Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

The ignorance on this board showed by some people is staggering...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ignorance on this board showed by some people is staggering...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by PDXUAFAN
shown not showed
@:-)

Originally Posted by birdstrike
putting salt and butter on popcorn.
Pass some over!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
This thread has the potential of going South real quick and will be closed if/when it does.

Let’s treat each other civilly with our comments so that the dialogue can continue.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Cholula

Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

No I didn't want to start a war, just bothered me that all screeners were being rolled into one. It can be closed, didn't want to start any "trouble".
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:11 pm

The best of luck

TSA are good people and good luck! Troll Miller
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by otacon72
No I didn't want to start a war, just bothered me that all screeners were being rolled into one. It can be closed, didn't want to start any "trouble".
All is forgiven.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, otacon72! I'm sure you will have much to contribute here.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
could ever do their jobs for one day
Could never?

There are some VERY highly educated, very intelligent people here on FlyerTalk. Therefore, most would never choose to work for the TSA.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5 Star Gold
Cool

I was getting paid while you were just arguing with me........

You really didn't want to go here. What you have done is to prove that you are absolutely clueless when it comes to the people you are serving.

"I was getting paid" ??? Are you serious? Are you actually saying that this is something to brag about?

TSA Salary Information

Starting salary for an entry level TSA screener ranges from $23,400 to $35,000 per year. TSA salary for a screening manager ranges from $44,000 to $68,000 per year.

The average salary for a TSA screener is $29,602.

Hot damn! $29K !!! That's strong......for a drive through attendant at McDonald's !!!

Do you truly not understand that the traveling professionals you were/are harassing probably made $29K in a matter of a few weeks? Or that their commission checks are bigger (MUCH bigger) than that?

Sorry that this has turned into a "pecker checker" type of discussion, but if we are going to base this discussion on "getting paid", then as a matter of fact yes, mine is bigger than yours.

And please remember that you went here first. Please.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:31 pm

I was getting paid when getting SSSS'd last night. I hope the lady saw my collection of BPs in my backpack and realized what a terrorist I really am.

Don't forget...lots of people were "just doing their job" as an excuse for all kinds of atrocities.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:36 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler
I vote for an immediate closure to this thread.

I can only hope that the OP is NOT a member of TSA and is just fomenting trouble.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:38 pm

One last thing before I go, some signature, I think it's a MOD's, has something like "X-RAY machines cannot detect an explosive device" YES they can... or I should say some of the new models can. They detect certain densities in the substances being scanned and bring attention to it.
I think the point being made is something like:

X-ray machines can show you the differing densities of objects, they cannot tell you whether those objects are explosive. You can attempt to match the known densities of known explosives but then you a) get false-positives for innocuous objects with "explosive" densities and b) (more seriously) do not find explosives which have different densities to the known set.

I would suspect that the false-positive/negative rates on animal/automatic sniffers are more favorable. I am open to correction by anyone who has hard figures to hand.

Now, having said all of that, IF you see an object with the same density as a known explosive AND it correlates with other objects in the image (e.g. stuff that looks like a detonation mechanism) it's probably worth looking at to be on the safe side.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will share my popcorn with everyone who counts to 10, slowly, before posting on this thread.

Several of us, including myself, helped get the thread off to a bad start.

Popcorn, anyone? I'm sorry, but it has loads of plugra butter on it.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
In defense of the OP, I fly 75k a year - with a lot out of major airports and I have yet to run into a bad screener. I know they exist because friends and family have had them, but I have not. I usually get screened about 50 times a year so thats about 100+ screeners without a problem.

As for what is posted on here, I think a lot of the problem is with upper management and above that. Most civil servants do a good job, but upper management in civil servant industries are political appointments and do not have the right experience to do the job properly nor the motivation to do the job correctly - especially when doing the job correctly conflicts with the viewpoints of the powers above them that appoints their position.

Cut off the head and the body will fall...and the head is not Kippie...look higher!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:42 pm

My two cents

Originally Posted by flyinbob
This is part of the problem you don't see. It really is not your right to "give back" anything to anyone while you are on the job. If someone treats you with disrespect, you have the right to walk away or call your supervisor. That's it. You are not allowed to start a pissing contest with the passengers. You are a public servant, and therein lies the problem. None of you have been taught what that means.
So when does abuse from passengers stop?

Originally Posted by Cholula
This thread has the potential of going South real quick and will be closed if/when it does.

Let’s treat each other civilly with our comments so that the dialogue can continue.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Cholula

Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Good job to Cholula for stepping in here. I haven't been on the site for very long, but I can tell that you're well respected here. However, today I got to see one of the moderators exhibit non-moderator like behavior. But that had nothing to do with you. So, kudos on a job well done.

Originally Posted by LEX-LGA Commuter

You really didn't want to go here. What you have done is to prove that you are absolutely clueless when it comes to the people you are serving.

"I was getting paid" ??? Are you serious? Are you actually saying that this is something to brag about?

TSA Salary Information

Starting salary for an entry level TSA screener ranges from $23,400 to $35,000 per year. TSA salary for a screening manager ranges from $44,000 to $68,000 per year.

The average salary for a TSA screener is $29,602.

Hot damn! $29K !!! That's strong......for a drive through attendant at McDonald's !!!

Do you truly not understand that the traveling professionals you were/are harassing probably made $29K in a matter of a few weeks? Or that their commission checks are bigger (MUCH bigger) than that?

Sorry that this has turned into a "pecker checker" type of discussion, but if we are going to base this discussion on "getting paid", then as a matter of fact yes, mine is bigger than yours.

And please remember that you went here first. Please.
Believe it or not, $29K is still alot of money to people. It may be small potatoes to you, but some people still manage to support their families on that. What level is $29K at? The equivalent of a GS-5?

Originally Posted by gj83
I was getting paid when getting SSSS'd last night. I hope the lady saw my collection of BPs in my backpack and realized what a terrorist I really am.

Don't forget...lots of people were "just doing their job" as an excuse for all kinds of atrocities.
Are you kidding me?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Maybe I shouldn’t have worded the thread like I did. I was going to stay and chat about some good points people have brought up but I knew it wouldn't stay civil so I heading out. By the way, $29K is a lot to many people out there. When you grow up with nothing, $29k was a lot of money. Now that I am "highly educated" and am making more than double that I appreciate the people who make $29k a lot more. Didn't mean to piss off anyone in this thread but I shall be going now.

Oh yeah, the TSA pay scale isn't based on GS but you're right, it's approx.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I shouldn't say right back, it takes a lot to get me going. All the complaining and arguing is just wasting your time. I was getting paid while you were just arguing with me, going in one ear and out the other type deal.
Just like a good little drone would.

At least you confirmed one thing in this thread so far, pax aren't the only sheeple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.