Search

New rule to inconveniece Europeans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alanR
If you have dual US/Cheese eating surrender monkey citizenship could you be tapped without a warrant?
As long as as US resident/person is not the "main target of surveillance" such a person could be tapped without a warrant. In other words, if you are a "secondary" or "incidental" party to surveillance, then yes tapped without a warrant is what this latest Congress passed. So much for the Constitution's prohibition on warrantless searches.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by alanR
If you have dual US/Cheese eating surrender monkey citizenship could you be tapped without a warrant?
emphaisis mine: grrrrrr

let's play nice folks. i have family in france and have since before the second world war where many fought (and some died) for the resistance.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:07 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by DogHead
Getting US visa in 24 hrs is pure science fiction yet
That was my point with my "Just try getting a US visa in 24 hours" comment.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Originally Posted by DogHead
Lunacy and idiocy.

I travel very often on short notice. Sometimes even 24hrs or less. And what to do now?

So much for land of the free... it's harder and harder to love USA, not to mention doing business with it.

God help America if it choses to treat friends and allies in such a way. With such an attitude there won't be any left quite soon.
Have you considered video-conferencing?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:48 am
Suspended

DHS and DOS policy clowns bantering about 48-72 hours in advance? even as part of a negotiating strategy.

This comes down to the government being paranoid.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: WorldPerks Gold, Priority Club Platinum
What are they proposing to do with that data? Perform background checks on every person entering the US? They can't even get American passports issued in a reasonable amount of time. Are these people supposed to get some sort of clearance that they can enter, or will we wait until they arrive, get fingerprinted and disappear into the masses as usual? Just because you have someone's name and address doesn't necessarily mean that information will send up any red flags.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
I'm starting to think that this may all be a bit of a red herring. So far, I've been unable to find any reference to 48 hours anywhere other than the FT story.

Further, somebody on the BA board (I should cite, but it's late here) posted the relevant legislation.

(a) It seems to be an enabling bill, rather than a prescriptive one.
(b) There's no mention of 48 hours.
(c) There is a clause saying that DHS may deem a person OK to fly to the US for up to 3 years.

So, my best guess is: If it's the first time you've ever visited the USA on the visa-waiver program then, yes, they might prefer 48 (or whatever - 3, 12, 24?) hours notice, but will probably have some hoops for you to jump through otherwise. On the other hand, if you're a regular, you'll most likely be covered by your previous trips, elapsed time etc. Just like, in the days when I'd regularly forget to hand in the I94W on departure, it was never a problem, 'cos I was back and forth all the time.

And it'll be transparent to us.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I'm starting to think that this may all be a bit of a red herring. So far, I've been unable to find any reference to 48 hours anywhere other than the FT story.

Further, somebody on the BA board (I should cite, but it's late here) posted the relevant legislation.

(a) It seems to be an enabling bill, rather than a prescriptive one.
(b) There's no mention of 48 hours.
(c) There is a clause saying that DHS may deem a person OK to fly to the US for up to 3 years.

So, my best guess is: If it's the first time you've ever visited the USA on the visa-waiver program then, yes, they might prefer 48 (or whatever - 3, 12, 24?) hours notice, but will probably have some hoops for you to jump through otherwise. On the other hand, if you're a regular, you'll most likely be covered by your previous trips, elapsed time etc. Just like, in the days when I'd regularly forget to hand in the I94W on departure, it was never a problem, 'cos I was back and forth all the time.

And it'll be transparent to us.
The Australian ETA is not transparent to us, and that's part of the model that DHS and DOS looked at for this purpose. And this will be more information required than is required for an ETA to Australia. Either way it will not be transparent to those of whom this will be required.

This is about the obsession in some corners of the US to get rid of or substantially rework the VWP to be more restrictive than has been the case in recent years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.