Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BWI Screening stinks.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
BWI has the worst TSA operation I've ever witnessed. Consistently unprofessional.
I find them mixed. Sometimes good, sometimes downright awful.

As a precaution I get to BWI almost 4 hr early.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:00 am

I flew out of DCA about 10 times over the last year, and I don't think I have ever waited more than 20 minutes, most times the wait was 5 minutes or less.
I always flew United or American who share the same terminal (B I think?)

To the previous poster are you serious about 4 hours before your flight for BWI?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by madecon
I flew out of DCA about 10 times over the last year, and I don't think I have ever waited more than 20 minutes, most times the wait was 5 minutes or less.
I always flew United or American who share the same terminal (B I think?)

To the previous poster are you serious about 4 hours before your flight for BWI?
I typically get there at least two hours in advance of my flight, carry-on only, OLCI BP in hand...since June, I have routinely arrived at the DL gates as Zone 1 is starting to board for my flight. Maybe this will change since I just got my GM back on DL and can use the priority line now. Although that only helps the long line to the ID Checker...still have to deal with the routinely single WTMD/X-Ray line even during rush hours at the C C/P.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I typically get there at least two hours in advance of my flight, carry-on only, OLCI BP in hand...since June, I have routinely arrived at the DL gates as Zone 1 is starting to board for my flight. Maybe this will change since I just got my GM back on DL and can use the priority line now. Although that only helps the long line to the ID Checker...still have to deal with the routinely single WTMD/X-Ray line even during rush hours at the C C/P.
Don't remember seeing any sort of elite line at C.

I checked in online and got to the airport at 4:10 on Thurday. Still plenty of time to get a sandwich and make the 5:20 SLC flight.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Elite (defined at C C/P as FC/Bus/DL GM/DL PM/AA PM/AA EPM/Crew/Employees) is located to the left of the Checkstand (the side with the exit and nearest the Men's Head) - directly in front of the escalators to Baggage Claim.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 4:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
To Superguy: DCA security wasn't too bad for me, but I guess I just got lucky.

While we're on the subject of BWI, I came upon this interesting article in the Post. I think I'll keep it a surprise and just let you click and read, then comment your opinions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011901310.html
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Andy1369
To Superguy: DCA security wasn't too bad for me, but I guess I just got lucky.

While we're on the subject of BWI, I came upon this interesting article in the Post. I think I'll keep it a surprise and just let you click and read, then comment your opinions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011901310.html
And that does not surprise me in the least give my own personal experiences from personnel at BWI concession stands. One more reason I loathe BWI.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I rarely have a long wait or any problems at BWI. They don't even make you remove your baggie anymore.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
If I witnessed a pregnant woman sitting on a barstool, I would have been 100% understanding.
The correct action upon witnessing a pregnant woman sat on a barstool is to tell the bartender "Pour this lady a double, she's drinking for two!"
Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My Experience with the DC Area Airports

I've lived around here for 31 years, and, despite being only a 25 minute car ride from BWI, actually fly quite a bit out of DCA and IAD.

BWI--Although I am primarily a DL flyer and secondarily a NW flyer (both of which are at the end of Pier C), I also have used WN (Piers A and B) and UA, US and CO (Pier D). Pier C is the only security entrance that has a priority line for elites (holding DL or AA PM, GM or EXP or PLAT status, or a first class ticket). This can be useful during the 5 a.m. hour, when DL has a couple of full flights to ATL and CVG, NW has a full flight to DTW and AA has full flights to DFW and, I think, MIA. Unhappily, the TSA usually only has one or two screening lanes open (despite having 7 screening lanes set up) until after 6 a.m. As for Pier D, I have never understood why UA and CO haven't arranged for a special line for their elites.

My only amenities gripe with BWI is that DL closed their lounge (it was not a CRC, just a lounge with a full refrigerator and liquor closet, and some carrels, telephones, chairs and a TV) prior to the mid-90s, and have not reopened a CRC or worked with their partner airlines to have a shared lounge. BWI has loads more traffic than certain airports (MCI comes to mind) that have CRCs.

As far as shopping and eating, the new combined Piers A and B have quite a few options, including branches of both Phillips' and Obrycki's, two of Baltimore's most famous crab houses. Pier C, which has fewer gates than either A, B or D, has been undergoing some renovations--there are new Wendy's and Potbelly outlets down by the DL and NW gates, and a branch of Annapolis' Rams Head Tavern is being constructed next to gate C10. There are at least two other construction zones on the concourse; there is a Budweiser Brewhouse, a newsstand and a store selling Maryland souvenirs on this Pier also.

Pier D has the most shopping, and also has a Roy Rogers' (can anyone here say "Double R Bar Burger")--both the UAL and US clubs are beyond security out there.

Pier E is the international terminal--once past security, there isn't much other than waiting areas.
-------------
DCA is a fantastic airport if you are not going by car--the metro station was integrated into the design of the new north terminal, and sits between the building itself and the multi-level parking garage. As a DL flyer, their set up works well for me--they have a check-in set up at the end of the ramp connecting the south end of the metro station with the terminal, not terribly far from the security entrance to the DL/CO/AS/AC gates (B Concourse). There are separate security entrances at all concourses--you can't go from one to another without passing out of security.

The lines at the entrance to the B concourse always seem to be long, and, although DL has set up an elite line, it is usually just as long as the regular line. On Friday morning when I went through there, two TSA grunts were having a chat rather than watching the monitor at the conveyor belt. They usually have a barker screaming in your ears, despite the fact that they have flat screen video monitors giving out the rules for the screening process.

There are both a DL CRC and a CO President's Club beyond this checkpoint--the DL room is reached by an elevator immediately after the screening area. Thank goodness that the CRC is very nice, as there are relatively few food choices in this concourse.

------------------
IAD--They've actually improved the process of clearing security by opening up more screening lanes, and having an elite line serving all airlines, which never seems to have much of a line--I usually clear security in less than 10 minutes after joining the line. Once beyond security, one can go into all public areas airside (different from BWI and DCA). There seem to be more food choices and shopping at IAD airside than at BWI and DCA's airsides combined. DL CRC members have privileges at the NW World Club across from gate B22 (DLs gates are B-42, B-44 and B-46); PMs on AF metal can get into the joint AF/ANA club near B-47.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It just struck me as to what's wrong with BWI. It's managed by the same group that brings you LHR: BAA..... that explains a lot (though not the TSA problems)
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
It just struck me as to what's wrong with BWI. It's managed by the same group that brings you LHR: BAA..... that explains a lot (though not the TSA problems)
LessO2, a couple others and I were discussing that in another thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.