Wiki Posts
Search

If you get arrested . . .

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
If you are not an attorney familiar with the specific law in question, dispensing legal opinions on this board does a great disservice to your fellow Flyertalkers.
It does, however, make the rest of us look smarter. @:-)
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
I didn't go to law school, and I'm not a practicing attorney. Yet. That said, I nevertheless know quite a bit about the law. Are you disputing the fact that you should assert all rights that you're afforded? You're entitled to counsel. Get a lawyer. Case closed. Unless the facts are overwhelmingly against you, and the prosecutor offers some kind of deal, you should be his adversary.

As far as I know, prosecutors couldn't care less if you're guilty, they only care about putting you in jail regardless of your guilt. That's what I'm going to assume if I ever have to deal with one.
I'm not disbuting anything. I just know that when I don't know what I'm talking about, I normally shut-up.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mmartin4600
I'm not disbuting anything.
That's all I needed to know. Thank you.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:48 pm

As a criminal defense lawyer in Canada for 20 years, might I simply add that the advice given by PT is excellent, and those who choose not to follow it are doing so at their own peril . I have had 2 cases in the past year where what individuals have said on " anonymous " message boards have come back to bite them in the --- . Understand that I will explain but I have to be somewhat vague, and I will not go further than what I say in this post so dont ask....lol.
In one case it was a complainant (aka victim), who wrote a version of events, differing from his police statement, which we got wind of and were able to use to his surprise at trial. Quite frankly his credibility was destroyed when he , prior to being faced with his contradictory statement, denied that he had given "anyone , anywhere certain statements" .( There is no defence disclosure in my part of the world, so the element of surprise worked in our favour). It wasnt hard to show, that the postings came from him.
In the other case it was my client who chose not to follow the advice given to him namely "DO NOT DISCUSS YOUR CASE WITH ANYONE BUT ME ." It was definitely to his detriment that he chose to ignore the advice that he paid me for, and when he did so he operated on the presumption that I am hearing here...."no one will ever know it's me." I havent had the chance to ask him if he still posts on message boards from jail
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
As far as I know, prosecutors couldn't care less if you're guilty, they only care about putting you in jail regardless of your guilt. That's what I'm going to assume if I ever have to deal with one.
Your assumption is wildly incorrect and an egregious affront to the work of fine, honorable prosecutors throughout our country. A prosecutor's overriding objective is to do justice. Contrary to your erroneous assumption, prosecutors generally do care deeply about whether they can prove the accused guilty of the offense charged. This doesn't mean that prosecutors are infallible, of course, but to libel them as a class by making wildly inaccurate assumptions is a pretty despicable practice.

Lest this digression cause anybody to overlook the overriding point of this thread, let me repeat what I wrote earlier:
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Echoing PTravel's sage advice, let me be a little more blunt: if you ever find yourself in criminal jeopardy, shut up. Immediately. Let your lawyer do the talking. There's a reason the Miranda warnings include the admonition that anything can and will be used against you in a court of law.
Based on some recent postings on FlyerTalk, I would generally urge a corollary to this principle with regard to civil litigation: if you are involved in a civil lawsuit or are likely to become involved in a civil lawsuit, it is extremely unwise to post any information here on FlyerTalk as, in virtually every jurisdiction of which I am familiar, such postings are likely to become discoverable witness statements. As with criminal matters, anything you say or write may be used against you in a court of law, and unlike with criminal prosecutions, parties to civil litigation can be called to the stand to testify against their wishes. So, faced with the prospects of criminal jeopardy or civil litigation, do the smart thing and let your attorney be your mouthpiece.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Nov 7, 2007 at 5:31 pm
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Sat Lawyer, what you write about "fine, honorable prosecutors throughout our country" is quite true. However, there are other prosecutors in this country; unfortunately, not all are fine and honorable.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Sat Lawyer, what you write about "fine, honorable prosecutors throughout our country" is quite true. However, there are other prosecutors in this country; unfortunately, not all are fine and honorable.
Can you provide source material to prove this? Or this your opinion?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Based on some recent postings on FlyerTalk, I would generally urge a corollary to this principle with regard to civil litigation: if you are involved in a civil lawsuit or are likely to become involved in a civil lawsuit, it is extremely unwise to post any information here on FlyerTalk as, in virtually every jurisdiction of which I am familiar, such postings are likely to become discoverable witness statements. As with criminal matters, anything you say or write may be used against you in a court of law, and unlike with criminal prosecutions, parties to civil litigation can be called to the stand to testify against their wishes. So, faced with the prospects of criminal jeopardy or civil litigation, do the smart thing and let your attorney be your mouthpiece.
Let me add this, as I too am an attorney. Rarely does a week go by that I do not receive an advertisement or article promoting a course or service relating to the discovery of electronic documents ("e-discovery," as it's colloquially called). This is rapidly becoming a legal specialty in its own right and there are indeed investigators who specialize in obtaining such information.

