Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone want to work for DHS?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Anyone want to work for DHS?

Wonder how many of the positions are with the TSA...

Many Homeland Security positions vacant
‘Gaping hole’ in nation’s preparedness, congressional report says

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19666375
The Bush administration has failed to fill roughly a quarter of the top leadership posts at the Department of Homeland Security, creating a "gaping hole" in the nation's preparedness for a terrorist attack or other threat, according to a congressional report to be released today.

As of May 1, Homeland Security had 138 vacancies among its top 575 positions, with the greatest voids reported in its policy, legal and intelligence sections, as well as in immigration agencies, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Coast Guard. The vacant slots include presidential, senior executive and other high-level appointments, according to the report by the majority staff of the House Homeland Security Committee.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Let's just eliminate DHS and go back to the way things used to be, including no disgusting TSA.

(And no, I won't be applying. I don't work for Communists or terrorists.)
Old Jul 9, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I'd only apply if I can be Kip's boss...and tell him You're FIRED!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by party_boy
I'd only apply if I can be Kip's boss...and tell him You're FIRED!
I'd be happy to see Comrade Chertoff deported to North Korea and you given that Communist's job instead.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: Burrito Elito
Not even if they paid me!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm no't surprised they're lacking in legal. They can say "we didn't know it was illegal."

Intelligence positions? It's clear DHS has no intelligence.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I know several people who have left jobs at DHS. They claim the environment is awful, and that anyone trying to do anything actually constructive is seen as a troublemaker.

One went to work for USGS; another for DoD; a couple more went to private industry as consultants / analysts. All seem much happier now.

For some reason, I don't think they are anomalous.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
*raises my hand* I am very interested! I'd love to be in charge of screening passengers, making sure that water gets thrown away... after all, the passengers aren't humans, they must be terrorists who use water as their weapon for power... and I'll ensure that bombs get past undetected, because, oh who in the heck would actually bring a bomb? Finally, I'll make sure every passenger feels hassled, because after all, they're stupid sheep who are guilty until I deem them innocent. Who cares about the stupid, worthless 1st and 4th amendment? THIS IS WAR TIME UNDER PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH and he is our LAEDER! Aye, our LADDER! Or was that leeder?

If you like what you see in my here short resume, then hire me right away... I can't wait to make America SAFER and less vulernable to Osma Bin Laden... er, wait, was that Al Queda?

Oh, and of course you'll see me tasering and stomping on anyone who dare speak against me... this is a dictatorship agency, right?

(You're hired, superior comrade!) Thank you! I can't wait until this afternoon - no background check? No screening for me? Higher pay if I'm seen torturing young kids who dared bring water guns? Seems like paradise to me!

Old Jul 10, 2007, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
I know several people who have left jobs at DHS. They claim the environment is awful, and that anyone trying to do anything actually constructive is seen as a troublemaker.

One went to work for USGS; another for DoD; a couple more went to private industry as consultants / analysts. All seem much happier now.

For some reason, I don't think they are anomalous.

I former DoD colleague of mine lasted a year in a senior position the DHS technology directorate. His views of DHS are exactly as you state.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by caleo
Many Homeland Security positions vacant
‘Gaping hole’ in nation’s preparedness, congressional report says
This is a very positive sign.

The fewer people willing to work for the US government the better. The greater stigmatization attached to working for the TSA, the DHS, the IRS, the US military, etc., the better.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Texas_Dawg
This is a very positive sign.

The fewer people willing to work for the US government the better. The greater stigmatization attached to working for the TSA, the DHS, the IRS, the US military, etc., the better.
I'm not too sure about that. They need to hire someone. If the supply of well qualified, intelligent, dedicated people dries up due to disinterest and attrition, they will just end up scraping the bottom of the barrel to fill their staffing needs. Things will just get worse, not better.

For the record, I would not be interested in a position at DHS or the TSA for exactly the reason Exerda pointed out - any attempt to bring logic, efficiency or improvement to that environment would be met with contempt, suspicion and hostility, and I would just end up leaving (or getting fired) anyway.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm not too sure about that. They need to hire someone.
Why? We don't screen bus passengers or metro passengers. We don't require them to show ID. How many buses or metros get blown up outside of Israel?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I former DoD colleague of mine lasted a year in a senior position the DHS technology directorate. His views of DHS are exactly as you state.
I have a friend who's a contractor there. He travels and teaches some adminsitrative program for them. That said, he said that they have no regard for the Privacy Act there, and he's had to call them on it a few times. I think he stays largely because he's on the road so much and doesn't have to deal much with them.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gj83
Why? We don't screen bus passengers or metro passengers. We don't require them to show ID. How many buses or metros get blown up outside of Israel?
Not sure what you're inferring from my statement - they need to hire people at DHS, otherwise how can the agency operate? We can fantasize about it going away because they can't hire qualified people, but that just won't happen.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott, AA EXP, United, Alaska, AirTran
Dream DHS Job - Designing the next "Mood Ring"

Wow - a government job with no real responsibilities! No follow through. No deliverables. No purpose.

I want to design the next DHS "Mood Ring."

It would always be Yellow.

No one would ever be able to tell if it was broken.

Supervisors would be so impressed. Could end up being one of Kip's most trusted advisers.

Because, I want to add value. Be a contributing member of society.

Easy, sneezy, parcheazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.