Wiki Posts
Search

Cottage Cheese - Not at THIS airport!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Cottage Cheese - Not at THIS airport!

I travel every week for work, and in an effort to avoid eating at the same fast food places all the time, I pack a lunch. I usually take a bunch of chicken breasts, some frozen vegetables, microwaveable rice and the little snack-sized cottage cheese containers (4 oz size). I typically fly out of PIT and never have a problem with any of my items. I did have the standard "ice is not a liquid" argument, but the frozen veggies do well enough to keep my food cold, and I can always load up on "secure" ice once I'm airside.

Today I flew out of CMH and was expecting a pretty standard screening - maybe they'll peek inside and see what I've got but nothing is a liquid, there's no ice, so there should be no problem.

TSO on the x-ray asks me if the lunch pail was mine and I answer yes and then he asks if there's just food in there and again, I say yes. He then opens it up and says "Well you're NOT going to be happy." His tone was really quite rude, however I tried to maintain some sense of civility and he inspected and shook up my cottage cheese snacks. He then says, "You can't take the cottage cheese." To which I promptly respond in a somewhat annoyed tone, "Why not? It's not a liquid and I take it with me every week without any problems. I don't see what the issue is."

Here's the kicker - he responds somewhat astonished, "Every week?! Not at THIS airport." At this point I've pretty much run of out patience and I curtly responded, "What airport I take it through is entirely irrelevant. The are standards for what can and cannot be taken aboard an aircraft and this does not violate any of the published standards. I'd like to speak to someone in charge."

We meander over to the end of the lanes to some kind of TSA station where another TSO inspects and shakes the hell out of my cottage cheese and then looks at me, and in a tone like she was giving me a reprieve from a death sentence, says "I'll allow it." You'll allow what, exactly? Me to take something that isn't contraband and/or dangerous? Out of the goodness of your heart? Gee, thanks. It really wasn't a big deal and I guarantee it would have been less of a process had I been nicer, but no one wants to deal with attitude at 5am.

to TSOs who are rude and to idiotic liquid policies that are somehow now extended to non liquids at will.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I hate it when the TSA folk act like they are doing you a huge favor. It is insane!

I've been carrying cottage cheese for months with no problems at all.

I am also driving more and flying less. Much less.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
You complain about attitude, yet it's the first thing you give?

If the guy was really being a jerk, he could have taken it to prove a point. (Cottage cheese, yogurt and hummus are items I've seen removed at checkpoints)

We all know that there are tons of inconsistencies in the system.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget

If the guy was really being a jerk, he could have taken it to prove a point. (Cottage cheese, yogurt and hummus are items I've seen removed at checkpoints)

Oh I waited to see how ridiculous it was going to get, and considering it went from zero to him being a jackass in a few sentences, I waited long enough.

And - he could have taken it to "prove a point?" What point, exactly? That the rules are applied at one's discretion?
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)

To be fair, the restrictions apply to liquids, pastes and gels; if it was just liquids then toothpaste wouldn't have to go in the baggie. Some cottage cheese is pretty soft and would certainly fit the "paste" category in my view. Yoghurt is clearly one or other of the above, so I'm surprised if any of that is getting let through.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Here's the kicker - he responds somewhat astonished, "Every week?! Not at THIS airport." At this point I've pretty much run of out patience and I curtly responded, "What airport I take it through is entirely irrelevant.
You missed a golden opportunity. You should have said "Yes, every week, at this airport, and this is the first time you've found it. So much for this joke you call security."
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Oh I waited to see how ridiculous it was going to get, and considering it went from zero to him being a jackass in a few sentences, I waited long enough.

And - he could have taken it to "prove a point?" What point, exactly? That the rules are applied at one's discretion?
To prove the point he could take it, using discretion. The rule is pretty vague and I've seen these items taken before.

At 5 in the morning, I'm not in the best mood either, but you have to cut them some slack. They work for some of the worst managers in the Government.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:55 am

what's up with CMH? based on my experience and other posters here in other threads ,they seem pretty extreme.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLflying
what's up with CMH? based on my experience and other posters here in other threads ,they seem pretty extreme.
I don't know - this is the first time I've flown out of there since 1997. I'm hoping that I don't have to do it very often.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you know, hummus is Middle Eastern in origin. Must be dangerous.

Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PHLflying
CMH is a PITA. i think it's a "big city wannabe" mentality. we almost always have issues with baby's applesauce, juice, etc there, but never ATL, ORD, SFO...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:49 am

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent

As much as I like to give screeners the benefit of the doubt for incoherant rules, and incomplete training, you just admitted to doing retaliatory confiscation.

Bro' you just proved many posters points.

Last edited by laguardiaguy; Sep 25, 2007 at 11:54 am Reason: change inconsistant to incoherant for clarity
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
CMH is a PITA.
Well THAT explains it - everyone knows Hummus goes with Pita...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:53 am

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
CMH is a PITA. i think it's a "big city wannabe" mentality. we almost always have issues with baby's applesauce, juice, etc there, but never ATL, ORD, SFO...
I'm not sure about a big city wannabe mentality, but I take it as a given the smaller the airport, the longer and more nitpicking the security screening
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by laguardiaguy
As much as I like to give screeners the benefit of the doubt for incoherant rules, and incomplete training, you just admitted to doing retaliatory confiscation.
Like retaliatory secondary screenings, there's no such thing as retaliatory confiscation. Only continuous confiscations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.