TSA May Give Certain Passport Holders Extra Screening

Old Oct 19, 07, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Thumbs down TSA May Give Certain Passport Holders Extra Screening

I was flying CLE-BWI yesterday on WN (stupid corporate travel dept...)

I am a dual US/Israeli citizen. When I fly domestically I usually use my Israeli passport because I prefer not to give the TSA any document that I truly need (DL or US passport) and I donít think they need all of that information anyway.

I gave the TSA screener my BP and my passport. She looked at it and said out loud "Isreeeel? I wonder if this is on our list..." She then pulled a paper card, about 2" x 3.5", from her breast pocket. On the card I could see a handwritten list of about 15 countries. They included Egypt, India (I think), Yemen, Turkey, Iran, and a few others that I could not make out. The then made a mark on my BP, put it the card back in her pocket, and gave my BP back to me. I then asked her, what kind of list is that. Mata Hari replied "Itís our list. Have a good flight." She quickly tucked the list back into her pocket.

I was not SSSSd nor did I receive ant additional screening.

As I left screening I told a supervisor about the incident and asked if there was a problem with travelling on an Israeli passport (a question to which I knew the answer to). He replied, "not at all, there is no list. have a safe flight."

Well, I saw the list with my own eyes and the ID checker called it a list. But since the government supervisor says there is no list, I am clearly mistaken or was on a hallucinogenic drug at the time. There is no list. Disregard this post. Retraining complete.
Old Oct 19, 07, 9:08 am

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
I had to pull my Israeli passport out of my "getaway bag" last year while my US passport was being renewed. I got a little extra scrutiny, mostly a lot of "Israel? Were you in the army?" but no secret squirrel treatment.
Old Oct 19, 07, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Government checking of free person's names and nationality on documents during domestic travel is yet another reason why this "ID as security" nonsense needs to come to an end.
Old Oct 19, 07, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
In Memphis the TSA does the ID checking (at least in the "C" terminal) and she had a printed list out for display on her little podium with a list of countries that I read but didn't take too much notice but included Afghanistan, Iran, Egypt, Iraq and a number of others.

E

Last edited by erenner; Oct 19, 07 at 1:12 pm Reason: spelling :(
Old Oct 19, 07, 1:12 pm

The mind boggles at an ignorance so vast that it can't differentiate between Israel and Yemen. And we're supposed to trust these people's judgment . . . .
Old Oct 19, 07, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by erenner View Post
In Memphis the TSA does the ID checking (at least in the "C" terminal) and she had a printed list out for display on her little podium with a list of countries that I read but didn't take too much notice but included Afghanistan, Iran, Egypt, Iraq and a number of others.

E
If that list is meant to result in haraSSSSment treatment, that is an indication of discrimination based on national origin. I hope someone fights it out in the courts then. If this is done to an American showing their valid foreign passport, that will make it all the more interesting.
Old Oct 19, 07, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL PLT 2MM, AA EXPLT 3MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Government checking of free person's names and nationality on documents during domestic travel is yet another reason why this "ID as security" nonsense needs to come to an end.
And al Qaeda thanks you.
Old Oct 19, 07, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by sd9121 View Post
And al Qaeda thanks you.
Are you admitting something about yourself?

They probably would thank apologists for domestic ID checks, and they would probably thank them for helping to distract security resources away from the basics with which the TSA struggles (i.e., prohibited blades, guns and explosives).

The 9/11 hijackers -- Al-Qaeda that is for you -- were mostly in possession of valid government issued ID, ID issued by (domestic) government agencies in the United States in most cases whether they used it that day or not. Even if foreign passports were an invitation to additional screening for contraband on 9/11, there's still the issue that dual-use items such as the box cutters alleged to have been used were actually permitted past the security checkpoint under the restrictions then in place.

ID is not security.
Old Oct 19, 07, 6:57 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by PaulKarl View Post
The mind boggles at an ignorance so vast that it can't differentiate between Israel and Yemen. And we're supposed to trust these people's judgment . . . .
Heaven help those who present a Massachusetts ID!
Old Oct 19, 07, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
There is no list, comrade. Move along.
Old Oct 19, 07, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TSA ID checker's podium at ORD terminal 1 in the left side premier line has this list of countries taped to it. The version I saw last week had about 10 countries...the ones I remember were NOrth Korea, Iraq, Iran, and others that I don't remember.
Old Oct 19, 07, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The 9/11 hijackers -- Al-Qaeda that is for you -- were mostly in possession of valid government issued ID, ID issued by (domestic) government agencies in the United States in most cases whether they used it that day or not. Even if foreign passports were an invitation to additional screening for contraband on 9/11, there's still the issue that dual-use items such as the box cutters alleged to have been used were actually permitted past the security checkpoint under the restrictions then in place.

ID is not security.
Couldn't have put it better myself. This whole scenarios begs one question in my mind: why can't they memorize a list of 10-15 countries? It just makes me wonder if these screeners could catch more contraband if they knew what wasn't supposed to be let on a plane.
Old Oct 20, 07, 1:08 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
The TSA ID checker's podium at ORD terminal 1 in the left side premier line has this list of countries taped to it. The version I saw last week had about 10 countries...the ones I remember were NOrth Korea, Iraq, Iran, and others that I don't remember.
Hmm. And how many passengers at ORD are travelling on North Korean passports?
Old Oct 20, 07, 10:55 am

A total of 17 countries are on the lsit. Not one liberal democracy is listed. However, 13 are Islamic nations. Imagine that, how dare they list Islmaic nations on that list, with Islam being a religion of peace and all...........I still believe that Dutch Orthodox Christians piloted those jets on 9/11/01.
Hatred of Islam and muslims doesn't get in the way of posts like the above.
Old Oct 20, 07, 10:59 am

So al Qaeda was not involved in 9/11? Explain yourself, please. What information do you have about this event?
The only one in this thread who has mentioned that "al Qaeda was not involved in 9/11" is you. What information do you have about this event?

North Koreans, Iraqis, Iranians and nationals of most of the countries mentioned on the aforementioned lists did not attack the US on 9/11. So why harass their nationals, some of whom are Americans? Is it because racist profiling makes some people feel good and they want more of it? Definitely; still stupid.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 20, 07 at 11:05 am

Search this Thread