Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Today, I realized just how ridiculous the baggie is..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today, I realized just how ridiculous the baggie is..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:20 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
An HONEST TSA agent!!!!

This morning at IAD I (per usual) left my KHIAI bag in my carryon. After scanning and 'BAG CHECK' a refreshingly blunt TSA agent came over and asked me to pull oout my KAIAIbag. I pulled it out and said, "Here is my Kip Hawley is an idiot bag." and he chuckled and said, "I know it's a stupid rule but please remember to pull your baggie out every time..." ^
Old Aug 11, 2007, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by jib71
Maybe it's just because someone in the TSA figured that people like to keep all their toiletries together in a bag.

And maybe they thought that the baggie rule would be easier for arithmetically challenged TSA staff and passengers. (Imagine some of the people you meet in airports trying to work out if six 1.5oz bottles is equivalent to three 3oz bottles).

BTW - More than three 3oz bottles fit into the standard sized baggie.
The answer is obvious:

a) they had to come up with a simple rule their simple employees could follow and

b) they needed to see just how ridiculous they could make a rule and still get people to follow it
Old Aug 11, 2007, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My personal favorite was the day I had legit sized shaving cream and toothpaste, but no baggie. At one point on a previous trip my baggie ripped and I hadn't bother replacing it since I only had two things that went into the baggie, and both were obviously small and I didn't see the need to waste time tracking down another baggie.

Imagine my disappointment when the TSA agent confiscated my toiletries because they weren't in a bag It was all that much more annoying since I'd been traveling that way for a few weeks and no one else cared at all. ^to random policies and enforcement.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by polonius
The answer is obvious:

a) they had to come up with a simple rule their simple employees could follow and

b) they needed to see just how ridiculous they could make a rule and still get people to follow it
So there are two objectives in every TSA rule: (1) safety & administrative feasibility and (2) fun ?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
My personal favorite was the day I had legit sized shaving cream and toothpaste, but no baggie.
Hrm, has anyone tried taking a single item through, with no bag? Like if you had a legit-sized toothpaste, but no bag, would they seize it?

I also kind of wonder what would happen if someone stuffed a legit-sized Ziploc with legit-sized bottles, all of the same type. Like if you stuffed it full of 3-ounce bottles of mouthwash, and had half a dozen or so in there, would TSA let you through? Or would they flip out and confiscate it?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by polonius
The answer is obvious:

That explains the 100 ml/item rule, as opposed to one baggie regardless of contents.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:26 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I can't wait for Kip to approve FlyClear so that we can pay $99/yr and not have to remove our shoes, laptop, or baggie!
You are willing to pay $99 for something that was a norm a few years ago?

Kippie has done a great marketing job I'd say.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:30 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Rabidstoat
Hrm, has anyone tried taking a single item through, with no bag? Like if you had a legit-sized toothpaste, but no bag, would they seize it?
I've seen people upset because they lost the item to TSA.. simply because
it was not in a kip bag.

No matter how you try to explain, the bag does not limit the amount of
liquid you can bring into the secure area. They do not have a way to track
how many times you pass through the screening area... and there is
nothing preventing you from making multiple trips and carry more liquid.

No matter how you look at it, these rules are useless and waste of the
tax money.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I've lost items (under 100mls) even when in the baggy - I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:28 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mikeon
...It's pretty obvious when someone has liquids that will clearly fit into a quart size bag but it's all "Oh no, you MUST have a baggie! Even if you just have that 3 ounce bottle with you and there's nothing else in your carryon. You MUST have a baggie!"
This is completely true - as in the time when TSA at PIT would not let me take my Mont Blanc inkwell becuase it was not in a baggie. I had no other liquids/gels/WMD with me - and the bottle of ink was clearly labelled as 50 ml - the screener tried to tell me to throw it away when I told him, quite rudely, that it was worth more than he made in an hour

Of course, I couldn't take it through - had to walk back and leave it in my car.

Travesty!
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I can't wait for Kip to approve FlyClear so that we can pay $99/yr and not have to remove our shoes, laptop, or baggie!
Kippie isn't your friend. You can pay $99 today. What it buys you is entry to the front of the line, to the glares of the sheeple stuck in the queue. You still have to use the baggie, remove shoes, laptop and everything else. You still have to show conventional ID, despite carrying superior biometric credentials.

Skeletor and Kippie would laugh, if they were not flying on private aircraft.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services; UA/1K (since 1991); Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by birdstrike

They are not flying on private aircraft. They are flying on Gulfstreams paid for by you and me. And, they are completely out of touch regarding the effects of their stupid rules on us because they don't comply with the rules!! Even if they fly commercial (and Kippie might, Skeletor does not) they bypass security. Kippie can take whatever he damn well pleases because he's superior to all of us.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Kippie isn't your friend. You can pay $99 today. What it buys you is entry to the front of the line, to the glares of the sheeple stuck in the queue. You still have to use the baggie, remove shoes, laptop and everything else. You still have to show conventional ID, despite carrying superior biometric credentials.

That explains the guy I saw at BOS being "guided" to the front of the queue - I thought he was late for his flight, but on the other side he was standing around waiting for one that wasn't boarding yet.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by DC-COFlyer
They are not flying on private aircraft. They are flying on Gulfstreams paid for by you and me. And, they are completely out of touch regarding the effects of their stupid rules on us because they don't comply with the rules!! Even if they fly commercial (and Kippie might, Skeletor does not) they bypass security. Kippie can take whatever he damn well pleases because he's superior to all of us.
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." Squealer, Animal Farm, by George Orwell, 1945. How prescient was Mr. Orwell! This is the worst effect of 9/11 and terrorist attacks - the overreaction of our government and its curtailment of Americans' liberty, and for what? Removing shoes at checkpoints, relying on "Freedom Baggies", shutting down terminals because a bottle of water made it through a checkpoint. The Islamowacko terrorists have basically won.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
"the overreaction of our government and its curtailment of Americans' liberty
Apologies in advance to moderators, but I cannot resist

"Over-reaction" or "deliberate, calculated move"?

You decide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.