Letter to the Editor

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Letter to the Editor

From the Biloxi/Gulfport SunHerald, 11/25/2006:

At least we safe from a Preparation H bomb

My wife and I had occasion to take a trip to the Midwest last month. Our sense of well-being was greatly enhanced by the terrific work of the Department of Homeland Security.

My wife had her 2- or 3-ounce bottle of hand lotion confiscated and disposed of, while the lady behind her had her cosmetics in a plastic bag and was allowed to take her hand lotion on board. An elderly woman had her hemorrhoid cream confiscated and disposed of. Boy, did we feel secure.

On the return trip, a young man was pulled out of line because he was pulling an ice cooler for his medications. He was thoroughly frisked with the wand and a TSA person, wearing latex gloves, felt his body thoroughly several times, including his groin area. All of this was done in plain sight of his fellow travelers.

Amazing, but boy did we feel safe on the way back. These people who are keeping us safe are directed by the same people who brought us "We're fighting them over there rather than over here." What a relief!

JIM WILSON
Ocean Springs
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vassilipan
From the Biloxi/Gulfport SunHerald, 11/25/2006:

At least we safe from a Preparation H bomb

My wife and I had occasion to take a trip to the Midwest last month. Our sense of well-being was greatly enhanced by the terrific work of the Department of Homeland Security.

My wife had her 2- or 3-ounce bottle of hand lotion confiscated and disposed of, while the lady behind her had her cosmetics in a plastic bag and was allowed to take her hand lotion on board. An elderly woman had her hemorrhoid cream confiscated and disposed of. Boy, did we feel secure.

On the return trip, a young man was pulled out of line because he was pulling an ice cooler for his medications. He was thoroughly frisked with the wand and a TSA person, wearing latex gloves, felt his body thoroughly several times, including his groin area. All of this was done in plain sight of his fellow travelers.

Amazing, but boy did we feel safe on the way back. These people who are keeping us safe are directed by the same people who brought us "We're fighting them over there rather than over here." What a relief!

JIM WILSON
Ocean Springs
May it is pie-in-the-sky thinking (oops, sorry, I forgot no pies in the skies over Cleveland), but I truly believe that the American people are finally beginning to catch on that it's all smoke and mirrors, just an illusion.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:55 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by doober
May it is pie-in-the-sky thinking (oops, sorry, I forgot no pies in the skies over Cleveland), but I truly believe that the American people are finally beginning to catch on that it's all smoke and mirrors, just an illusion.
It's not smoke and mirrors. It's lies and rather poor lies at that.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
More reasons to hate TSA. What a bunch of morons.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:13 am

I've been thinking about this type of response for a while now... we as Americans and as Flyertalkers need to start broadcasting our experiences with a concerted effort. Not just here, but to the media, the white house, and our congresspeople.

Each and every time. And we need to encourage others to do the same.

I've posted in the past my experience with the TSA who, unprovoked, yelled at me "what do you think, I'm STUPID!!!!?" when I wanted to watch my laptop to prevent it from being broken again. Time has passed now, so the opportunity to complain is lost.

But my antipathy remains. And my certainty that the TSA is in the hands of aggressive, unintelligent, power-hungry agents. Yes, kindly TSAs exist, but they are offset by too many horrid ones. The fact that the balance is in favor of the negative leads me to conclude that TSA management is aware and condones such behaviour.

We need to start to make real noise.

Or else we're going to see mission creep that will lead to true repression.

Rita
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rkt10

But my antipathy remains. And my certainty that the TSA is in the hands of aggressive, unintelligent, power-hungry agents. Yes, kindly TSAs exist, but they are offset by too many horrid ones. The fact that the balance is in favor of the negative leads me to conclude that TSA management is aware and condones such behaviour.

We need to start to make real noise.

Or else we're going to see mission creep that will lead to true repression.

Rita
I totally agree, Rita - it comes down from the top, arrogance begats arrogance.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Dear Editor -

Last week I flew to two different cities on business, with my return the Friday before Thanksgiving - a busy time for everyone in the transportation business.

In all three of my transits through TSA I noticed a definite spirit of customer service and a real attempt by passengers to comply with the new security procedures.

The TSA "water announcer" at SFO was even doing "knock knock" jokes to try to get peoples attention so that they'd understand that juice boxes are a liquid!

I would like to comment the TSA people that I observe every month trying to do a difficult job helping people transit the security requirements.

Sincerely,

A Frequent Flyer
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
Dear Editor -

Last week I flew to two different cities on business, with my return the Friday before Thanksgiving - a busy time for everyone in the transportation business.

In all three of my transits through TSA I noticed a definite spirit of customer service and a real attempt by passengers to comply with the new security procedures.

The TSA "water announcer" at SFO was even doing "knock knock" jokes to try to get peoples attention so that they'd understand that juice boxes are a liquid!

I would like to comment the TSA people that I observe every month trying to do a difficult job helping people transit the security requirements.

Sincerely,

A Frequent Flyer
Sending in such letters as above don't constitute a squeaky wheel.

The squeaky wheels are the criticisms about the TSA ... and eventually those wheels will get the governmental grease, whether some like it or not.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:27 am

You know, I am an American-Israeli and I avoid flying into or through the USA like wildfire for these exact reasons. In Israel, every time I fly I am also subjected to questions and scans but in Israel (where security is very tight), we use some common sense, especially when it comes to our own citizens and employ 'passenger profiling'. Trained personal assesses whether you are likely to be dangerous or not. So most people are not harassed. Only time I was 'harassed' was when I was travelling with a single French male friend who was obviously not Israeli and also did not shave that day...

I think it is disgusting to hear how normal people are harassed everyday. And we all know that this doesn't help anyone, makes flying a nightmare, and at the end terrorists win. I never thought I'd see the day when I am not allowed to bring on board a bottle of shampoo! Just think about how ridiculous this sounds! Also it is very difficult to find all these liquids in small packages as marketeers over the years have supersized everything! At the end all this extra 'security' is tacked onto the price of our airfare, but the time you arrive at your destination you are broke, stressed out, and humiliated. Very good, great progress!
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sending in such letters as above don't constitute a squeaky wheel.

The squeaky wheels are the criticisms about the TSA ... and eventually those wheels will get the governmental grease, whether some like it or not.
I viewed that "letter" as more of a troll.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
I viewed that "letter" as more of a troll.
me too

there's simply too much anecdotal evidence to the contrary.
R.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by rkt10
me too

there's simply too much anecdotal evidence to the contrary.
R.
Gotta say I've seen both. The good does not excuse the bad.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 5:08 pm

Two data points let you draw a line, but not accurately.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 5:55 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Reminder: The TSA has NOTHING AT ALL to do with security. It is a giant, $6BB a year federal jobs program and nothing more. It employs the unemployable. Few shining points of security exist (Bart) but they are in the vast, vast minority.

--PP
Old Nov 25, 2006, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
Reminder: The TSA has NOTHING AT ALL to do with security. It is a giant, $6BB a year federal jobs program and nothing more. It employs the unemployable. Few shining points of security exist (Bart) but they are in the vast, vast minority.--PP
You say. Yawn.

I have a friend who quit his job with Glaxo to go run IT security for a (very small) part of the TSA. He's smarter than most people. Ahem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.