Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Man violently assaulted by airport police for leaving MSP by bicycle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man violently assaulted by airport police for leaving MSP by bicycle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Um, knowing I did nothing wrong, have presented no danger to him, and that he has made no clear indication that he even had the right to stop me, I'd let him and pack my bags and book a first class ticket to a tropical island where I'd never have to work another day in my life.

This is my proposal for staffing policies at police departments like this: SUB-zero tolerance. One complaint, you're fired. No investigation, no appeal. If you receive one complaint against you, or something negative about you is posted on a blog, newspaper, whatever, you get fired. Period. Case closed. In any hotel property, if a hotel manager decides to taser a guest riding on a bike out of the driveway, even if he was in the right, he'd have his ... fired in seconds.

Which is to say, if I were wrongly harassed/assaulted by a police officer, I wouldn't rest until his bank account, house, 401k, brokerage account, and the entire city was financially gutted. I'd drag his ..., disgraceful behavior and the disgraceful department that hires him through years of discovery, depos, litigation and settlement conferences just to spite him. I'd also make sure he gets enough publicity to never be able to get a job again. Yes, I'm vindictive enough to want an entire city financially gutted over one cop's actions.
This is the dumbest thing I've read in weeks, and that's saying something.

Hotel manager = police officer?

I'm pretty sure the ability to use force is ever so slightly different. Hotel managers having a need to use force as an adjunct to their jobs and all...
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
I'd never be desperate to the point where I'd work for the public sector, because I actually LEARNED something in and go to a decent college.

If the cop stories I read about are a good reflection of the mindset and actions of most cops, a lot of them are human garbage. Why would I work with and for people like that? The economy may be going to hell in a handbasket, but I'm not THAT desperate for a job.
You're still in school? That's telling.........
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
In this case, the "if" is absurd, hence the <sigh>.
Thank you. It's silly to point out the obvious, but thanks for the assist.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Plaintiff?
sorry..."appellant"
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:56 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
You get there only with a mistranslation. Read the opinion. It will make your own opinion so much more informed.
How? I'll quote what I was referring to:

Originally Posted by SgtScott31
Why am I not surprised that this post has not been removed.

When a lawful order is given by a police officer, even if you don't agree with it, do what he/she says and handle the situation later like an adult. If the order and/or officer was wrong, there are proper ways to handle it. If you want to act like a 10 yr old and spend thousands of dollars in the process by filing appeals, be my guest.
I still think SgtScott31 is saying that one should comply with an officer's orders and later argue the lawfulness of those orders; i.e. one should always follow an officer's order, regardless of the order's lawfulness. To me that may be prudent thing to do (generally), but it's not always "acting like an adult." There are situations, such as the Rosa Parks case, where the adult thing to do is not follow an officer's order. (No: I am not equating the MSP bicyclist to Rosa Parks.)

Or is there a line to be drawn? What is a "lawful order"? As a citizen I (seriously) wish I knew. Are any of the following "lawful orders" that I could be legitimately arrested & prosecuted for? Obviously the last one is, and the first one clearly (hopefully) is not, but are any others?
  1. An order to do something in violation of the law.
  2. An order to do something stupid, random, but not illegal (hop on one foot).
  3. An order to stop doing something legal, such as walking down the sidewalk, absent any justifiable law enforcement or other public safety interest in clearing the sidewalk (such as a sidewalk in front of a burning building).
  4. An order (through a megaphone) to drive faster when doing 50mph in a 55mph zone and not obstructing traffic.
  5. An order to stop doing something illegal.

Last edited by ralfp; Sep 18, 2008 at 5:09 pm
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by ralfp
Rosa Parks
Heh. I know you're not making the comparison, but I'll bet Mr. Orsak thinks he's picking up right where she left off.

1. An order to do something in violation of the law.
  2. An order to do something stupid, random, but not illegal (hop on one foot).
  3. An order to stop doing something legal, such as walking down the sidewalk, absent any justifiable law enforcement or other public safety interest in clearing the sidewalk (such as a sidewalk in front of a burning building).
  4. An order (through a megaphone) to drive faster when doing 50mph in a 55mph zone and not obstructing traffic.
  5. An order to stop doing something illegal.
1. No, by definition that's not a lawful order. Keep in mind that some acts that might be ordinarily unlawful can be lawful under some circumstances (e.g., a cop directs you to make an otherwise illegal U-turn to avoid a road blockage).

2. It depends on state/local law, but this is probably not a lawful order in that the cop is using his authority to demand things that are really just for his personal kicks, with no connection to law enforcement. I can't believe you would ever face prosecution for refusing a request like this. And, of course, a cop is looking at discipline and maybe dismissal for such conduct.

3. This is getting close to the facts of the Orsak case. Yes, "stay clear of this sidewalk" is a classic lawful order. Maybe the cop is making a bad judgment, and you really should be able to walk on that sidewalk. Here we have to ask ourselves what as a society we want in this situation: i) let people disregard the cop's order or ii) force them to comply with it (under the penalty Mr. Orsak faced), and have meaningful citizen grievance procedures available to deal with unreasonable or abusive cops. I think ii) is by far the way to go.

4. Same as 3. If the cop demands that you travel at an unsafe speed, the order might cease to be lawful.

5. That's almost certainly a lawful order. Maybe there are some very odd situations where doing something illegal is necessary to prevent some grave bodily harm to another.

Let's see...how about a diabetic sees another diabetic in hypoglycemic shock. She is about to inject the victim with life-saving insulin. Doing so, however, would violate drug dispensing laws. A stickler for enforcing these laws, Officer orders the Good Samaritan not to inject. She does, regardless. Sounds like a Criminal Law exam, which sometimes present some really, really unlikely situations.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
While I cannot very any of the details on the story, I do know that I have run across a few airport officers with attitude.

And here is some proof of what happens when police offers get attitude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:09 pm

A police force, like any group of humans, will have it's share of unreasonable, and, sadly, a few abusive cops. Of course, their job is to protect us from some of the most unreasonable and often violent members of society. There can be no serious dispute of either of these things.

None of that is really at issue in the Orsak case. Mr. Orsak believed that he could disregard an officer's traffic order. He learned that he cannot do that. And that is how it should be, for the reasons I mention above.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:13 pm

3. This is getting close to the facts of the Orsak case. Yes, "stay clear of this sidewalk" is a classic lawful order. Maybe the cop is making a bad judgment, and you really should be able to walk on that sidewalk. Here we have to ask ourselves what as a society we want in this situation: i) let people disregard the cop's order or ii) force them to comply with it (under the penalty Mr. Orsak faced), and have meaningful citizen grievance procedures available to deal with unreasonable or abusive cops. I think ii) is by far the way to go.
The problem is that we don't have either. Does anyone honestly think that anything at all would have happened had the cyclist obeyed every officers' orders and later filed a complaint? There is generally no real penalty for an officer that issues an unlawful order, yet there certainly is a penalty for a citizen who disobeys such an order.

[Rant warning]

I have never been arrested, am probably more law abiding than most people, yet I generally fear police officers. Excluding situations where I'm in immediate danger, I see an interaction of any type with a police officer as a risky thing, something to be avoided. This bothers me, and it should be something that disturbs LEOs, but somehow I doubt that it does.

I know that if I slip up and say something stupid (as happens during verbal disagreements) an officer can decide to arrest me using physical force before I have the chance to beg forgiveness. I know that I'm far more likely to get charged with a crime than the officer if the officer decides to physically harm me in the process of arresting me.

Several friends of mine who have served on juries in criminal trials have come back with the impression that police officers blatantly lie under oath, that they often don't even bother to make their lies physically plausible. This should shock me, but it does not.

4. Same as 3. If the cop demands that you travel at an unsafe speed, the order might cease to be lawful.
Do police officers have the legal authority to issue orders that have no bearing on public safety or LE functions? If so, where do they get it?

I recall a somewhat similar situation that I witnessed twice in the same location (over a decade ago). An NYPD car tailgates a car going just under 40mph on a one-lane highway ramp (40mph posted limit). The NYPD car has no lights or sirens on and tailgates the other car by a few feet (literally). The other car then speeds up to get out of the police car's way (showing respect for the cop). After the ramp merges with a wide highway the cop pulls over the car for speeding (I assume).

What's the correct thing to do in response to such an implicit order to speed up?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
http://web.mac.com/stephanorsak/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

I'm wondering whether I really want to live here any more.
Well forget Canada. Taxes are HIGHER. AND NOT application to live there/citizenship emigration is NOT FREE as it is in the USA.

Not happy here? Be my guest to go wherever you think you'll be able to do whatever -- however you'll find you're BEST being HERE considering all the freedoms that we DO HAVE under federal constitutional and state laws.

THAT said, YES indeed this was totally WRONG and airport police
in this case were complete JERKS.

Easiest way out of that kind of situation is to obey whatever at that point and file complaint and possible legal action AFTER you're safely home.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Of course all cops are 100% nice truthful guys and there are never any bad apples in the bunch.

Tell that to Rodney King.

It appears that the bicyclist's jury trial is set for July 16.
"Rodney" WHO ?

oh you mean the LA dude that got a couple million bucks for a book and
TV talk-show appearances ....
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
><snip>< Several friends of mine who have served on juries in criminal trials have come back with the impression that police officers blatantly lie under oath, that they often don't even bother to make their lies physically plausible. This should shock me, but it does not.><snip><
This practice is so routine and widespread that the police themselves have come up with a nickname for it: "testilying"

Last edited by Top Tier; Sep 18, 2008 at 7:44 pm Reason: added link
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:28 pm

Let's see...how about a diabetic sees another diabetic in hypoglycemic shock. She is about to inject the victim with life-saving insulin. Doing so, however, would violate drug dispensing laws. A stickler for enforcing these laws, Officer orders the Good Samaritan not to inject. She does, regardless. Sounds like a Criminal Law exam, which sometimes present some really, really unlikely situations.
Given the 300 million people and the half-million plus police officers in the US, I imagine that thousands of "unlikely" situations occur every day.

What should happen:
  • Officer offers to assist the Good Samaritan (GS)
  • Officer tells GS to show him/her the labels (is it insulin?).
  • Officer calls EMS, everyone survives.
  • Officer and GS get a brief mention as heroes in the local paper.

Reality:
  • Officer tells GS to stop.
  • GS tries argue; things get heated.
  • Officer arrests GS for failure to obey a lawful order, resisting arrest, drug law violations, etc.
  • GS listed in local paper as being arrested for illegal drugs, etc.
  • Other diabetic dies.
  • No penalty for the officer. He/she gets another arrest (+ for his/her record).
  • Prosecutor offers GS a choice: release after a plea to some minor misdemeanor OR a loss of $1000s for bail (or remand) and, in order of likelihood, an eventual dismissal, not guilty verdict, or conviction.
  • GS spends days in jail, loses $1000s and his/her job, irrespective of any court verdict.

Do I have it right?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
Well forget Canada. Taxes are HIGHER. AND NOT application to live there/citizenship emigration is NOT FREE as it is in the USA.
What?!? Immigration to the US is free? When did that happen? Permanent residence is almost $1000 and naturalization itself is another $600 or so (it's less than $100 in Canada). Total real costs are several thousand dollars.

Or by "emigration" do you mean that we don't charge people who leave the US? We do that too. You pay the $15 fee, plus US taxes. Want to change citizenship after you leave? Well, it better not be to avoid those taxes, because that's illegal.

Or are you saying that immigration to the US is free to those who chose to be born here or to be born to parents with US citizenship? Even then it's not free. Documents required to prove US citizenship (birth certificate, passport, etc.) all cost money.

Last edited by ralfp; Sep 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:04 pm

The problem is that we don't have either. Does anyone honestly think that anything at all would have happened had the cyclist obeyed every officers' orders and later filed a complaint?
I certainly do. Complaints about police conduct by law-abiding citizens are generally taken very seriously. These can be a big problem for departments and for cops, personally. Even just a few of these cast doubt on an officer's fitness for duty, and they are heavenly for a plaintiff's lawyer in a later case trying to prove abuse. If you want to get an unreasonable cop worried, comply, and make it clear that you are taking down every detail.

Once you become a convict, however, your complaint will probably fall on deaf ears. The legitimate gripes of police abuse by convicts get drowned out by the very loud chorus of such complaints from nearly all convicts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.