Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK to get highly personal data on Brits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:15 am
Original Poster

UK to get highly personal data on Brits

Nope not a misprint, the UK is joining the "Coalition of the W*nk*rs" with a new border control scheme which will require airlines & ferry companies to submit up to 50 items of data on each passenger between 24 and 48 hours before departure to AND from the UK.

Grauniad
Times

Wonder how they are going to handle crossing the land border between Northern Ireland & the Republic of Ireland - or people going to/from the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man or people who just decide to get a ferry to France to pick up some booze?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Amazing. Notice how spin continues even after the spinmeister has gone? They're dressing it up as a measure to achieve payment of unpaid fines and to catch resident non-resident tax evaders. So that's all right then.

I just read the Garudian, couldn't stomach the Daily Murdoch.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
theres a good size thread on the same subject over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716892
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by goalie
theres a good size thread on the same subject over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716892
No - that's a related but different story about supplying data to the US Department of Paranoia. This is about using similar data for the UK's own homegrown control freakery.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I have to say that whilst I support the 'no fly if you owe fines' idea, I wonder what the EU will have to say.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Depending on where I am coming from it can take over 24 hours travelling to get to the UK, does this mean I cannot book travel less than 3 days before that urgent meeting/funeral/party?

Just when you think it cannot get any worse, they find another reason to avoid UK transits.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Markie
I have to say that whilst I support the 'no fly if you owe fines' idea.
As a victim of a miscoded fine I do not support the concept of "no fly if you owe fines". It is particularly nasty to be told at the start of 2 days travelling to get to your destination that you have to leave your travel companions at the airport to go into the relevant authority's office (which is not open until Monday morning) to pay a (possibly large) fine you had no idea about (because it wasn't yours) and pray you can get rebooked for on flights the following day without a further hefty payment. Totally ruins a trip with no or limited recourse.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 3:20 am

NI, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Isles are in a Common Travel Area. However they can always invoke the Terrorism Act to achieve the same aims!!!!!!
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donaghadee
NI, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Isles are in a Common Travel Area. However they can always invoke the Terrorism Act to achieve the same aims!!!!!!
Unless they intend imposing the 48 hour rule on travelling by train/car/bus/foot across the Irish border and for people travelling within the UK between NI & GB by ferry or plane then the system is crocked from the beginning. Ditto for the Channel Islands & the Isle of Man
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
GAk!

What a ghastly initiative.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
At first glance I thought this was one of those OMNI threads where someone posts a silly thread in response to another one. Obviously this is not the case.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Couldn't resist quoting this:
Originally Posted by Roger Thornhill
Ugarte: Look Rick, do you know what this is? Something that even you have never seen. Letters of Transit digitally signed by Gordon Brown himself. Cannot be rescinded, not even questioned...
More here.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by chartreuse
More here.
Cool blog. ^
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Information grabs, security cameras, control orders, "indeterminate sentences for public protection"/"imprisonment for public protection", and exit controls. The list keeps getting longer and George Orwell is not around to write a sequel or revise the title of his book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.