Original Poster

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Inside a suspicious package

Or, how to dump a terminal
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1833
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
disgusting.... that's all I can say. I hope someone was fired for this charade.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Thumbs down What's Wrong With This Picture?

The government has entrusted our safety to these cretins!
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by cj001f
Or, how to dump a terminal
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1833
LOL!

I don't have enough gear to mandate checking any of it (which is fortunate, since I know people who've had photo gear worth thousands of dollars stolen from their checked luggage), but boy, do I know the words "bag check!"

I hear it every time I fly, dragging along a laptop, DSLR, 4 lenses, inkjet, wireless router, voltage converter, and all the cables...
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
If you're checking a bag with contents like that, wouldn't it be sensible to wait until it's been screened before you leave the area, in case they want to search it?
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antirealist
If you're checking a bag with contents like that, wouldn't it be sensible to wait until it's been screened before you leave the area, in case they want to search it?
You should wait for, if nothing else, to make sure they don't steal from your bag.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 2:09 pm

Yes, you should. But many are not that travel savvy. In those airports where you can view the screening of your checked bags, I have found the TSO's telling pax that as long as their bag is not locked they can leave. I will stand there, but I never see anyone else do the same. In fact, while I am standing there, I have had TSO's tell me a number of times that I should go ahead and leave.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Yes, you should. But many are not that travel savvy.
In the article she says she's a frequent flyer. If she took that bag as a carry on it would obviously be hand searched - what did she think would happen when she checked it?

Closing down the airport is clearly an over-reaction, but people who travel with this sort of equipment in their checked baggage need to take some responsibility for getting it through security. She could have prevented this incident if she'd used some common sense.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
disgusting.... that's all I can say. I hope someone was fired for this charade.
Who would you like to fire.

TSA followed a SOP nothing more.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 4:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
what did she think would happen when she checked it?
Since she likely checked it on the way out, as well as numerous other times, quite likely nothing
Old Oct 13, 2007, 5:02 pm

In the article she says she's a frequent flyer. If she took that bag as a carry on it would obviously be hand searched - what did she think would happen when she checked it?

Closing down the airport is clearly an over-reaction, but people who travel with this sort of equipment in their checked baggage need to take some responsibility for getting it through security. She could have prevented this incident if she'd used some common sense.
How do you take responsibility at those airports where the baggage check is behind the door so you can't see it happen? She already hand carries a bag that contains her cameras; this is her auxiliary equipment, which is probably too much to take as a carry-on. Based on her story, she is not at fault in the least. This rests on the TSA.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
At EWR, before they moved most screening out of the public part of the terminal, when I tried to watch I was threatened with arrest for loitering. The TSA was always very nervous about people watching. Now they defile the bags in secret.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by rebadc

"I was only following orders." - Adolf Eichmann
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

SOP = Stupid Operating Procedure.

The chances of there being a bomb in a bag in an airport in Arkansas (or anywhere else, for that matter) is asymptotally close to zero. If the passenger who owns the bag can be found and can explain what the TSA sees then no terminal dump is necessary. This was a checked bag. There was no terminal dump necessary. The passenger had no access to the bag until its retrieval her destination.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:51 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

All 43,000 TSA employees + their jackass bosses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.