Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

JFK DL terminal 2 & 3 security breach tonight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK DL terminal 2 & 3 security breach tonight!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the article....

"He was going through the exit lane. That's going the wrong way," TSA spokesman Norm Brewer said.
Remember, we're paying $5.5 billion a year annually for this kind of cutting-edge analysis and observation.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Analise
Well since I was the one here affected (so far no other FTers have said a word), I will tell you that the TSA had no choice but to evacuate 2 and 3 because they let some idiot go through without security. It's a nice Monday morning quarterback response to say what should have been done but no one knew what this idiot was going to do or had on him. They had to evacuate. The anger in our plane (at least by those near me) was geared directly at the guy who snuck through and the idiot guards who didn't stop him. The captain kept us fully aware of what was happening which impressed us all. The Delta crew was terrific.
I disagree. Sometimes you just have to accept an extremely small increased risk. @:-)
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Well since I was the one here affected (so far no other FTers have said a word), I will tell you that the TSA had no choice but to evacuate 2 and 3 because they let some idiot go through without security. It's a nice Monday morning quarterback response to say what should have been done but no one knew what this idiot was going to do or had on him. They had to evacuate. The anger in our plane (at least by those near me) was geared directly at the guy who snuck through and the idiot guards who didn't stop him. The captain kept us fully aware of what was happening which impressed us all. The Delta crew was terrific.
Your anger is misplaced. The world is full of idiots. It is the TSA/DHS which has created the rules which allowed this situation to occur.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyingbrick
Your anger is misplaced. The world is full of idiots. It is the TSA/DHS which has created the rules which allowed this situation to occur.
My anger is misplaced? Cute coming from someone not affected by this idiot. Must be nice to be so high on that pedestal where you can see what is misplaced. That said, you're wrong. ^

Angry at the rules? Uhhh no. Try angry at the guy who thought the rules did not apply to him and angry at the guards who let him slip on by. You bet there was anger at those TSA agents for that screwup. We were stuck for over 2 hours. And my plane was heading off to Bombay which really screwed over the crew's schedule and the people who had to endure yet more than time on a plane.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Spiff
I disagree. Sometimes you just have to accept an extremely small increased risk. @:-)
That's your opinion. We simply disagree. Someone bypassing security is not something worth the risk. It just fired all of us up that the guards let this guy pass on by. However the law addresses this, I hope they go full force. And I hope that the TSA does more than simply reprimand the idiots who let this guy slip on by.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:13 pm

Firing-fest!!!! NOT. They'll just get promoted.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by HeHateY
A passenger who caused an evacuation at Kennedy International Airport has told law enforcers that he breached security after going outside to smoke and then misplacing his boarding pass.
Did they search him for contraband cigarette lighters or more than two books of matches? Yup, one very dangerous dude.

BTW, if its like any airport I've been in lately, while he was outside smoking he was probably hanging out with 3 or 4 TSA smokers on break. Conspiracy?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:22 pm

An evacuation was inappropriate.

Everyone should be mad at the people who ordered this unnecessary evacuation.
And the Monday morning quarterbacks are out in force to tell everyone how they would have done it if they were playing......

Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:46 pm

Thousands of Stupid Asshats.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Did they search him for contraband cigarette lighters or more than two books of matches? Yup, one very dangerous dude.
Never mind the straight razor in his carryon that was mentioned in the OP.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mmartin4600
Never mind the straight razor in his carryon that was mentioned in the OP.
Speaking of that, I love this gem from the article:
He had no weapons on him, but a straight razor was found in his carry-on luggage, said [Albany County Sheriff James] Campbell
It sounds as if he left his bag airside while he went for a smoke. Still, if that is the case the TSA missed the razor. That's okay -- they didn't report finding any water on the guy. Seriously, if they knew the person was already on his way to Albany why bother to evacuate the terminal?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Still, if that is the case the TSA missed the razor.
That's why I always assume the bad guys will be better armed than me. Of course in this instance, he would have been bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Trillions Squandered Already.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by law dawg
And the Monday morning quarterbacks are out in force to tell everyone how they would have done it if they were playing......

Indeed.

Why is it that one never hears of these stupid evacuations in any other country except the US?

When it happens internationally, it's a very big thing and there is accountability, something that's not at all present at US airports.

So, yes, I'll be continuing to call the plays both before and after the fact, thanks very much.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:33 pm

Indeed.

Why is it that one never hears of these stupid evacuations in any other country except the US?

When it happens internationally, it's a very big thing and there is accountability, something that's not at all present at US airports.

So, yes, I'll be continuing to call the plays both before and after the fact, thanks very much.
So, if someone does breach security, your idea is to do....what, exactly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.