Reasonable TSA employee!

Old Nov 14, 07, 7:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Western USA
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 113
Wink Reasonable TSA employee!

This afternoon, at a Central California airport that I'll not name to protect the innocent, I listened while a young TSA lady educated the gentleman behind me about his 1-gallon ziploc bag - and let him go through. She was nothing if not polite and reasonable (the bag was not bulging like my 1-quart one).

I related to her the story of a friend who recently got the "do you want to fly today?" treatment for having toiletries in a sandwich bag - which she thought was ridiculous. Her idea is that it is to be 1-quart or smaller.

Keep this employee - and for obvious reasons we'll keep her identity quiet!
LLUMom is offline  
Old Nov 14, 07, 7:54 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,285
Originally Posted by LLUMom View Post

Keep this employee - and for obvious reasons we'll keep her identity quiet!
After the TSA is destroyed, perhaps the private security firms that replace the TSA will hire her.
Spiff is offline  
Old Nov 15, 07, 12:14 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Department of Homeland Sincerity
Programs: WN Platinum
Posts: 12,073
Yes, I have run into some really nice ones, but they're the exception, rather than the rule.
UALOneKPlus is offline  
Old Nov 15, 07, 1:27 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern California
Programs: Starwood, HHonors
Posts: 92
There are some good, some bad. And some really bad.

You just have to roll with it, not everything is perfect. I'm sure everyone has stories of incompetence and stupidity in the workplace.
rightseat is offline  
Old Nov 15, 07, 1:28 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,715
OK so this forum is full of people talking about how terrible it is that TSA doesn't do things consistently and then when this lady doesn't follow procedure you praise it? I think the only non-consistent thing around here is the forum posters
thegeneral is offline  
Old Nov 15, 07, 1:57 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SNA
Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Posts: 25,229
Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
OK so this forum is full of people talking about how terrible it is that TSA doesn't do things consistently and then when this lady doesn't follow procedure you praise it? I think the only non-consistent thing around here is the forum posters
What we praise is her use of her god-given common sense, a rarity at TSA checkpoints. The only thing consistent about too many TSA agents is their fanatical enforcement of useless policies and procedures.
flyinbob is offline  
Old Nov 15, 07, 10:25 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,122
Originally Posted by flyinbob View Post
What we praise is her use of her god-given common sense, a rarity at TSA checkpoints. The only thing consistent about too many TSA agents is their fanatical enforcement of useless policies and procedures.
Agreed. She used her God-given brain to assess the "threat" and saw that it wasn't and let it pass. That's what SHOULD be done. At least it wasn't blind obedience to a stupid rule.

However, I'm sure the rule is there for stupid folks who think a sandwich bag is a threat but a quart sized bag isn't.
Superguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread