Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

I raised my voice and they threatened me with arrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I raised my voice and they threatened me with arrest

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2007, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by law dawg
Again, the TSA is not offering a service or product. They are enforcing compliance. Very different animals.
Ever heard of overbreadth and vagueness?
Old May 20, 2007, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Ever heard of overbreadth and vagueness?
Possibly, but I'm not sure. I mean, are we talking obstructification and dictatorialism?
Old May 20, 2007, 5:40 pm

According to the various airport announcements you are responsible for maintaining contol of your personal belongings at all times. So I am afraid you are in a no win situation. If you insist on maintaining eye contact with your belongings and the TSO doesn't agree and considers you hostile you are threatened with arrest. If your bag is found unattended, or has been explained to me, as a consequence of being misplaced by the TSA, it may be confiscated and blown up, or they may clear the terminal due to a potential threat.

No where on the list of passenger rights does it say anything about being given reasonable time to get dressed and repack your carry on belongings.

I am afraid "it's being taken care of" is a corollery to "do you want to fly today". When I was arrested and suggested that my bag be removed from the plane I too was advised it was being taken care of. Guess what, it went on the plane to my destination without me. It is nice to know that having someone arrested at the airport doesn't constitute enough unusual behavior to have their bag pulled. DAH? or is it just me!

It sounds to be as if CATCH 22 may be required reading for many of the perspective TSA agents.

My advice is let them arrest you, load up the sytem with this kind of BS, and file for the information you require to counter under the Freedom of Information Act as I was advised to do. By the time you get the information we might even have a JUSTICE Department.

Remember, stay the curse!
Old May 20, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
But, at the end of the day, anyone in any security capacity has to enforce rules and regulations, if not laws.
But not exceed, invent or abuse those rules and regulations.

While we obviously don't agree with many of the rules (shoes, liquids etc.), I think most of us accept them or make alternate arrangements to avoid having to be subjected to them. Which does not mean, as many 'enforcers' seem to believe, we are willing to endure rudeness, intimidation or capricious threats.

Some screeners get it right, some never will. I don't buy Bart's argument that it's simply a leadership problem; and even if it were, the accountability myth of the TSA makes it moot. There are many posts here documenting that the official channel for redress is essentially futile, so we are left to deal with the goon screeners by our own devices (or just sigh and take it). Small wonder the entire TSA experience is a vexation to many - the ends do not justify the means. YMMV.
Old May 20, 2007, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I read somewhere that one out of seven U.S. workers has worked for McDonald's at one time in his or her life. If true, that's really an amazing fact -- and it reinforces the notion that we shouldn't be so condescending about them. They are us! And, of course, everyone must agree that McDonald's employees are reasonably helpful and polite, which is not true of many TSA employees, unfortunately. (Note that I did not say "most" in the previous sentence.)

Bruce
Well said- Mcd has helped finance my kids saving for college- and they both have great work ethic.

I also agree that if you are pulled out of line for further screening, your bags should be secured in your sight.
Old May 20, 2007, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I read somewhere that one out of seven U.S. workers has worked for McDonald's at one time in his or her life. If true, that's really an amazing fact -- and it reinforces the notion that we shouldn't be so condescending about them. They are us! And, of course, everyone must agree that McDonald's employees are reasonably helpful and polite, which is not true of many TSA employees, unfortunately. (Note that I did not say "most" in the previous sentence.)

The one thing McDonald's has that the TSA doesn't: Accountability.

Even McDonald's pays out lawsuits to idiots like the lady who spilled hot McCoffee all over herself.

The TSA has carefully crafted laws which they are not accountable or responsible for anything.
Old May 21, 2007, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by LessO2

Even McDonald's pays out lawsuits to idiots like the lady who spilled hot McCoffee all over herself.

The TSA has carefully crafted laws which they are not accountable or responsible for anything.
The reason McDonald's has accountability is because it operates in a competitive market. People can choose other providers of fast food.

The TSA does not operate in a competitive environment. Some heavily armed men forcibly monopolized the air travel security industry after 9/11.

It's no different than if McDonald's leaders amassed an army and police force and took over the property of every other fast food chain, additionally threatening to use their army to attack other people attempting to enter the industry. You can be sure that the level of service you'd get from McDonald's would rapidly deteriorate shortly afterwards. It's just human nature.

Statism is a violent, destructive action. It should always be opposed. It is never necessary.
Old May 21, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Bart

Best defense against terrorism is carried out by highly-trained men whom the government denies exist who wear black masks and come in the dark of night to plant two rounds of ammunition in the center of the foreheads of men designated as targets by their government before they disappear back into the dark.
This statement gives me heartburn for one reason: the Government is known to make mistakes. Want evidence of that? Just look at how many people are being released after DNA evidence has cleared them of their convictions. Were the government infallible, I'd agree with you.

To be sure, there are plenty of bad folks out there that deserve this treatment. But it runs counter to everything that this country stands for.

