Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Here's why TSA ignores the airlines and customers....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here's why TSA ignores the airlines and customers....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Unless enough airports opt out ...

Perhaps Congress is unwilling to get rid of the TSA, but the airports could.
Sorry, but that's another fantasy. Why would the airlines want to assume the financial burden and liability that comes with airport security? Federalization was the best thing that ever happened to them. The airlines have a Whipping Boy that they can point fingers at and lay blame on.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: Continental, Delta, United
GA Security

[QUOTE=bocastephen;8714219]Exerting control over GA could be a significant tipping point - AOPA is strong, and smaller airports (including private ones) will likely work to make the TSA's life a living hell.

The proposed GA securit regs will require International flights arriving in the US informing Customs (CBP) of Passport info for crew and passengers. This is e-APIS. The airlines have been using APIS for years, and started E APIS about a year ago. TSA is not involved with this program.
AOPA, NBAA and several other aviation groups work closely with TSA in areas regarding GA security. The relationship is not the living hell you'd like to see. TSA does have several GA security programs,for example; flight students, Part 125 and 135 charter operators. TSA and general aviation have many similar interests and the relationship is not as contentious as you believe.
I am a private pilot and AOPA member.
X
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Bart
No offense intended; however, no matter who is voted into the Oval Office or who gains the majority in Congress, very little will change in airport security. The biggest challenge currently faced by TSA which Congress gives a damn about is cargo screening in terms of finding an effective way to do it. Right now, there are random inspections and validations of shipper ID, etc. but there is always room for improvement. The biggest bone of contention are those cargo items that are permitted aboard passenger aircraft. While you may argue the common sense position that if it goes aboard a passenger plane, then it ought to be screened; that argument will fall on deaf ears because the airlines have a vested and profitable interest with the status quo.

As for the rest of it, my friend, the ugly political reality is that besides some degree of inconvenience to you and other travelers, Congress is satisfied that it has successfully put a check in the box next to "improve post-9/11 airport security."

I'm not defending this; I'm just stating what I perceive to be a political reality.

All you can expect to see along the way are minor changes to procedures based on public input. But the basic procedure will remain the same. For those who think that Congress will suddenly mandate a return to private security screening, gimme some of what yer smokin'! Because that ain't gonna happen. It's not that I see this as a threat to my job. Hell, I could move on and do just about anything if I chose to. The reality is that once a government agency has been established, and once it has survived its infancy, it is here to stay.
I tend to agree. Both sides do the expedient thing and want to be seen Doing Something, but most of it is window dressing. They can't allocate the amount of money, time and effort it would take to really get the job done and many of the truly effective measures would be unpalatable to the American public. The fact is, to make true change in our culture more people are going to have to die.

On the other hand it makes sense from the airlines perspective to keep things at the status quo. They are seen Doing Something, can blame the TSA from a customer service angle if the customers get up in arms (hey, that's TSA, not us) and yet they have enough pull in Congress to make sure that few other things are implemented to further aggrieve the flying public.

All in all it's one giant game of craps. Both sides hope to keep rolling and not crap out.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by XGSC
...The proposed GA securit regs will require International flights arriving in the US informing Customs (CBP) of Passport info for crew and passengers. This is e-APIS. The airlines have been using APIS for years, and started E APIS about a year ago. TSA is not involved with this program.
AOPA, NBAA and several other aviation groups work closely with TSA in areas regarding GA security. The relationship is not the living hell you'd like to see. TSA does have several GA security programs,for example; flight students, Part 125 and 135 charter operators. TSA and general aviation have many similar interests and the relationship is not as contentious as you believe.
I am a private pilot and AOPA member.X
Well, I've communicated with plenty of people who take an opposite view, with the exception of Customs notification, which has always been a small part of private flying.

How would you feel if the TSA took the authority upon itself to clear you to fly your own aircraft, or ride on someone else's private aircraft? How about if they decided if you were able to fly or not - or had the authority to ground your aircraft if you declined to provide information you weren't comfortable releasing or subject yourself or your aircraft to intrusive inspections and checks or give them access to your aircraft outside your presence? What if the TSA banned GA from certain airports or airspace without appropriate cause, or decided certain classes of people could not pilot aircraft?

