both the adult and toddler must undergo secondary screening (after being given a second opportunity to clear the WTMD).

I think what happened in this case was that most TSOs want to isolate the cause of any alarms as much as possible. It's easier to do this when you know exactly who alarmed the WTMD. Still, the TSO in this case should have exercised discretion and allow the parent to walk through with the child.

Whenever I man the WTMD, I always leave it up to the parent. I ask them how they want to do it. I do this because the parent knows better than me if Little Johnny or Little Sally is going to take off on them (in either direction) if allowed to walk through alone. Otherwise, I play a game with the little 'uns by having them do the high-five drill (up high, on the side, down low----too slow). This distracts the child long enough for the parent to pass through and take it from there. Works like a charm every time and makes it a little more enjoyable for everyone concerned. Other times, I'll have the child stand in my place and motion the parent through the WTMD and then make a big deal that he's going to steal my job, he'd better get going before my boss decides to hire him in my place, etc. (depends on the age of the child). Point is that there's room for discretion and making it less terrifying for young children who don't understand why they have to pass through the WTMD.

Just to share some insight, usually, it's the opposite of what the OP reported. In many cases, it's the parent who insists that the child walk through alone even after I explain that they can come through together.

So what happens when (I imagine this happens often) a toddler takes off running through the metal detector? I suppose the parent can't chase them. Can the TSO grab/pick up/handle the child? I would think not. As in the case of an adult, would they have to call local law enforcement to chase the kid down?

I'm genuinely curious since I can't see the logic for a toddler not being simply carried through. It can't be an argument of pure mass, since there are plenty of pax more massive than an adult+toddler are. Can metal not be detected if two beating hearts are going through the metal detector simultaneously?

This seems simply ridiculous.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
So what happens when (I imagine this happens often) a toddler takes off running through the metal detector?
I would tase them.

Oh wait, this is what I want to do to any children that annoy me. (Yeah, I don't plan on having kids.) I don't know why kid leashes went out of style - that makes sense to me. I want to put a Star Wars-style restraining bolt on them.

If all TSOs were the quality of Bart I think we'd have a lot less issues.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
My experience has been that the TSA clearly prefers children to walk through the metal detector alone, they will allow an adult to carry a child through if asked. I guess in the case of my youngest, it doesn't really matter since she has been on the list that causes 4 S's to print on her BP since she was a month old anyway. This means that she winds up getting a secondary anyway, although on one trip recently the TSO that was supposed to do the secondary on my daughter told my wife "we don't need to do a secondary on her".
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
There was no need for what happened to that toddler. The airport must seem like a big, scary place to begin with for them. There's lots of noise and sounds that probably frightens them. Mom and dad are trying to manage luggage, lines and a toddler that doesn't understand why he/she can't run down the long corridors. Just the fact that mom and dad seem aggravated already sets the tone, then you have some big, strange man/woman who says they can't stay with mom and dad.

Maybe, if parents prepared these toddlers ahead of time at home it would help. Tell the toddlers that they will have to go through the magic door in order to get on the airplane. Tell them the airplane is like flying like a big birdie that takes you to the magic vacation place. Make up some cute things like that so it's not so scary to them.

The TSA should have a training course on how to handle children. Some of these power hungry beasts have no idea how to treat small children and really don't care. They should give some kind of shiny sticker when the child gets to the other side. That would make it easier on everyone.

As much as I hate flying when there are screaming kids on a plane, I can understand how scary it must be to some of them. What happened to the days when the kids were sent to Grandma's when mom and dad had to fly somewhere? There is nothing worse than having to sit through a flight with a screaming, snotty nosed child who's parents don't care if their kid kicks seats and runs up and down the aisles. That says more about the parents than the child. If your kid can't or won't behave in public then leave them home. Parents can help matters by preparing the children before going to the airport.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:52 am
Suspended

So what happens when (I imagine this happens often) a toddler takes off running through the metal detector? I suppose the parent can't chase them. Can the TSO grab/pick up/handle the child? I would think not. As in the case of an adult, would they have to call local law enforcement to chase the kid down?

I'm genuinely curious since I can't see the logic for a toddler not being simply carried through. It can't be an argument of pure mass, since there are plenty of pax more massive than an adult+toddler are. Can metal not be detected if two beating hearts are going through the metal detector simultaneously?

This seems simply ridiculous.

peace,
~Ben~
Well, like I said, it's been my experience that more often than not, the parent insists that the child go through alone even when we tell them it's okay to hold the little tyke's hand and pass through together. However, there are lazy screeners who think they're saving time by having them pass through one at a time so that they screen only one rather than two.

As for kids who run past the WTMD, there's very little we can do. We are specifically prohibited from picking up kids or holding babies. However, I've seen it happen a couple of times to others at the WTMD, and I handled it by stepping in front of the kid and being very animated with large exaggerated gestures and a loud animated voice, "Hey there, partner! Where you going? How about your mom? Are you going to leave her there all alone?" This momentarily distracts the kid and one of two things happen: either the mom calls to the child and the child runs back to mom or the child is thrown off guard that he or she runs back to mom anyway. Never had one cry on me; always had the heartfelt thanks of the parent (usually a mom; seems that very few, if any, dads travel alone with kids----just an observation).
Old Nov 19, 2007, 7:50 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
The TSA should have a training course on how to handle children. Some of these power hungry beasts have no idea how to treat small children and really don't care. They should give some kind of shiny sticker when the child gets to the other side. That would make it easier on everyone.
Training is useless unless it is backed up by adequate supervision.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 8:08 am

Tell the Sheeple that they will have to go through the magic door in order to get on the airplane. Tell them the airplane is like flying like a big birdie that takes you to the magic vacation place. Make up some cute things like that so it's not so scary to them.
Sounds like a new TSA public service plan....
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
TSA would most likely follow its SOP and dump the terminal. Problem solved.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Maybe, if parents prepared these toddlers ahead of time at home it would help. Tell the toddlers that they will have to go through the magic door in order to get on the airplane. Tell them the airplane is like flying like a big birdie that takes you to the magic vacation place. Make up some cute things like that so it's not so scary to them.
I guess you've never had kids. You can tell them that all you want, but the only thing that makes it better is them growing up and experience in flying.

As much as I hate flying when there are screaming kids on a plane, I can understand how scary it must be to some of them. What happened to the days when the kids were sent to Grandma's when mom and dad had to fly somewhere? There is nothing worse than having to sit through a flight with a screaming, snotty nosed child who's parents don't care if their kid kicks seats and runs up and down the aisles. That says more about the parents than the child. If your kid can't or won't behave in public then leave them home. Parents can help matters by preparing the children before going to the airport.
Doesn't work when the whole reason they're on the plane is to see grandma (or in my case, my son's mom as she lives out of state). My son can be a lot of "fun" on the flight and I certainly do my best to keep him under control. And yes, there are a lot of times I wish I could have just sent him UPS.

I think a lot of the "solutions" nonparents come up with sound easy and wonder why parents just don't do them. Like real life, theory and practice are often two different things.

Not saying there aren't parents out there that don't care. However, a lot of nonparents have no clue what it's really like to travel with kids and have no clue how to really handle them. But they sure have no problem telling them how to do their job when they would take great offense if someone told them how to do theirs.

</endhijack>

Super
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:26 pm
Suspended

(sigh)

What you call correct procedure was never used with my son. He always had to walk on his own, even before he was two. At least one one occasion he was also wanded separately. I suppose normal rules don't apply if you are brown? Or do you guys make up rules as you go along?

Last edited by Yaatri; Nov 19, 2007 at 1:37 pm
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
(sigh)

From the OP:

Thank you for clarifying the correct procedure. The TSO appears to have violated procedure, since there was no way he was allowing that kid to go through alone.

It's nice that you play games with the kids, and I'm guessing that works with a lot of them. As for this one, you could have had Santa Claus waiting on the other side with a Tickle-Me-Elmo doll in one hand and a giant chocolate chip cookie in the other but there was no way that kid was going anywhere alone.

Mike
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yaatri
What you call correct procedure was never used with my son. He always had to walk on his own, even before he was two. At least one one occasion he was also wanded separately. I suppose normal rules don't apply if you are brown? Or do you guys make up rules as you go along?
If you read what I posted, I said that some screeners take the lazy way out thinking that they're speeding up the process. They figure that if only the adult or the child alarm the WTMD, then it's easier to hand wand one rather than two. With children, it's always contentious either way; best to have both come through at the same time UNLESS the parent insists otherwise.

If you really think you're being singled out because of skin color, then I strongly urge you to submit a complaint to the airline and your Congresscritter.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
When I have kids, I'm going to encourage their fear of the TSA, not allay it.

"These people are not here to help us, son. Evidence thus far is that they're here to inconvenience, harass, and disrespect us while failing in the fundamentals of their job."

Whenever the kid does something bad at home, I'll put on a burgundy vest before yelling at 'em.

Attica! Attica!

peace,
~Ben~

Last edited by seoulmanjr; Nov 20, 2007 at 8:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.