It's never okay to lose. It's even worse to give up trying.
Old May 21, 2007, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
To be sure, there are plenty of bad folks out there that deserve this treatment. But it runs counter to everything that this country stands for.
Frankly, from what I have observed "everything that this country stands for." depends upon chronologically when you are referring to.
Old May 21, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
However, as for attentiveness, we run frequent tests against our TSOs, and they are increasing incrementally in difficulty.
One of many stories/examples on this:
Denver TSA Misses 90% of Bombs and Catches 100% of Coffee:
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=67166&

Originally Posted by News Article Excerpts
TSA screeners failed most of the covert tests because of human error, sources told 9NEWS. Alarms went off on the machines, but sources said screeners violated TSA standard operating procedures and did not hand-search suspicious luggage, wand, or pat down the undercover agents.
In one test, sources told 9NEWS an agent taped an IED to her leg and told the screener it was a bandage from surgery. Even though alarms sounded on the walk-through metal detector, the agent was able to bluff her way past the screener.
Sources told 9NEWS the Red Team was able to sneak about 90 percent of simulated weapons past checkpoint screeners in Denver. In the baggage area, screeners caught one explosive device that was packed in a suitcase. However later, screeners in the baggage area missed a book bomb, according to sources.

"There's very little substance to security," said former Red Team leader Bogdan Dzakovic. "It literally is all window dressing that we're doing. It's big theater on TV and when you go to the airport. It's just security theater."
Dzakovic, who is currently a TSA inspector, said security is no better today.

"It's worse now. The terrorists can pretty much do what they want when they want to do it," he said.
The security chief says he expects screeners to fail the Red Team tests because they are difficult.
While Morris said security can always get better, it's already excellent.
"We understand that security is not perfect in every aspect but we understand that we go about trying to be perfect every single day and we are doing a tremendous job out there and the public should feel comfortable flying out today and quite frankly, they do," he said.
Yeah - if "tremendous" is getting ti right 10% of the time. Last time I checked, that was about 55% below even getting a D-minus in school. The whole thing just fills me with a sense of safety.

My scope of control is limited to San Antonio, second shift. I can't speak on behalf of screeners on the other shifts nor at other airports.
It sounds like you do a great job with your people and your airport security station. Too bad more aren't handled the way you describe SAT, but others simply aren't even close. I wasn't bringing all of this up to put you on the defensive -- SAT and you are far outliers and not the norm. You bring up great anecdotes in here about how it should be done, but that really whitewashes how things area actually done everywhere in the system that isn't the second shift at SAT. Most airports the security and training are horrible and if anyone has tried to make it better over the course of the last several years, then they've failed because it simply isn't, anecdotal evidence and outliers aside.

peace,
~Ben~

PS> Does anyone know if the TSA has training on how to handle, store and dispose of potentially highly-explosive material?
Old May 21, 2007, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Tickling the tail of the dragon

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
PS> Does anyone know if the TSA has training on how to handle, store and dispose of potentially highly-explosive material?
Those explosives appear to be reaching cricitical mass.

Last edited by MikeMpls; May 21, 2007 at 5:45 pm
Old May 21, 2007, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Those explosives appears to be reaching cricitical mass.
At least he's wearing gloves.
Old May 21, 2007, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2

Not that cut and dry:

http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm

McFact No. 1: For years, McDonald's had known they had a problem with the way they make their coffee - that their coffee was served much hotter (at least 20 degrees more so) than at other restaurants.

McFact No. 2: McDonald's knew its coffee sometimes caused serious injuries - more than 700 incidents of scalding coffee burns in the past decade have been settled by the Corporation - and yet they never so much as consulted a burn expert regarding the issue.

McFact No. 3: The woman involved in this infamous case suffered very serious injuries - third degree burns on her groin, thighs and buttocks that required skin grafts and a seven-day hospital stay.

McFact No. 4: The woman, an 81-year old former department store clerk who had never before filed suit against anyone, said she wouldn't have brought the lawsuit against McDonald's had the Corporation not dismissed her request for compensation for medical bills.
Old May 21, 2007, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
It sounds like you do a great job with your people and your airport security station.
LOL. Gee, I wonder why it sounds that way.

Old May 21, 2007, 9:07 pm

Not that cut and dry
Sure it is.

When people are free to act, they will always act in a way that they believe will maximize their utility, i.e., will raise them to the highest possible position on their value scale. Their utility ex ante will be maximized, provided we take care to interpret “utility” in an ordinal rather than a cardinal manner. Any action, any exchange that takes place on the free market or more broadly in the free society, occurs because of the expected benefit to each party concerned. If we allow ourselves to use the term “society” to depict the pattern of all individual exchanges, then we may say that the free market “maximizes” social utility, since everyone gains in utility.

Coercive intervention, on the other hand, signifies per se that the individual or individuals coerced would not have done what they are now doing were it not for the intervention. The individual who is coerced into saying or not saying something or into making or not making an exchange with the intervener or with someone else is having his actions changed by a threat of violence. The coerced individual loses in utility as a result of the intervention, for his action has been changed by its impact. Any intervention, whether it be autistic, binary, or triangular, causes the subjects to lose in utility. In autistic and binary intervention, each individual loses in utility; in triangular intervention, at least one, and sometimes both, of the pair of would-be exchangers lose in utility.

All instances of intervention, then, in contrast to the free market, are cases in which one set of men gains at the expense of other men.
In binary intervention, the gains and losses are “tangible” in the form of exchangeable goods and services; in other types of intervention, the gains are nonexchangeable satisfactions, and the loss consists in being coerced into less satisfying types of activity (if not positively painful ones).

McDonald's may have made a mistake, as human beings (and therefore markets) aren't inherently perfect. But McDonald's, as just another participant in a free market, is still more accountable than the TSA. This is just simple economic law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.