Still feeling the love?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sorry, but that's another fantasy. Why would the airlines want to assume the financial burden and liability that comes with airport security? Federalization was the best thing that ever happened to them. The airlines have a Whipping Boy that they can point fingers at and lay blame on.
Why did SFO do it? Why do you think airlines suffer the burden?

Security funding should be handled in a very simple matter - the security fee, like the ticket tax, should be added to a fund, from which grants are disbursed to airports on the basis of operational need. In addition, the FAA can authorize airports to make up funding shortfalls from PFC revenue as well as their normal grants from the Aviation Trust. This is the current revenue distribution model for all airport project work.

There is no burden to the airline at all.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
No offense intended; however, no matter who is voted into the Oval Office or who gains the majority in Congress, very little will change in airport security. The biggest challenge currently faced by TSA which Congress gives a damn about is cargo screening in terms of finding an effective way to do it. Right now, there are random inspections and validations of shipper ID, etc. but there is always room for improvement. The biggest bone of contention are those cargo items that are permitted aboard passenger aircraft. While you may argue the common sense position that if it goes aboard a passenger plane, then it ought to be screened; that argument will fall on deaf ears because the airlines have a vested and profitable interest with the status quo.

As for the rest of it, my friend, the ugly political reality is that besides some degree of inconvenience to you and other travelers, Congress is satisfied that it has successfully put a check in the box next to "improve post-9/11 airport security."

I'm not defending this; I'm just stating what I perceive to be a political reality.

All you can expect to see along the way are minor changes to procedures based on public input. But the basic procedure will remain the same. For those who think that Congress will suddenly mandate a return to private security screening, gimme some of what yer smokin'! Because that ain't gonna happen. It's not that I see this as a threat to my job. Hell, I could move on and do just about anything if I chose to. The reality is that once a government agency has been established, and once it has survived its infancy, it is here to stay.
Gotta agree with Bart here. It's nigh on impossible to kill a federal agency, especially one that was chartered in the name of "security". Politically, any member of Congress that attempts to dismantle it will be branded as "soft on security" or "anti-American". The bureaucrats running the agency know that, as do the various members of the Executive Branch. Ergo, they will do anything they can to paint the agency in a light that will cause it to be self-perpetuating.

One need only study a bit of history to see how the politics works. Witness, for example, the historical record of McCarthy's time in the Senate and his use of the bully pulpit against Truman.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:52 am
Suspended

Security funding should be handled in a very simple matter - the security fee, like the ticket tax, should be added to a fund, from which grants are disbursed to airports on the basis of operational need. In addition, the FAA can authorize airports to make up funding shortfalls from PFC revenue as well as their normal grants from the Aviation Trust. This is the current revenue distribution model for all airport project work.

SFO was one the original five airports Congress designated for the private security screening experiment. I think (and may be mistaken) that only a handful, and I'm talking about less than five, airports "opted" to go to private screening when they had the option to do so. And these were airports that TSA found financially expedient to go to private screening, and we're talking about one-horse airports, or in this case, one-airline airports with perhaps a morning flight or two and an evening flight or two.

You want to cling to the fantasy that Congress or the next President will somehow put an end to TSA.

Ain't gonna happen, pal.

Federal agencies are much more complicated than that. Has nothing to do with substance; has everything to do with the dynamics of bureaucracies; the politics of maintaining the status quo; and the convenience the airlines have, contrary to your view, that after having survived the financial troubles immediately after 9/11 (which, I contend, were already occurring even before the planes crashed into the towers) of choosing the path of least resistance and least liability.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:33 am

SFO was one the original five airports Congress designated for the private security screening experiment. I think (and may be mistaken) that only a handful, and I'm talking about less than five, airports "opted" to go to private screening when they had the option to do so. And these were airports that TSA found financially expedient to go to private screening, and we're talking about one-horse airports, or in this case, one-airline airports with perhaps a morning flight or two and an evening flight or two....
This is where the grassroots momentum will come from. If Congress refuses to respond to public demands to neuter or eliminate the TSA, the public (with guidance from those in the know) will turn their attention to putting pressure on airports - and the airports in turn will discover it's in their best interests to opt out.

That will put the airports on a collision course with Congress and draw a line in the sand - will Congress bar opt-outs and force the TSA on airports and travelers or use the stampede as an excuse to dismantle the agency...
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:35 am
Suspended

This is where the grassroots momentum will come from. If Congress refuses to respond to public demands to neuter or eliminate the TSA, the public (with guidance from those in the know) will turn their attention to putting pressure on airports - and the airports in turn will discover it's in their best interests to opt out.

