TSA wants new uniforms

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
TSA wants new uniforms

The wrong look for screeners

Thursday, July 19, 2007
The Transportation Security Administration wants to increase the professionalism of its 43,000 screeners who scrutinize airline passengers and luggage for explosives, weapons and other contraband.

The more professionalism the better, given the chronically high rate at which screeners around the country fail to catch contraband in undercover tests.

Increasing training -- particularly shifting the job focus be yond a simple checklist mentality to looking for suspicious behavior beyond the limited zone around the X-ray machine -- is a good idea.

But the TSA is off course with the sartorial part of its improvement plan. It wants to replace the screeners' dark pants and white shirts with uniforms that are more policelike, complete with gold badges.

The TSA says the badges and uniforms will better reflect the critical nature of the screeners' jobs and the ever-higher standards. But the screeners' present look isn't unprofessional. Their shirts are businesslike and bear a prominent TSA logo, along with large identification cards that clearly indicate their role.

Some federal and local law officers fear the new accouterments could confuse passengers into thinking screeners are real police. Which they aren't. In a real emergency -- say you saw an assault in progress -- contacting a screener could mean a delay while the screener found a cop.

Gate security was transferred from the airlines after 9/11 to the federal government because the system was far too porous. There are still too many holes, so the government's aim has to be to produce the most meticulous and professional screening force possible. But screeners aren't cops and don't need to look like police.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:57 am

What about the guns, handcuffs, mace, tasers etc
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Top Tier
Some federal and local law officers fear the new accouterments could confuse passengers into thinking screeners are real police. Which they aren't. In a real emergency -- say you saw an assault in progress -- contacting a screener could mean a delay while the screener found a cop.

Gate security was transferred from the airlines after 9/11 to the federal government because the system was far too porous. There are still too many holes, so the government's aim has to be to produce the most meticulous and professional screening force possible. But screeners aren't cops and don't need to look like police.
Simple solution here............turn them into cops! Give them badges, guns and cuffs.

You know its coming. Its only a matter of time.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's My Vote...

...for the new TSA uniforms. In the interests of standardization, all TSA employees, from Kippie on down (and including FAMs) should be required to wear the new uniform: http://www.peoriarestaurants.com/ima...s_jan_2006.jpg ^
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
We all certainly hope Spiff is allright. I mean, this thread has been here six hours and Spiff has not yet posted his predictable uniform suggestion for Kip and the Gang: Orange prison jumpsuits.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:21 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Here's my vote

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...owns901125.jpg

A uniform like this would really underscore the high standards, particularly in the technical competence, of this agency.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
So stupid! Clothes don't make the person, and I am sure that we'll be seeing a lot of morons waving badges around like they are some sort of law enforcement.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is this a joke? Like an editorial or real news? I can't believe it...speechless, which for me is very rare.

There are so many things wrong with this concept, I don't even know where to start, well ok..let's start with the concept that a more 'professional' uniform will improve screener performance. That is so much bunk, I can smell it from here.

Screener performance is bad, because they are not recruiting and retaining good people. They are not recruiting and retaining good people because the organization is a total train wreck, from its leader on down. Morale is in shambles. Giving them new uniforms isn't going to help.

Who comes up with this crap???
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta DM
And who is going to pay for them???
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
And who is going to pay for them???
We are.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:19 am

then I say no <censored> way!!!!!!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
TSA screeners are not professional, they're not police and they don't *DESERVE* to wear a badge. They're not putting their lives on the line protecting people - they're rifling through people's socks and underwear for evil liquids and gels.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can dress up a bunch of circus clowns in whatever clothing you like; they're still a bunch of circus clowns masquerading as real security professionals.

Edit: I just clicked on Spiff's link - looks like I'm slow on the draw today.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:34 am

You know that when a problem arises and something HUGE happens on an airline, TSA will say, we were there to HELP prevent, but not able to stop ALL possible problems. They won't have any accountability to any actions that would/will happen.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:50 am

Putting lipstick on a pig.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.