FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Reasonable TSA employee! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/757353-reasonable-tsa-employee.html)

LLUMom Nov 14, 2007 6:51 pm

Reasonable TSA employee!

This afternoon, at a Central California airport that I'll not name to protect the innocent, I listened while a young TSA lady educated the gentleman behind me about his 1-gallon ziploc bag - and let him go through. She was nothing if not polite and reasonable (the bag was not bulging like my 1-quart one).

I related to her the story of a friend who recently got the "do you want to fly today?" treatment for having toiletries in a sandwich bag - which she thought was ridiculous. Her idea is that it is to be 1-quart or smaller.

Keep this employee - and for obvious reasons we'll keep her identity quiet!

Spiff Nov 14, 2007 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by LLUMom (Post 8732124)

Keep this employee - and for obvious reasons we'll keep her identity quiet!

After the TSA is destroyed, perhaps the private security firms that replace the TSA will hire her.

UALOneKPlus Nov 14, 2007 11:14 pm

Yes, I have run into some really nice ones, but they're the exception, rather than the rule.

rightseat Nov 15, 2007 12:27 am

There are some good, some bad. And some really bad.

You just have to roll with it, not everything is perfect. I'm sure everyone has stories of incompetence and stupidity in the workplace.

thegeneral Nov 15, 2007 12:28 am

OK so this forum is full of people talking about how terrible it is that TSA doesn't do things consistently and then when this lady doesn't follow procedure you praise it? I think the only non-consistent thing around here is the forum posters :)

flyinbob Nov 15, 2007 12:57 am

Originally Posted by thegeneral (Post 8733263)
OK so this forum is full of people talking about how terrible it is that TSA doesn't do things consistently and then when this lady doesn't follow procedure you praise it? I think the only non-consistent thing around here is the forum posters :)

What we praise is her use of her god-given common sense, a rarity at TSA checkpoints. The only thing consistent about too many TSA agents is their fanatical enforcement of useless policies and procedures.

Superguy Nov 15, 2007 9:25 am

Originally Posted by flyinbob (Post 8733322)
What we praise is her use of her god-given common sense, a rarity at TSA checkpoints. The only thing consistent about too many TSA agents is their fanatical enforcement of useless policies and procedures.

Agreed. She used her God-given brain to assess the "threat" and saw that it wasn't and let it pass. That's what SHOULD be done. At least it wasn't blind obedience to a stupid rule.

However, I'm sure the rule is there for stupid folks who think a sandwich bag is a threat but a quart sized bag isn't. :rolleyes: