Reality check: disposable contacts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Reality check: disposable contacts

I'm flying home tomorrow.

If I have disposable contacts which come in little foil blister packs which (btw) contain a little bit of fluid is some sad excuse for a government worker going to insist that they are in a ziploc?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I haven't had a problem traveling with mine (and I always carry two extra for each eye). This was pre-ziploc days but post 8/10, mind you.

I'm not clear on the ziploc rules, but as they are both such a small amount of liquid (way under the 4oz allowed for non-Rx liquid meds, for example) and are an Rx item, I wouldn't bother putting them in a baggie. You of course still run the risk of some idiot who doesn't know / doesn't care about the rules trying to make a power play and confiscate them as "the big catch," but in 99% of the cases the screener's supervisor will resolve the problem.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:40 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
I also have daily contacts. I just put an extra pair in my pants pocket.

I truly deeply madly despise morons at TSA
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:09 pm

I travel with 4 extra contacts.
2 in my pants pocket and 2 in my laptop bag and never had a problem after the liquid ban.
I guess the TSA never saw them
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:18 am

I don't trust the TSA to do anything right... so I've sent a set of daily disposable contact lenses to all of my client sites and just carry 3 days worth of contacts on my person when passing through the kabuki security checkpoint.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:49 pm

Isn't it ridiculous that we have to ask if it's ok to carry disposable contacts on board, and if so, how to do it in compliance with current regulations?

And we're frequent travelers. How in the world is the average citizen supposed to know?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by einTier
Isn't it ridiculous that we have to ask if it's ok to carry disposable contacts on board, and if so, how to do it in compliance with current regulations?

And we're frequent travelers. How in the world is the average citizen supposed to know?
It is true that it is sad that we have to ask this. However, I am wondering if it is the fact that we are frequent travelers is why we are confused/frustrated. For us the rules seem to and often times do change on a day to day basis. What was the rule for a trip last week suddenly isn't the rule the next week. For the average person this isn't the issue. They only have to make "one" change, while we have to make several over a small period of time. It really isn't Ma and Pa Kettle who are affected by this it is us, the frequent traveler who is.

Looking at everything -- Contacts were ok a week ago, weren't ok 6 weeks ago. Lens solution containers weren't ok 6 weeks ago, were ok 4 weeks ago, and now have to be declared. For us we have to constantly adapt. The typical passenger just looks one day and says "oh, these are the rules"
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
They are OK and don't need to be in the ziplock becuase they are Rx but the question is do they need to be presented like other Rx items such as cough syrup, etc.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 4:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by westcoastman
They are OK and don't need to be in the ziplock becuase they are Rx but the question is do they need to be presented like other Rx items such as cough syrup, etc.
I don't plan to present them. If any TSO (a) finds them; and (b) claims I have to surrender them since I didn't declare them, that TSO is a bigger moron than Kip Hawley, which takes some doing.

Honestly, even if the contacts were 100% nitroglycerine, how much of a threat could they possibly be? Confiscating them for not being declared is nothing but a punative act by the TSO if it happens, and you can bet I would be demanding a supervisor and a LEO if they tried.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO, IC AMB
Need Update Please

Since this thread is now 10 months old, does anyone have an update on whether about 10 days worth of daily disposable contacts are allowed in your carry-on luggage? I have just started wearing them and will be screwed next week if I can't carry them on since I'm not checking. I suppose the only alternative is to mail a box ahead of time?

Thanks for the info.

Bill.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:38 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
To this date, no one has said a word about the 5 to 10 pairs that I usually have in my carryon luggage.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Oxb
To this date, no one has said a word about the 5 to 10 pairs that I usually have in my carryon luggage.
I fly just about every week or two and have since before 9/11, and I've never had a problem with my disposables. I haven't advertised them and they haven't seen them on the x-ray or asked.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
i am p[lanning on going to Brazil for 2 weeks....taking 2 weeks worth of disposables....in my carry on...let us see if the idiots can even spot them....
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by anaggie
i am p[lanning on going to Brazil for 2 weeks....taking 2 weeks worth of disposables....in my carry on...let us see if the idiots can even spot them....
I've travelled all over Europe, Asia, Australia and Africa this spring, a weeks worth of lenses in my lens bag (Nikon lenses), and noone aid anything.

-A
Old Jul 9, 2007, 2:31 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
They fall under the medical exception.

No limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.