Pilot steals Ipod at screening

Old Jul 18, 07, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Pilot steals Ipod at screening

Now THIS is fully!

He said, 'I only took it because somebody was going to take it".

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-24e7962ea463&
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by doctall41 View Post
Now THIS is fully!

He said, 'I only took it because somebody was going to take it".

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-24e7962ea463&
This is really disgusting. Firstly, the IPod would not have been confiscated, so the pilot in question is a moron for saying this. Secondly, he is a thief and a crook, and thus has committed an act of moral turpitude, which would place his employment at a major airline in question - it will be interesting to see how Mesa handles this.

At every other company I can think of, if an employee steals from a customer, they are terminated immediately and so should he.
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by TSA Spokeshole
TSA spokesperson Nico Melendez said, "We know passengers steal from passengers. It can happen anywhere. Fortunately, some airports do have cameras. Workers try to keep their eyes open and we urge passengers to do the same."
We know that if it's to TSA's benefit the video will end up on the site. If not, the video goes MIA, having been "recycled".

Also, what's this some airports have cameras?
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond BMI Silver
I thought you had to have brains to be a pilot! I mean he at least makes about 40k a year and can afford an ipod instead of havening to steal one with his work id on!
Old Jul 18, 07, 10:11 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I feel he should've been arrested on the spot. From what I read this is theft & he should be fired.
Old Jul 18, 07, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Tom92591 View Post
I thought you had to have brains to be a pilot! I mean he at least makes about 40k a year and can afford an ipod instead of havening to steal one with his work id on!
40K a year would be a big stretch. Most regional airline pilots are lucky if they clear 18-20K unless they're senior captains with quite a few years. If the thief...err...pilot is a new-hire first officer, he might only be clearing 12-15K depending on his flight work hours.
Old Jul 18, 07, 11:07 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
I recently read an article in Flight Training magazine that discussed the traits airlines look for in pilot candidates. The advise to the aspiring pilot hire was number one be honest. Of course in the context of a pilot interview, they are talking about be honest about that hard landing during training, or that speeding ticket during undergrad.

It seems to me it would be pretty hard to not terminate the guy.
Old Jul 18, 07, 12:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
As there are already open threads on this topic, we'll close this one.

----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator

Search this Thread