That will put the airports on a collision course with Congress and draw a line in the sand - will Congress bar opt-outs and force the TSA on airports and travelers or use the stampede as an excuse to dismantle the agency...
Makes for a great remake of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington."
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:55 am

Well, I've communicated with plenty of people who take an opposite view, with the exception of Customs notification, which has always been a small part of private flying.

How would you feel if the TSA took the authority upon itself to clear you to fly your own aircraft, or ride on someone else's private aircraft? How about if they decided if you were able to fly or not - or had the authority to ground your aircraft if you declined to provide information you weren't comfortable releasing or subject yourself or your aircraft to intrusive inspections and checks or give them access to your aircraft outside your presence? What if the TSA banned GA from certain airports or airspace without appropriate cause, or decided certain classes of people could not pilot aircraft?

Still feeling the love?
I am asumming that you are referring to the Maryland Three? While TSA is enforcing certain flight restrictions, those airport restrictions come from another agency. I am not aware of TSa deciding that certain classes of people can not pilot aircraft. I am aware that persons who are not US citizens must obtain a security threat asessment before begininh training, but that is not what you said. And yes, I do feel the love!
X
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:13 pm

Sorry, I don't mean to be argumentative so soon after we just met. However, Congress created TSA, and the requirement that it screen at all commercial airports. Will Congress use the stampede to admit that it made a mistake? Well, they did repeal prohibition, but not right away. I don't remember another time they admitted they made a mistake.Congress put an opt out provision in the ATSA, after 3 years. The AAAE thought there would be a tremendous interest in opting out. I think only two airports filed to explore the option. Neither decided to opt out.The Port Authority of New York is (or was) involved in massive law suits involving screening on 9-11. Most airports don't want the liability. There is a modicum of logic in the Government saying it will only take the liability for screening if it does the screening. And for the record, the five airports that use private screening still have a TSA management structure. The private screeners report to TSA managers. Frankly, I'm not sure whose argument that last fact helps!
X
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:33 pm

I am asumming that you are referring to the Maryland Three? While TSA is enforcing certain flight restrictions, those airport restrictions come from another agency. I am not aware of TSa deciding that certain classes of people can not pilot aircraft. I am aware that persons who are not US citizens must obtain a security threat asessment before begininh training, but that is not what you said. And yes, I do feel the love!
X
Please read up on Federal Aviation Regulations 61.18 before you make such a statement. The Transportation Security Administration can direct the FAA to revoke ALL of my airman certificates at any time. And my appeal is to the very agency that directed the FAA to revoke my certificate. It has nothing to do with my safety record or violations of Federal Aviation regulations.

How would people feel if their driver's licenses (perhaps even commercial ones) were revoked by the Department of Motor Vehicles because "the TSA said so"?

This is my business that the TSA can decide to take away. I'll always have as much respect for the TSA and their regulations equal to what they show to my FAA earned airman certificates.

Oh, and by the way. Revoking my certificates certainly does not decrease my knowledge/skill level nor what I can teach others. It only means I cannot lawfully act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft.

61.18 Security disqualification.

(a) Eligibility standard. No person is eligible to hold a certificate, rating, or authorization issued under this part when the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has notified the FAA in writing that the person poses a security threat.

(b) Effect of the issuance by the TSA of an Initial Notification of Threat Assessment. (1) The FAA will hold in abeyance pending the outcome of the TSA's final threat assessment review an application for any certificate, rating, or authorization under this part by any person who has been issued an Initial Notification of Threat Assessment by the TSA.

(2) The FAA will suspend any certificate, rating, or authorization issued under this part after the TSA issues to the holder an Initial Notification of Threat Assessment.

(c) Effect of the issuance by the TSA of a Final Notification of Threat Assessment. (1) The FAA will deny an application for any certificate, rating, or authorization under this part to any person who has been issued a Final Notification of Threat Assessment.

(2) The FAA will revoke any certificate, rating, or authorization issued under this part after the TSA has issued to the holder a Final Notification of Threat Assessment.

