Terrified 2-year old at WTMD in LAS

Old Nov 15, 07, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Terrified 2-year old at WTMD in LAS

This one burned me up. The family ahead of me in line at LAS had a 2-year old that had to walk through the WTMD. The kid was obviously terrified and didn't want to let go of his father, but the TSO said he had to walk through alone. The TSO stood on the other side and encouraged the child to walk through, but seeing a stranger beckoning him forward didn't exactly make him feel better. He began clinging to the side of the WTMD which, of course, forced the TSO to send him out and start the process all over again. The whole process to get this poor kid through the WTMD held up the line for a good five minutes.

I'm not blaming the TSO for following the rules on this one, but the whole situation is ridiculous. I suppose that there is some rationale for making a scared child walk alone through the metal detector as opposed to, say, letting him hold his father's hand and then wanding them together if the metal detector goes off. I'm just not sure what it is.

Mike
Old Nov 15, 07, 3:19 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
That's fairly new because when we went to Vegas a few weeks ago, I carried Mr. Destructo (aka ToddlerJonesing) through the WTMD with narry a peep from the TSO other than to take his shoes off.
Old Nov 15, 07, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exaltation of form over substance at the Temple of Zealotry.

I expect no less.
Old Nov 15, 07, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
when travelling with our infant, i was actually told once to hold my daughter out in front of me so she passed through the WTMD first, then to pass through myself. it was classic when the TSO then asked me for my boarding pass, which i had to put in my pocket because both hands were occupied with holding my baby out in front of me (it seemed more expedient than arguing and/or opting for a secondary).
Old Nov 15, 07, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder if the TSAer found that amusing.
Old Nov 15, 07, 3:40 pm

Programs: GGL, Cats protection
Originally Posted by LessO2 View Post
Wonder if the TSAer found that amusing.
some young children dont have the concept of Object permanence, ie if you cant see it, then it doesnt exist anymore,
Old Nov 15, 07, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinkcat View Post
some young children dont have the concept of Object permanence, ie if you cant see it, then it doesnt exist anymore,
but once they start crying, it may be difficult to get them to stop, whether they remember why they started in the first place or not.
Old Nov 15, 07, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
but once they start crying, it may be difficult to get them to stop, whether they remember why they started in the first place or not.
It's a fine time as ever to explain the concepts of Good and Evil, since there are some excellent examples of Evil so conveniently located near the WTMD.
Old Nov 15, 07, 5:03 pm

Programs: GGL, Cats protection
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
been there!
Old Nov 16, 07, 1:04 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
but the TSO said he had to walk through alone.
Evil scum. Someone should call the local version of child protective services and report this monster.
Old Nov 16, 07, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA, SWA, HA, Qantas
Originally Posted by HeHateY View Post
Evil scum. Someone should call the local version of child protective services and report this monster.
From the angry icon at the end of your response, I take it you were serious with your comment. If not, disregard the following as I did not understand the sarcasm.

Is there a more common sense approach? Sure, let the parent carrying the child through. Then deal with any alarms or issues beyond if need be.

But... I don't think walking thru a WTMD is going to be high on CPS's list of must do things. I personally would rather CPS be working on cases involving child molestations, physical abuse, neglect, and the like.

Not a suggestion that makes people want to take those who oppose the current system of airport security seriously.
Old Nov 16, 07, 2:00 pm

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Growing Pains, or the Pains of Growing

Poor kid suddenly realized he would have to walk barefoot through that WTMD toward that unfriendly BP Checker Dragon every trip for the rest of his life. No wonder he's bawling, it's enough to make a grown man cry.
Old Nov 16, 07, 3:08 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by Flaflyer View Post
No wonder he's bawling, it's enough to make a grown man cry.

And woman.
Old Nov 16, 07, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the risk of being accused by some posters here of giving ideas to the terrorists. Has no one though that explosives could have been surgically implanted in some orphan child?

Oh, wait!
Old Nov 16, 07, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
No problems going thru with son in SLC, DCA, and BWI.

Search this Thread