Search

TSA wants new uniforms

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by donaghadee
What about the guns, handcuffs, mace, tasers etc
That's the next step after this one, Comrade.

I can't say I'm surprised by this. The government constantly does stupid stuff to try to improve performance. Reorgs are a big thing. Too busy "reorganizing" to concentrate on the mission. Then when that doesn't work, they have to do it over again because they didn't do it right.

New uniforms follow the same stupidity. As if we didn't have enough TSO's that think they're cops or federal agents, this will just add to that mentality. This will make things worse, not better.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:58 am

new uniforms

TSA screeners do not want the new uniforms at my airport. They want better x-ray machines. They think this is a big waste of money and hate the new look more than you do. The blueberry smurf color shirts, the stripe down the pants and the fake badge have them more upset than you all. They have been complaining all week about the waste of money being spent.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Who comes up with this crap???
One of those fresh Hahvad geniuses they recently trapped err... sorry, recruited ?

No, I'm sure it's those faceless empire-builders at HQ again. Since they clearly know ****all about actual threat assessment and mitigation they have to spend time and money on things they do understand; namely departmental and personal stature and above all: BUDGET.

I can imagine some screeners (you know who you are) peeing themselves with joy at the prospect of LEO-like unis and GOLD shields. Wow, such authoritah !

Last edited by Wally Bird; Jul 20, 2007 at 9:43 am Reason: added link to pix
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ND Sol hit the nail on the head with the lipstick on a pig comment.

If they are so worried about their professionalism, then start catching the bombs that go through. Spend the damn money on technology, not trying to re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

If they go with new uniforms, I suggest embroidering "Chico's Bail Bonds" on the back.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, US Airways Dividend Miles, Choice Hotels, Hertz #1
Let me start by saying this comment has no reflection on the White House uniformed division of the Secret Service for whom I have both personal and professional respect for, but this kind of reminds me of what happened to them during the Nixon years. Some one in that administration had them dressed up like some Praetorian Guards. Didn't last long though thank God.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by flpab
The blueberry smurf color shirts, the stripe down the pants and the fake badge have them more upset than you all.
You have got to be kidding. If you tried to dress a bus driver in such a look, the driver's union would strike and call the Fashion Police to arrest management.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I can not iminage the thought of giving them guns & badges.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
I have a picture of the new uniform on another computer.

I'll try to upload it later.

It looks more like a bus driver, with a light blue shirt and dark pants.

BTW, the Guardian Angels joke was pretty bad. Curtis Sliwa is actually a really good guy.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by LessO2
If they go with new uniforms, I suggest embroidering "Chico's Bail Bonds" on the back.
Somehow I don't think Chico wants to sponsor that many uniforms...

TSA story of the morning -- the woman in front of me at the DCA checkpoint was politely told by the X-ray screener, "You have two water bottles in your bag. Would you like to drink them or surrender them?" The woman and her companion clearly were trying to sneak them through. They surrendered them. As they were being extracted from the depths of the bag I pointed out that the caps are the giveaway to the presence of the bottles as they are denser than the rest of the bottle. One of them said, "Oh -- perhaps we should have removed the caps?!"

Because I was helpful at explaining this to the women, the TSA guy removing the bottles then told me, "We'll treat you nicely today." I told him he should treat everyone nicely all the time. The response? "But that would ruin our image!"
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:49 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Spiff
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...owns901125.jpg

A uniform like this would really underscore the high standards, particularly in the technical competence, of this agency.
i vote with Spiff on this one-it's gotta be cheaper than a $40,000 toilet seat

[btw-i think the clown in the back row, 2nd from the right looks like the kipster]
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Because I was helpful at explaining this to the women, the TSA guy removing the bottles then told me, "We'll treat you nicely today." I told him he should treat everyone nicely all the time. The response? "But that would ruin our image!"
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
With all the great uniform ideas posted so far, I think TSA should hold a contest, here's my vote:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...tick-thumb.jpg

Perhaps the winner can keep their shoes on and bring up to 5oz of liquid past security for a whole year!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:19 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
How about this?

http://www.dragonwings.net/EricHeath...ownCop1991.jpg
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Nothing less than this:

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/m...diser/3183.jpg

is appropriate.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:28 am

Most of my coworkers are thrilled - we won't have to wear the lame clip on tie with the short sleeved shirt anymore. However, yeah - stripe down the pants? god... Why can't we just have a polo shirt and slacks!?!

The metal badge on the other hand is frightening - we already had one coworker get fired for impersonating a federal law enforcement officer with a fake badge, and now these?..

Oh well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.