Nothing written on the message boards of Flyertalk is immune from a subpoena. I would suggest the membership records are equally discoverable.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:16 pm

Your assumption is wildly incorrect and an egregious affront to the work of fine, honorable prosecutors throughout our country. A prosecutor's overriding objective is to do justice. Contrary to your erroneous assumption, prosecutors generally do care deeply about whether they can prove the accused guilty of the offense charged. This doesn't mean that prosecutors are infallible, of course, but to libel them as a class by making wildly inaccurate assumptions is a pretty despicable practice.
This is simply my opinion and I certainly never meant to "libel" anyone. It should only be taken as simply that; an opinion of someone who's increasingly jaded by the practices of Bush and Co. If anyone is offended, I apologize. It makes it easier for someone to crush their adversary if they consider their adversary despicable.

It is true that there are prosecutors who "do care about justice" but there ARE also prosecutors who will resort to unethical tactics to gain every last conviction, or prosecute people based on political motivation. I can't name examples but they're out there. Just like there are good cops and bad cops, there are good and bad prosecutors and good and bad defense attorneys. No profession is exempt from having the few bad members. Politicians, on the other hand.....

Although I doubt that you'll have defended defense lawyers if I said the same about defense lawyers.

I'm sure someone long dead and gone said this, but you lose if you underestimate your enemy, and you win if you overestimate him.

Last edited by stupidhead; Nov 7, 2007 at 7:26 pm
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:05 pm

Programs: EXP 1MM
Proof you say

FoxNews.com Friday, June 22, 2007
"Beleaguered and disbarred former District Attorney Mike Nifong, who prosecuted the Duke University lacrosse rape case, could wind up in jail if a motion is granted asking that criminal charges be filed against him."

Further at:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,285998,00.html

We have had a number of cases recently here in NC where death penalty sentences have been overturned based upon withholding of evidence. The prosecutors always maintain that they never withheld any evidence, but the appeals courts typically orders a new trial.

J...
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Although I doubt that you'll have defended defense lawyers if I said the same about defense lawyers.
Guess again. I am primarily a defense attorney. A civil defense attorney.

Let's not ruin a valuable thread with commentary of dubious value.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 5:33 am

Programs: Vanishing
Does the name Nifong ring a bell?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by L-1011
Does the name Nifong ring a bell?
So you and setb have come up with one example. I don't think it is fair to consider all prosecuters accountable for his actions.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
My local ex-prosecutor, who also had a practice on the side as is customary for a smaller jurisdiction, was recently disbarred for soliciting a different form of payment for his services. See Disciplinary Counsel v. Sturgeon.

I'm sure we can find any number of examples of goofballs who've served as prosecutors. However, I tend to agree with SAT Lawyer and the others who feel that prosecutors are for the most part an honorable group. Blanket statements such as the one that started this recent sidetrack do nothing to further the good information contained in the rest of this thread, so I'll hope that my off-topic thread is the last and that we can get back to the matters at hand.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bankingconsultant
However, I tend to agree with SAT Lawyer and the others who feel that prosecutors are for the most part an honorable group. Blanket statements such as the one that started this recent sidetrack do nothing to further the good information contained in the rest of this thread, so I'll hope that my off-topic thread is the last and that we can get back to the matters at hand.
Seems that certain blanket statements are acceptable until they offend certain people.

I've always found lawyers frustrating. In my previous line of work, whenever I conducted investigations, I grimaced having to work with our command's attorney because of the seemingly ridiculous restrictions he would place on us when common sense seemed to dictate otherwise. However, I did understand that he was trying to help us develop the strongest case possible that would withstand judicial scrutiny once presented in court. I also understood that intelligence investigations, unlike the standard criminal investigation, naturally drew more scrutiny and suspicion because of the Church Commission, Watergate and Iran-Contra. The bar was a little higher for espionage prosecution and other related crimes, and perhaps for good reason. But that didn't change the fact that it was indeed frustrating to work within such tight restrictions for what was, in my opinion, perhaps the most serious of all national crimes: treason and espionage.

The "operations" side was much easier and a lot more fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.