Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA May Give Certain Passport Holders Extra Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA May Give Certain Passport Holders Extra Screening

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
A couple of comments make me wonder, does the TSA have the right to flip past your passports identification page without your consent?
There is a TSA screener at Fort Lauderdale (FLL) Terminal 1 who thinks he can. He'll also ask why you are going to Tulsa, where you live, and are you going to Tulsa for business or pleasure. Next time they ask you those questions ask them where they live before you answer.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by knotyeagle
On Tuesday at about 0600, your TSO brethren at Fort Lauderdale (FLL) also were checking the pages of the my US passport to find out what my foreign itinerary has been. Or was that so they could look for prohibited items between the travel pages?...
Why show them a passport? It's just giving them ammunition to frustrate you. Show them a DL or some other plain ID card - where you're going, been, doing, seeing, etc. is none of their business.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by knotyeagle
There is a TSA screener at Fort Lauderdale (FLL) Terminal 1 who thinks he can. He'll also ask why you are going to Tulsa, where you live, and are you going to Tulsa for business or pleasure. Next time they ask you those questions ask them where they live before you answer.
Is it the older short, balding fat guy who is often standing in front of the screening area glaring at people?

Next time...just say 'none of your business' and be done with it...if they escalate, call the GSC for your airline.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why show them a passport? It's just giving them ammunition to frustrate you. Show them a DL or some other plain ID card - where you're going, been, doing, seeing, etc. is none of their business.
Because at BWI, I had a TSA ID checker look at the address, ask me about the neighborhood I live in ('Oh, is that a great zip code to live in, are you in xxx neighborhood), wasn't I glad to be going home, etc, etc. I glared at that person and said "my ID is valid, and the name matches the boarding pass, now please let me go".

And there are some situations where they want to write down info from your ID - the less info they have to write down, the better. And your passport doesn't contain home address info.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
A couple of comments make me wonder, does the TSA have the right to flip past your passports identification page without your consent?
Try making it less easy for them to do so. Paper clip or better yet staple the passport pages to the cover opposite the one with the photo. Then they'll have to remove the paper clips / staples making it all the more obvious that they're nosing into your business. Then you call the supe and ask if they're allowed to do that.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
if this list exists in the name of security, shouldn't they, like, not tape it to their stands for all the world to see? geez...

Anyone up for trying to put together the full list? from this thread so far:

1 Egypt
2 Yemen
3 Iran
4 Iraq
5 Turkey
6 North Korea
7 India (?)
8 Afghanistan
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
if this list exists in the name of security, shouldn't they, like, not tape it to their stands for all the world to see? geez...

Anyone up for trying to put together the full list? from this thread so far:

1 Egypt
2 Yemen
3 Iran
4 Iraq
5 Turkey
6 North Korea
7 India (?)
8 Afghanistan
The Principality of Sealand
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by PaulKarl
The mind boggles at an ignorance so vast that it can't differentiate between Israel and Yemen. And we're supposed to trust these people's judgment . . . .
Well they both have "e"s and only 3 vowels in the names...clearly some kind threat!

("and sometimes 'y'")
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by Bart
We've just started manning the checkpoint entrance scanning IDs and BPs this week. I welcome your comments because it allows me to focus my training accordingly. You're right: a valid US passport meets the standard. And I'm not trying to excuse any deviation from that, I just think that handling DLs are so much easier that TSOs/ID checkers tend to "default" to what's ostensibly a more common form of ID. Shouldn't happen but it does. My challenge as a trainer is to make TSOs comfortable with any form of government ID.
Would that also include government agency IDs that don't bear expiry dates? Many agency employees and/or contractors here have been hassled because our govvie-issued ID lacks an expiration date like milk.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:28 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Bart
We've just started manning the checkpoint entrance scanning IDs and BPs this week. I welcome your comments because it allows me to focus my training accordingly. You're right: a valid US passport meets the standard. And I'm not trying to excuse any deviation from that, I just think that handling DLs are so much easier that TSOs/ID checkers tend to "default" to what's ostensibly a more common form of ID. Shouldn't happen but it does. My challenge as a trainer is to make TSOs comfortable with any form of government ID.
Bart, my Puerto Rican voter registration card has my name and photograph, and is a digital card akin to most US drivers licenses.

It has no expiration date.

Would you allow me to board a plane with it?

Please respond with a yes or no
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
We were delayed several minutes in MDW because a TSA ID checker who appeared not to have too many bulbs burning couldn't figure out what to do with a woman's passport. He was looking through it apparently trying to understand some of the stamps, ID checker next to him couldn't answer his questions, he finally hauled the woman off to a 3rd person and after wasting further time she was allowed through.

I couldn't quite hear the conversation or read the nationality on the passport, slight purplish color, woman appear perhaps mideastern, fairly light complexion.

Mission creep is hard at work.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:12 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
I'm one for four in having TSA flip through my passport. I use my passport because it is easier for me to use than getting out my DL and explaining that the renewal sticker is valid ("This is expired." "No, look at the sticker." "That's not real." SIGH Funny, I can rent cars with the DL without question.)

I was going to jump up and down when the TSA ID checker flipped through my passport (I have erased my penciled in home address since that happened). Next time I demand the supervisor.

Wonder if the next step for TSA is to hold up your DL and look for staple holes (an old LEO technique to get a sense of many tickets the person has had -- the staples mean that the DL was surrendered as bond on a traffic ticket and stapled to the ticket for the court) and then ask you how many times you've been arrested.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
I've never seen a North Korean passport, but I assume a north korean passport probably wouldn't say North Korea on it, it would be something like Democratic People's Republic of Korea Passport. Like how South Korea's passport says Republic of Korea Passport on it. TSA checker probably wouldn't even know the difference. Even if they did, It goes back to ID checks don't mean squat for security.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
We were delayed several minutes in MDW because a TSA ID checker who appeared not to have too many bulbs burning couldn't figure out what to do with a woman's passport. He was looking through it apparently trying to understand some of the stamps, ID checker next to him couldn't answer his questions, he finally hauled the woman off to a 3rd person and after wasting further time she was allowed through.
Probably could not read.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:16 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Doppy
The 9/11 hijackers carried ID cards that were issued in the US.
Yes, 18 of the 19 had DLs, according to the 9/11 Commission report.

Here are some of the known IDs held by the hijackers:

AA 11
Abdul Aziz Al Omari -- VA ID

AA 77
Hani Hanjour -- FAA-issued commercial pilot's license; VA ID
Nawaf al Hazmi -- obtained SS# and CA DL w/assistance from Mohdar Abdullah
Khalid al Mihdhar -- obtained SS# and CA DL w/assistance from Mohdar Abdullah
Salem Al Hazmi -- VA ID
Majed Moqed
-- VA ID

UA 93
Ziad al-Jarrah -- FAA-issued commerical pilot's license.

UA 175
Marwan AL-Shehhi -- FAA-issued pilot's license.
Saleh Al Ghamdi -- VA ID

Updates to come ...

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 23, 2007 at 1:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.