Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

The ignorance on this board showed by some people is staggering...

Old Jul 27, 07, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I was a TSA screener for 2 years and none of you who whine and complain could ever do their jobs for one day. They are only following their rules, which change on an hourly basis sometimes. I wonder if makes people feel better about themselves in that they put down screeners who are just doing their jobs. Pretty sad if you ask me...
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:32 pm

shown not showed
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

putting salt and butter on popcorn.
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:34 pm
Suspended

well, if treating people with disrespect it's part of your job then you get what it's coming.
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Laugh Out Loud
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 9Benua View Post
well, if treating people with disrespect it's part of your job then you get what it's coming.
I never treated anyone with disrespect but when they treated me that way I gave it right back.
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXUAFAN View Post
shown not showed
Grammar correction...thanks...
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
putting salt and butter on popcorn.
Me too...this is going to be fun. Tired of good screeners getting walked all over in this forum. There are always bad apples in any job.
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:45 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I done alway wanna be a screener an I passa the test but I wanna make more mony. So I decid to becum a nuclearphsyisicist.
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DuckSoupforMe View Post
I done alway wanna be a screener an I passa the test but I wanna make more mony. So I decid to becum a nuclearphsyisicist.
Just made my point...
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by otacon72 View Post
I never treated anyone with disrespect but when they treated me that way I gave it right back.
Great philosophy for a "security professional". Thanks Comrade Daschle!
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by otacon72 View Post
This is part of the problem you don't see. It really is not your right to "give back" anything to anyone while you are on the job. If someone treats you with disrespect, you have the right to walk away or call your supervisor. That's it. You are not allowed to start a pissing contest with the passengers. You are a public servant, and therein lies the problem. None of you have been taught what that means.
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, Seriously.

Except for the "bad apples" that we agree exist in all jobs, I don't think anyone here is dumping on screeners qua screeners. Individual screeners are generally respected as individuals (despite the assumption of many that they have made a poor choice of jobs).

"Generic screeners" are dumped on as a proxy for everything that is wrong with the TSA and DHS.

Please don't mistake criticism for the group as criticism of individuals except as specifically indicated.

Your comment about "dishing it back" will certainly be so noted.
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL4EVR View Post
Great philosophy for a "security professional". Thanks Comrade Daschle!

I shouldn't say right back, it takes a lot to get me going. All the complaining and arguing is just wasting your time. I was getting paid while you were just arguing with me, going in one ear and out the other type deal. Like I said, just following rules. If you want to complain, go to a supervisor.
Old Jul 27, 07, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
OK, Seriously.

Except for the "bad apples" that we agree exist in all jobs, I don't think anyone here is dumping on screeners qua screeners. Individual screeners are generally respected as individuals (despite the assumption of many that thay have made a poor choice of jobs).

"Generic screeners" are dumped on as a proxy for everything that is wrong with the TSA and DHS.

Please don't mistake criticism for the group as criticism of individuals except as specifically indicated.

That's all I wanted to hear, thank you birdstrike. It's a VERY small group of people that post on here that irk me. Just wanted to voice my opinion that not all screeners are bad, they are just doing their jobs. Everyone makes mistakes but they are out in the open under a magnifying glass as they should be. Wasn't trying to piss off anyone by starting this thread but it just bugged me. One last thing before I go, some signature, I think it's a MOD's, has something like "X-RAY machines cannot detect an explosive device" YES they can... or I should say some of the new models can. They detect certain densities in the substances being scanned and bring attention to it.

Last edited by otacon72; Jul 27, 07 at 8:04 pm

Search this Thread