[Doc. FAA–2003–14293, 68 FR 3774, Jan. 24, 2003]
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:33 pm

The airlines collect the Security fee and the passenger facilities charge. After 9-11, a large part of the security fees were NOT passed on to the Government. The airlines kept that money. But TSA did the screening. Until the reautherization bill of 2000, less than half the money collected in the aviation trust fund went to aviation. A big chunk supported AMTRAK. The problem is that nothing is simple in Washington. United and American were responsible for their security on 9-11, and both were sued. Even if they win, there is a PR cost and the lawyers fees. Trust me there is a burden to the airlines. By the way, in actual fact the security requirement lies with the AIRPORT. Many, if not most airports farmed out the security responsibilities as part of the lease agreements with the airlines. That's why the airlines had it. If screening is so lucrative or simple why have so many profit centered organisations tried to get rid of it? During the opt out days, several airport managers thought that TSA would give them big boxes of money to run security anyway they wanted. When it became clear that the boxes weren't so big, and there were lots of strings, none of the 429 commercial airports decided to opt out. If it was a great deal or even a moderate deal somebody would have tried it.

X
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:55 pm

...And for the record, the five airports that use private screening still have a TSA management structure. The private screeners report to TSA managers. Frankly, I'm not sure whose argument that last fact helps!
X
The significant difference is accountability. The private screeners don't 'report' to the TSA - they report to, and are managed by their employer. The FSD does set and enforce screening policies and procedures on behalf of the TSA. The

If screeners or the screening company become problematic for the airport, the airport can order the termination of a screener or not renew the contractors contract - adding a layer of accountability that is currently lacking. One problem at SFO is the airport director's lack of interest in removing screeners who are not delivering the level of customer service the airport should be demanding - which is very strange given the extensive competition SFO suffers from OAK and SJC, which are big catchment bleeds for them. Unhappy people will simply fly elsewhere.

As for Congress - they need to pass legislation which caps or removes liability in the event of a similiar event - IF the airport was compliant with screening standards which MUST include FULL CT/MRI scanning and sniffing of all loaded cargo and bags.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by knotyeagle
Please read up on Federal Aviation Regulations 61.18 before you make such a statement. The Transportation Security Administration can direct the FAA to revoke ALL of my airman certificates at any time. And my appeal is to the very agency that directed the FAA to revoke my certificate. It has nothing to do with my safety record or violations of Federal Aviation regulations.

How would people feel if their driver's licenses (perhaps even commercial ones) were revoked by the Department of Motor Vehicles because "the TSA said so"?

This is my business that the TSA can decide to take away. I'll always have as much respect for the TSA and their regulations equal to what they show to my FAA earned airman certificates.

Oh, and by the way. Revoking my certificates certainly does not decrease my knowledge/skill level nor what I can teach others. It only means I cannot lawfully act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft.

61.18 Security disqualification.

(a) Eligibility standard. No person is eligible to hold a certificate, rating, or authorization issued under this part when the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has notified the FAA in writing that the person poses a security threat.

(b) Effect of the issuance by the TSA of an Initial Notification of Threat Assessment. (1) The FAA will hold in abeyance pending the outcome of the TSA's final threat assessment review an application for any certificate, rating, or authorization under this part by any person who has been issued an Initial Notification of Threat Assessment by the TSA.

(2) The FAA will suspend any certificate, rating, or authorization issued under this part after the TSA issues to the holder an Initial Notification of Threat Assessment.

(c) Effect of the issuance by the TSA of a Final Notification of Threat Assessment. (1) The FAA will deny an application for any certificate, rating, or authorization under this part to any person who has been issued a Final Notification of Threat Assessment.

(2) The FAA will revoke any certificate, rating, or authorization issued under this part after the TSA has issued to the holder a Final Notification of Threat Assessment.

[Doc. FAA–2003–14293, 68 FR 3774, Jan. 24, 2003]
With all due respect councellor, you have not indicated a CLASS of person that TSA has said may not fly an airplane. The FAA will revoke the certificate of a person (not class of person) that is believed to be a threat, based on TSA's written notification. That is not what as said. To my knowledge FAA has not revoked any certificates under this rule.

And if I understand your implication, you believe that the rule is foolish because you could still pilot an aircraft and perform nefarious acts even though your certificate was in government hands? Surely you are not suggesting that it would be better to arrest prople on suspicion?

I still don't think that most General Aviation people want to make life a "living hell" for TSA. I never said there was perfect agreement, only that there was a reasonable dialogue.
X

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.