Reasonable TSA employee!

Old Nov 14, 07, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Wink Reasonable TSA employee!

This afternoon, at a Central California airport that I'll not name to protect the innocent, I listened while a young TSA lady educated the gentleman behind me about his 1-gallon ziploc bag - and let him go through. She was nothing if not polite and reasonable (the bag was not bulging like my 1-quart one).

I related to her the story of a friend who recently got the "do you want to fly today?" treatment for having toiletries in a sandwich bag - which she thought was ridiculous. Her idea is that it is to be 1-quart or smaller.

Keep this employee - and for obvious reasons we'll keep her identity quiet!
Old Nov 14, 07, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by LLUMom View Post

Keep this employee - and for obvious reasons we'll keep her identity quiet!
After the TSA is destroyed, perhaps the private security firms that replace the TSA will hire her.
Old Nov 15, 07, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Yes, I have run into some really nice ones, but they're the exception, rather than the rule.
Old Nov 15, 07, 1:27 am

Programs: Starwood, HHonors
There are some good, some bad. And some really bad.

You just have to roll with it, not everything is perfect. I'm sure everyone has stories of incompetence and stupidity in the workplace.
Old Nov 15, 07, 1:28 am
Suspended

OK so this forum is full of people talking about how terrible it is that TSA doesn't do things consistently and then when this lady doesn't follow procedure you praise it? I think the only non-consistent thing around here is the forum posters
Old Nov 15, 07, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
OK so this forum is full of people talking about how terrible it is that TSA doesn't do things consistently and then when this lady doesn't follow procedure you praise it? I think the only non-consistent thing around here is the forum posters
What we praise is her use of her god-given common sense, a rarity at TSA checkpoints. The only thing consistent about too many TSA agents is their fanatical enforcement of useless policies and procedures.
Old Nov 15, 07, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob View Post
What we praise is her use of her god-given common sense, a rarity at TSA checkpoints. The only thing consistent about too many TSA agents is their fanatical enforcement of useless policies and procedures.
Agreed. She used her God-given brain to assess the "threat" and saw that it wasn't and let it pass. That's what SHOULD be done. At least it wasn't blind obedience to a stupid rule.

However, I'm sure the rule is there for stupid folks who think a sandwich bag is a threat but a quart sized bag isn't.

Search this Thread